Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I stand if my flatmate moves out?

Options
  • 15-08-2010 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

I am getting way ahead of myself here and planning for something that might not even happen. :o

Background story - in January, my friend and I signed a one year lease for an apartment (through an estate agent.) At the time, we both worked in D1 and got the apartment in that area.

However, just a couple of weeks after we moved in together she got transferred to Dundrum and it's a long enough journey for her every day. She's also starting college in September on the southside, and also her sister (who has been abroad for a few years) just came back to Dublin and is likely to be starting work near Dundrum very soon.

When we moved in together, we expected it to be for a few years, but I could definitely see her and her sister moving in together closer to work/college when the lease is up in January, I'm sure they'll ask me too but I love our apartment, and it's so close to work, so I definitely don't want to move.

What I'm wondering is, what happens if I want to stay? I obviously can't afford the rent on my own, but would I have to find a new tenant or would that be up to the landlord/estate agent? And if so would I have any say in the matter? And how would the lease work then, I'm not all that comfortable about signing a lease agreement along with someone that I don't know, are there any legal implications or anything concerning that?

Thanks for any opinions ... I'm quite new to this whole renting thing! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

She signed a lease,shes liable to pay the rent til the end of the lease,if you can,t find a friend to move in,maybe you should start looking for a 1bed apartment or 1bed flat in a few months.ITS a renters market .I,DONT think its your job to look for a new tenant,unless you want to stay there after the end of the lease.you can just move out, january,find a 1bed unit .

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

I am getting way ahead of myself here and planning for something that might not even happen. :o

Background story - in January, my friend and I signed a one year lease for an apartment (through an estate agent.) At the time, we both worked in D1 and got the apartment in that area.

However, just a couple of weeks after we moved in together she got transferred to Dundrum and it's a long enough journey for her every day. She's also starting college in September on the southside, and also her sister (who has been abroad for a few years) just came back to Dublin and is likely to be starting work near Dundrum very soon.

When we moved in together, we expected it to be for a few years, but I could definitely see her and her sister moving in together closer to work/college when the lease is up in January, I'm sure they'll ask me too but I love our apartment, and it's so close to work, so I definitely don't want to move.

What I'm wondering is, what happens if I want to stay? I obviously can't afford the rent on my own, but would I have to find a new tenant or would that be up to the landlord/estate agent? And if so would I have any say in the matter? And how would the lease work then, I'm not all that comfortable about signing a lease agreement along with someone that I don't know, are there any legal implications or anything concerning that?

Thanks for any opinions ... I'm quite new to this whole renting thing! :o

the apt will be rented as a whole not seperate rooms so you if you want to stay then its up to you to find someone else to take the other persons room and they will also more than likely have to sign the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Only your landlord can answer your questions really. If I were you I'd find a friend to move in with you, landlords don't always want to have to deal with 2 seperate leases and it's usually better to live with a friend than a stranger as chosen by your landlord

It is a good while away yet and you might change your mind and want to live elsewhere so don't stress too much yet.

Advertisement