Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shower Plumbing in Help.

• 15-08-2010 12:39pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right need a small bit of help here replacing an old (very old--originally fitted in 1982 and only packed up on Thursday) shower-Its probably something simple that Im missing.

Just bought a replacement shower that has a 15mm water inlet connection on it--Its a UK made shower and the instructions say its a 15 mm inlet.

The problem--My house is that old that its using all Irish 1/2 inch pipes and connections.

I need to put an elbow on the shower to connect from the 15mm connection to the 1/2 inch existing connection and I picked up an Irish 1/2 elbow but it wont fit on to the shower inlet--its too small for the pipe that coming out of the shower.

Is there an adapter that I can buy?

Will qualpex fittings fit onto the 15mm connection?

Changing the pipe isnt an option as its buried behind the wall with just a 1/2 pipe/joint coming out of the wall.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

An irish nut and ring on a 15MM elbow is what you need.
    Also ,john guest fittings sometimes do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    An irish nut and ring on a 15MM elbow is what you need.
    Also ,john guest fittings sometimes do.

As said. you will be fine with this. Go into a plumbers providers and ask for a 1/2" elbow and a 15mm nut and ring.

Let us know how it goes with the shower....

Qualpex will be fine.. as your using mains pressure make sure to fit a lever valve so you can isolate it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

As said. you will be fine with this. Go into a plumbers providers and ask for a 1/2" elbow and a 15mm nut and ring.

Joey I have a 1/2" elbow and it wont fit onto the inlet pipe on the shower--it has too small an inner diameter.

Is it not a 15mm elbow and 1/2" nut and ring---and if it is will the 1/2" nut and ring fit onto a 15mm elbow??
    Qualpex will be fine.. as your using mains pressure make sure to fit a lever valve so you can isolate it.

I need to extend the existing pipe by less than 6 inches to reach the new shower so I take it I can use the push on qualpex fittings then?
    Its already isolated in the attic with a lever--Makes it a hell of a lot easier to work on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

QUOTE]
    you got that backwards his elbow is grand 15mm ,attach to shower , he needs to change the nut and ring that connects to the qualpex to an irish one 1/2 inch nut and ring -

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Joey I have a 1/2" elbow and it wont fit onto the inlet pipe on the shower--it has too small an inner diameter.

Is it not a 15mm elbow and 1/2" nut and ring---and if it is will the 1/2" nut and ring fit onto a 15mm elbow??

I need to extend the existing pipe by less than 6 inches to reach the new shower so I take it I can use the push on qualpex fittings then?
    Its already isolated in the attic with a lever--Makes it a hell of a lot easier to work on.

Ah now i know whats the problem. Get yourself a 15mm nut and use a 1/2" olive in the nut and dont forget the insert in the pex. You can use pex but i generaally avoid it with mains. Its up to you though.

• Advertisement

knighted_1 wrote: »
    QUOTE]
    you got that backwards his elbow is grand 15mm ,attach to shower , he needs to change the nut and ring that connects to the qualpex to an irish one 1/2 inch nut and ring -

Nah from reading i am getting that the problem is the unit has a little swivel elbow built into it...Like a mira elite...and what you do here is cheange the olive...simple.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

knighted_1 wrote: »

Nah from reading i am getting that the problem is the unit has a little swivel elbow built into it...Like a mira elite...and what you do here is cheange the olive...simple.

Nah-It doesnt.It has a straight piece of pipe on the bottom of the shower already with a nut and olive on it--The nut is a 15mm nut.I bought a 1/2" elbow and it wont fit onto this picec of pipe.

Excuse the pic but it might make it easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

what you need to buy is a 15mm elbow and attach this to your shower then on the other side of the elbow unscrew the nut and discard the 15mm olive and use a half inch olive in its place to join up to the half inch pipe if using plex pipe make sure you use an insert in the end of the plastic pipe

dathi wrote: »
    what you need to buy is a 15mm elbow and attach this to your shower then on the other side of the elbow unscrew the nut and discard the 15mm olive and use a half inch olive in its place to join up to the half inch pipe if using plex pipe make sure you use an insert in the end of the plastic pipe

Thanks Daithi.Will the 1/2" pipe fit into a 15mm elbow though and do I use the other 15mm nut from the elbow on the 1/2 " pipe aswell or a 1/2" nut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

edit -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

yes the half inch pipe will fit in the 15mm elbow and yes use the 15mm nut on the elbow but change the olive for a half inch one for the half inch pipe

Right just wanted to say thanks to you lot.

Got the shower plumbed in and working 100%.

Cheers.

Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I wont bother in future:D

Advertisement