If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Streamium MCi298 system

Options
  • 15-08-2010 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi All

We have just taken delivery of the latest Philips Streamium system, the MCi298.

have a looksee at the spec's here -
    http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mci298_05/mci298_05_pss_eng.pdf

**NOTE**
    On page two of the leaflet it says you can store music on the devices Hard Disc and stream JPEGS - you cant! This unit has no onboard Hard Disc nor can it show JPEGS.
    Just thought I'd let you know!

This is a pretty cool wallmountable INTERNET Radio (as well as a good old fashioned analogue FM radio) CD system.
    It has a Digital Amplifier on board that puts out 10 Watts per channel.
    Its a suprisingly full sound especially considering its compact dimensions

The internet radio is very cool - we've spent hours exploring different stations around the world, some very cool like "FM181 80's Hairband rock":D and "181FM Classical Guitar" oh and some other "interesting" stations as well....
    You can have this comm with your router wirelessly or hardwire it in should you wish.

It will play most CD's types including MP3 and WMA CD's

It will of course stream music from your PC/MAC including music from your iTunes library

You get a 3.5mm line input to playback audio an external device as well as a USB input. Oh

check it out in store.

atb
    Ash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

How much are these things going?

Can you use them for zoned audio - my squeeze box setup just isn't cutting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Shane732

I seem to have left that crucial piece of info out of the original post:o....
    They sell for €249.99.

You can have this in a completely different part of the house compared to your PC and stream music to it no sweat.
    Is this what you had in mind?

Ash

Hi Shane732

I seem to have left that crucial piece of info out of the original post:o....
    They sell for €249.99.

You can have this in a completely different part of the house compared to your PC and stream music to it no sweat.
    Is this what you had in mind?

Ash

Hi Ashley,

What I really have in mind is zoned music - so for example if I buy 2 or 3 streamiums can I have them all playing the same song synced to eachother at the one time? Like Sonos...

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Shane732 wrote: »
    Hi Ashley,

What I really have in mind is zoned music - so for example if I buy 2 or 3 streamiums can I have them all playing the same song synced to eachother at the one time? Like Sonos...

Shane,

Ash is right the MCi298 really is a cool bit of kit and at just €249.99 it's a mad price!

Here is a link to the full user manual:

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mci298_05/mci298_05_dfu_eng.pdf

I have had a brief play with this unit myself and it really does look and work well - on the specifics of a 'party mode' I'm not sure if there is a specific party mode however you can of course stream from any MCi298's from the same server but I'm not sure if you can syncronise the content.

I'll ask Ash & the guys to have a play and get back to you...or of course do please feel free to come in and twiddle the knobs yourself..;)

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6961

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Shane732

I've had a read of the instructions this am and it make no mention of linking multiple MCi298 together, nor is there anything in the units settings that would indicate that this is actually possible.

I cant see why you couldnt have a couple of MCi298 steaming from one PC - I've asked our rep if this can indeed be done and will get back to you with an answer.

I'll get back to you with an update a little later.

atb
    Ash

• Advertisement

Hi Shane732

I've had a read of the instructions this am and it make no mention of linking multiple MCi298 together, nor is there anything in the units settings that would indicate that this is actually possible.

I cant see why you couldnt have a couple of MCi298 steaming from one PC - I've asked our rep if this can indeed be done and will get back to you with an answer.

I'll get back to you with an update a little later.

atb
    Ash

Brilliant thanks for this....

Anyword on this?

Hi Shane732

Sorry for delay....

OK I have spoken with our rep who spoke with the tech bods in Philips.

And what they have said is that the MCi298 was never designed to link together in groups. - they were designed as a standalone unit that can access your PC and internet radio via your Broadband Router.

As for mutliple units streaming music from one PC they have never tested that!

Basically this unit is a standalone device and was not envisaged as being used as part of a multi room system like your Sonos or indeed our old WACS streamium systems.

Not what you wanted to hear I guess:(

atb
    Ash

Hi again

We have received more MCi298 into stock so we will have a little playabout and see if we can get two to comm with our laptop and stream two different tracks.

will report back our findings

atb
    Ash

Hi Shane

OK Good news.
    We set up two MCi298 and had them communicating with our shop laptop. They both streamed music no worries via our Broadband router once you load up the software that comes supplied with the units, called Twonkymedia.

on both machines at the same time we tried -
    1) Different songs from different artists
    2) Different songs from same artist/album
    3) Same song from same artist/album

and had no problems.
    As to how many you can have linked to your PC will probably depend on the power of your PC and router

The units behave independently of each other, in as much as they themselves dont link together sop dont offer any sort of party mode or the like.

hope that helps a little

cheers
    Ash

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.