Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does "Snowmageddon" Lead to Baby Boom?

Options
  • 15-08-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Does "Snowmageddon" Lead to Baby Boom?
    Last year's "snowmageddon" may mean you should have some extra "new baby" cards on hand.

Legend has it, you will see a jump in the birth rate approximately nine months after severe winter storms.

In general, the months with the highest birthrates include July, August and September, from which we can deduce that conception typically occurred in November, December and January.

Apparently, people are finding something to keep them occupied during winter's longer nights.

Snowfall records were broken this past winter as snow piled up in Washington, D.C., and in many other locations up and down the Eastern Seaboard. So will we be seeing a record birth month on the East Coast in August this year?

Bumper crop of babies due next month.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Not really snow related, but most animals follow this pattern. You want your young born in good weather with plenty of food to give them a good start.

Whilst humans are not 'obliged' to follow this pattern, we still do, presumably because the female is more fertile or receptive.

Also it is well known that more potential baby making occurs in the warmer months, but this does not lead to baby booms, World Cup exempted and it may have more to do with the fact that the male is less fertile in the warmer climates.

Anyway, if you see from the quote you posted, most conceptions are before December and our Winter usually starts 1st January, for September births, the other two months would not had had snow or even real cold weather.

So, erm, Busted I'd say. ;0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

gbee wrote: »
    it may have more to do with the fact that the male is less fertile in the warmer climates.
    Wow! Is that fact? Very interesting. I always associated places like Africa, the Middle East and the Med area as being places with larg(er) families. You learn something new every day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

yes it does

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

How about rainmageddon? I mean, you can go sledding in the snow, but what is there to do in the rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

How about rainmageddon? I mean, you can go sledding in the snow, but what is there to do in the rain?
    not much MT, not much at all. The old baby making lark just becomes tedious after a winter full of it....

844115933_da215c9356.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

Well, when there is enough rain..

Squarewave wrote: »
    Well, when there is enough rain..

poor guys didn't spot the 'WARNING Raw Sewage' sign at the end of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

My Father was born September '47. Looks like Grandad kept Granny warm in the Big Snow of January 1947!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

YES:D my wife is 3 days overdue now

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    YES:D my wife is 3 days overdue now
    best of luck to you both

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

There are a lot of babys in my area due in September so maybe the big chill has something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

September babies are not the big freeze babies, the reasons i know this are as follows:

- It snowed on our xmas party night which was 18th Dec
    - The heavy frost started the 23 rd decemeber, reason i know this i fell on my arse running
    - The first big snow fall was new years eve in Dublin, reason I remember this, wife was in bed sick and i was trying to get her up to look at the snow!

- Remember the wife climbing a rail fence in heuston station when going for the train, as all buses had stop running this was january.

Reason why i remember all of these is that my wife was pregnant then just bearly:) We knew when climbing the rail fence in the station :)

Late Sept but mainly oct will be the snow babies, ours is due 10th sept!

September babies are not the big freeze babies, the reasons i know this are as follows:

- It snowed on our xmas party night which was 18th Dec
    - The heavy frost started the 23 rd decemeber, reason i know this i fell on my arse running
    - The first big snow fall was new years eve in Dublin, reason I remember this, wife was in bed sick and i was trying to get her up to look at the snow!

- Remember the wife climbing a rail fence in heuston station when going for the train, as all buses had stop running this was january.

Reason why i remember all of these is that my wife was pregnant then just bearly:) We knew when climbing the rail fence in the station :)

Late Sept but mainly oct will be the snow babies, ours is due 10th sept!
    Congratulations,Mid september to mid october are the big freeze babys indeed. , here in Donegal anyways :D
    By the way we had heavy frost here from near mid december to near mid January.
    Had numerous snowfalls , but the biggest being on Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    There are a lot of babys in my area due in September so maybe the big chill has something to do with it.

i'd say it just as likely due to them living in a desolate wasteland like Donegal:p

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    best of luck to you both
    born 1st september :)

i'd say it just as likely due to them living in a desolate wasteland like Donegal:p
    Mayos birth rate shouldnt be far behind then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Correlation != causation. For Ireland anyway.

Ireland is in the grip of a baby boom at the moment - all of the children born in the last baby boom between 1970 and 1985 are now marrying and having children. The snow has little to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And remmeber in 25 years time the property boom will happen again, so buy early for your pension and sell 5 years later at the peak!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Glad we have escaped.. To warmer climes and a gentler land.

But yes, we are selling a lot of baby knitteds now.... And the general feeling is that the bad winter led to this...

• Advertisement
Advertisement