Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello world Slim!

Options
  • 15-08-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

<c4eva> 9504TEST - Hello world Slim! [ Commence utter chaos in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... GO ]

Any1 else hear about this! Id say its firmware related as he is always the 1 for firmware while other teams are responsible for JTag.

Im really hoping its more like JTag as id love if newer kernals were moddable as i dont have a xbox that is vunerable.

What makes it confusing is hello world! as any 1 who knows programming, knows that means its compleatly hacked!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

<c4eva> 9504TEST - Hello world Slim! [ Commence utter chaos in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... GO ]

Any1 else hear about this! Id say its firmware related as he is always the 1 for firmware while other teams are responsible for JTag.

Im really hoping its more like JTag as id love if newer kernals were moddable as i dont have a xbox that is vunerable.

What makes it confusing is hello world! as any 1 who knows programming, knows that means its compleatly hacked!

Pretty straight forward. 9504 is the firmware version of the new DG16D4S dvd drive located in the xbox 360 slim.

My guess is has either accomplished a workable firmware or has just received the firmware from a uncapped drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Thor wrote: »
    Pretty straight forward. 9504 is the firmware version of the new DG16D4S dvd drive located in the xbox 360 slim.

My guess is has either accomplished a workable firmware or has just received the firmware from a uncapped drive.

Yea i was thinking that myself but i was hoping it was fully hacked.

Think its time to get a new slim!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You seriously need to brush up on how the JTAG was accomplished, how long it took to find that vulnerability and how Microsoft stopped it. In short, I wouldn't hold my breath for another JTAG exploit.

You seriously need to brush up on how the JTAG was accomplished, how long it took to find that vulnerability and how Microsoft stopped it. In short, I wouldn't hold my breath for another JTAG exploit.

Yea i know how hard it was to do!
    I was just hoping is all. Miracles can happen!
    I was hoping maybe they left something vunerable in the new slim i know its highly doudtfull as M$ spent a fortune on making the 360 unhackable with custom chips and all.

Its really amazing how they let something as easy as a dvd drive firmware slip through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Didn't really slip through, it's more the fact that's it's not encrypted and it can just be read straight off it. Apparently there's gonna be something monitoring DVD firmware with the new updates for Kinect, never use Live myself anyway!

• Advertisement

Apparently its been done!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRvrwWoSJY

Dont know how real that vid is!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How much of a surprise is this? Doesn't the S use the same Kernel/Architecture as a standard 360, meaning it's drive firmware cant be TOO different. It's not like they can encrypt the f/w like Sony has done with the PS3. Rumours abound of direct firmware monitoring soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

FWIW, was reading just yesterday about how the firmware for Sony BR drives has been dumped and decrypted. That's a pretty good step in the right direction, if they can decrypt it, surely they have some key's or something..

They've also gotten the BR drive working on a PC too, so you could backup disks onto your PC and hopefully down the road, burn them and play them (eventually it'll be cheaper). Although homebrew would be more impressive (and is what I'm looking for, compared to playing backups). They had screenshots of it being picked up in Imgburn, Jungleflasher and Nero (read only obv.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wez wrote: »
    FWIW, was reading just yesterday about how the firmware for Sony BR drives has been dumped and decrypted. That's a pretty good step in the right direction, if they can decrypt it, surely they have some key's or something..

They've also gotten the BR drive working on a PC too, so you could backup disks onto your PC and hopefully down the road, burn them and play them (eventually it'll be cheaper). Although homebrew would be more impressive (and is what I'm looking for, compared to playing backups). They had screenshots of it being picked up in Imgburn, Jungleflasher and Nero (read only obv.).

While it is progress, arn't there quite a few SPU's dedicated to security within the PS3? One of them controls security of the BD drive, so unless they can manage to spoof the SPU with what looks like genuine data, I can't see it going much further. BDR's are still too dear to impact on the PS3 yet though I feel. A HD loader or something, now that would be a big issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement