Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Fighting Games Suck

Options
  • 15-08-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Lifted from Shoryuken.com
    http://www.examiner.com/xbox-360-in-national/why-fighting-games-suck-2

It seems we've been playing a **** genre this whole time. This article has opened my eyes by explaining how Smash Bros is the only FG that requires actual skill - not just a good memory.
    Here's a choice exerpt on player strategy, or lack there of in FGs.
    In First Person Shooters, not only do you need to have an expert level of precision aiming and knowledge of the game, but you also have to be able to outsmart your opponents. You need to be able to predict their strategy and adapt to their tactics. In most cases you also need to use teamwork to overcome the enemy team. Fighters aren't predictable at all because you never know how the other guy is going to fight. Will this guy spam jump kick? If so you just need to think about what beats that to win. Maybe will he spam Fireball so you have to think about what beats that and you'll win. Fighters come down to who has more experience to know what to do at any given moment, not about skill at the game.
    I think it's time we close up this forum before we waste any more of our time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

All I could see when I read this article was "derpderpderp".

I wonder if it's a problem with my monitor. Or a guy talking out of his ass.

* Also, quote of the week;
    Fighting games suck.
    And not just because I suck at playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CrossBreed

I facepalmed so hard there I nearly sent my nose out the back of my skull. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

The best part is where he says FGs require no skill.

lol, just, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

The video he links to is of Guile playing the AI on default difficulty. This person must be removed from the gene pool asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

The weird thing is, he seems to be fully aware of his own ignorance, he just carries on assuming it won't matter. I was waiting for a punchline the whole time. It was like sarcasm without actually being, you know, sarcastic.

It's genuinely people like him that give the internet a bad name. Well, paedophiles too, but among those who actually use the internet, it's blissfully uninformed people like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The more hits it gets, the better it's received and the more articles this guy gets to write so :

Please_Do_Not_Feed_The_Troll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I was hoping this would be some sort of intelligent dissimulation of the kind of pleasure different genre of games give different people, and how fighters could theoretically suck if it didn't fill any of your recreational needs.

But no, this guy is just a tit who doesn't know anything about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

He's writing for newspaper, he doesn't have the same insight as you about the fg community. He can only write from his own experience, ye know. He's right about their heyday being long over though.

Well he should educate himself then instead of writing pure ****e. It's his responsibility imo

Not really. As I said above he's a troll pure and simple. He's just writing for reaction.

Examiner.com isn't really a newspaper. I mean they will put anything on that site and don't care as long as people are visiting the site.

The article shows a lot of ignorance regarding basic level of fighters. You don't need to be actively involved in fighting games to know that many 3D fighters have been massively successful. This wilful ignorance shows that he is a troll. Even with his talk about shooters he doesn't seem that knowledgeable.

I was going to make some point about Daigo, Fatal1ty and BoxeR but I can't remember it now, so I will content myself with posting some videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

He's right about their heyday being long over though.

Yeah no one really plays them any more

evopano2010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

this thread is now about spotting hot girls in the above image
    at the bottom, bearded ninja in green shirt, girl right above him

Right of the stage. Pretty much level with the table. Some dude is checking her out.

Also bigger picture plz.

Chick sitting in chairs behind the rope, beside a guy filming :pac:

Ramza wrote: »
    Chick sitting in chairs behind the rope, beside a guy filming :pac:

There's another one sitting beside this one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

One of the (many) things I disliked about this artivcle was the part where he claims that the backgrounds in fighting games are simply backgrounds. Nothing but scenery? Ok, this is true for some of the genre's games, but surely doesn't apply to all of them. Mortal Kombat: Deception immediately springs to mind. Not a fantastic game, but the backgrounds were part of the fight. There were death-traps and other sure painfull stuff placed around the arenas, making the player constantly watch his step even while in the heat of the battle to ensure he didn't wind up getting mashed up in a grinder and sprayed across the wall behind it.
    One that stands out in my mind is the Falling cliff (I think that was the name of it) level. It pretty much did exactly what it said on the tin. You fought on a small circular cliff above a pit of spikes, and as the fight prigressed, the lost more and more mass, leaving the player with little or no room to maneuver.

Lets not forget the Ring Out effect of Battle Arena Toshendin, and Soul Calibur to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

The article is pure nonsense & flambait TBH.

Firstly he's writing for an online edition of a broadsheet, so he's trying to be as inflammatory as he can to show he can elicit loads of hits, so one fine day he can get an article in the paper, in actual INK!

We could all pick it apart and type huge swathes of text to invalidate his arguement.

This his his summation of why FPS require skill.
    not only do you need to have an expert level of precision aiming and knowledge of the game, but you also have to be able to outsmart your opponents. You need to be able to predict their strategy and adapt to their tactics

Remind anyone of tactics needed in a game we all play?
    (Except Doom, Back/Forward BOOM!)

The rage in the comments of that article guarantee he's smiling and rocking into a meeting with the online editor of that rag with a great powerpoint presentation.
    He knows exactly what he's done.

It's the evolution of the tabloids "Violent games make people violent." (Manhunt, GTA etc.)
    He's provoking a reaction, and he's got it. Pay that man a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Orim wrote: »
    Right of the stage. Pretty much level with the table. Some dude is checking her out.

Also bigger picture plz.

pretty sure that's Kayane who buss up Doom at WGC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

*Just* backgrounds?

It's impossible to nit-pick an article like this with so little knowledge or facts behind it. I don't think he made a single point I couldn't disagree with.

• Advertisement

Can people stop reading the article and get onto the srs bizness of finding women in the EVO crowd!

Priorities people!

Advertisement