Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox Live/Router Problems

• 15-08-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, having a lot of trouble over the past few days with Live and I'm guessing my router. For the last 5 years I have been using the same old Netopia modem that my ISP provided back in 05, in the last month or so I changed over to the newer model I got sent out when I moved home. To avoid confusion I'd been using my old modem here for over a year with no issues before switching to the newer one so my line isn't the problem.

I switched to the newer modem as I wanted the WPA2 protection rather than wep, and figured a newer router would probably be a good idea considering I'd been using the same one for 5 years, it's smaller and doesn't look as unpleasant as my older blocky one.

Now for weeks this new modem has given me no issues at all, apart from the PS3 saying my Nat settings are 3 and it may impact on chat features etc, since I rarely use chat on my PS3 I didn't really care at the time. But since Friday night for some reason I can't connect to an Xbox Live party with the new modem anymore. I tried restarting the modem and Xbox, clearing my cache etc and it's still not working now.

Last night out of frustration I set up the old modem again to see if it worked, and it did, first time round with no problems. I rang eircom twice this morning and got pretty much no help whatsoever. The woman I got through to first time tried accessing my router and said she was unable to get into the advanced settings, after some pondering she just suggested I turn my firewall off, as long as I have a firewall on my machines it would be no problem according to her.

I was skeptical of this as as my previous modem didn't require this, I only had to set the settings to low to enable Xbox live before and I had done the same on this modem and it had worked until now. After trying port forwarding with no luck I caved and turned the router firewall off. My PS3 still complains my nat settings are 3 even with it off, and No friends are on live at present to test it out with, but I'm guessing it would be the same.

I rang up eircom a second time with the reference number from the first call and I got through to a guy who was impossible to hear for the most part, but all I got in the end was we don't support that and we don't do Nat or port configuration and he directed me to portforwarding.com . And to make matters even more frustrating the router model isn't listed on the site, and when I checked the steps for the closest model to it with screenshots that looked the same as my router it was still a no go.

I have all the wires for this modem tacked to the skirting board and I really don't want to have to revert to my old router, has anyone got any idea what I should do? I can live without PSN but Every day I use Xbox Live parties. I can't think of anything else to try. I'm guessing Microsoft would just blow me off as why should they help me with my router it hasn't got Microsoft stamped on it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

its most likely you nat settings

if you post you modem someone might be able to give you step by step to turn them off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Such a large post I forgot the most important thing. :rolleyes:

It's an eircom/Motorola Netopia router I think the model number is 2247-62-2EIR.

Looks like this one:

28843908.JPG

I have tried a lot of the solutions around the web, have been reading forums all day.
    Anyone who has a way I haven't tried or a way they know works, please help me!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sorry dude I missed your message on live earlier when you wanted to test.

Leaving the firewall off on the router is no major harm as long as your computers are firewalled, and the default admin password for the router has been changed to a strong one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've a different router (BT Voyager) but I found that the only way to get Xbox Live to work correctly was to setup port forwarding with a static IP address on the Xbox, and the ports opened and set to forward to that IP address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

I solved the problem both on the Xbox and PS3, I set both of them up to go online through PPPOE, NaT settings are now 1 on both of them and all features etc work fine, and I get to keep the firewall on my modem on. I don't fully understand PPPOE, but I think it gives the consoles a single IP or something along that line. I seen the solution when reading around, it works fine but I have no idea how. :)

Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet confuses me slightly as my PS3 is connecting wireless so I don't understand how it remedies the problem for the PS3, but it worked for both so no complaints.

calex71 wrote:
    Sorry dude I missed your message on live earlier when you wanted to test.

No worries, it's sorted now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement