Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new potatoes

Options
  • 15-08-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

i planted home guards last march and started digging them last month. all was well until this week when the latest ones i dug had brown spots inside and were not fit to eat. i was told that these spots occured because the potatoes were in the ground to long. can anyone explain ?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Was it this?

124211.jpg

Blight that worked its way down from the potato top into the tuber. Usually you would cut off the foilage to the ground to avoid this happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Did you plant them in new ground or did you plant them in the same ground as last year???

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

it was new ground thats what i cant understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well if it wasn't blight, you usually smell it before you see it. Where the potatoes brown in the centre of the tuber? Could have been a minerial deficiency, usually shows up more in stored produce but homeguards season was over ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

yes the potatoes were brown in the centre they must have been going rotten

• Advertisement
Advertisement