Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy slr in newyork

• 15-08-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hi all,

Looking at buying a dslr in the region of €400, i am heading to Newyork next month and wonder if i should hang on and try get one over there. Has anyone bought over there, is there much of a price difference ? what is the warrenty and were is the best place to buy, do i have to pay duty when coming home ??

Cheers
    Mojo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ellfish

I'd be interested to hear people's views on this one ... thinking of buying a canon s 90 soon and my girlfriend could get it in NY for me. Would you have any warranty if it is in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

mojo25 wrote: »
    hi all,

Looking at buying a dslr in the region of €400, i am heading to Newyork next month and wonder if i should hang on and try get one over there. Has anyone bought over there, is there much of a price difference ? what is the warrenty and were is the best place to buy, do i have to pay duty when coming home ??

Cheers
    Mojo.

try some the online stores like 42 st photo/ bh photo to get idea on prices before you go , beware of lots of sharp sales practice in some the camera stores . look for worldwide warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mojo25

Thanks for that, I checked out 42nd camera in NY, i reckon i could get a starter slr for $400, Im thinking a manufactures warrenty would stand in Europe, ?? another think might cause problems is the charging method, would the unit work on our power supply,?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Thanks for that, I checked out 42nd camera in NY, i reckon i could get a starter slr for $400, Im thinking a manufactures warrenty would stand in Europe, ?? another think might cause problems is the charging method, would the unit work on our power supply,?

Canon Europe won't provide warranty cover for 'grey import'
    cameras. They may cover SLR lenses which have an international
    warranty. This means that you will have to send the camera
    back to America for warranty repairs. This could be a bit messy,
    especially if you forgot to pay VAT/duty when you brought it
    into the country.

You will need an adapter for the charger. Make sure the
    charger is rated for 230V before you plug it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Lenses have worldwide warranty once they aren't grey imports. Bodies do not if they have US warranty and aren't grey market goods. Look into investing in the MACK worldwide warranty but I don't see that as being worthwhile for a body thats only €400.

I bought a 24-70 2.8 in NY which had taken a knock before I bought it. would have cost about €700 to repair, instead I took the option of sending it to Nikon Ireland to get it repaired, who sent it to Nikon UK who then sent it to me, and I then sent it back to the camera store who then sent it to Nikon US who then sent it back to me. It still cost about €100 in shipping costs. This is how I know Nikon lenses have worldwide warranty and bodies do not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

danbohan wrote: »
    try some the online stores like 42 st photo/ bh photo to get idea on prices before you go , beware of lots of sharp sales practice in some the camera stores . look for worldwide warranty

That's good advice, don't just assume it will be cheaper because it's the USA. Checkout BH Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/) compare to the prices you can get locally or from European online stores. Be very careful about buying from the plethora of Electronic stores on 3rd avenue (I think), have heard stories of them advertising a price for camera, then when you go in the price does not include things that should be in the box, like batteries, chargers etc.

I visited BH Photo in New York, for me it was worth visiting just for the experience, but I did also visit their used department and got a really good deal on a used lens - it was genuinely like new, original packaging, warranty document etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dave66 wrote: »
    That's good advice, don't just assume it will be cheaper because it's the USA. Checkout BH Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/) compare to the prices you can get locally or from European online stores. Be very careful about buying from the plethora of Electronic stores on 3rd avenue (I think), have heard stories of them advertising a price for camera, then when you go in the price does not include things that should be in the box, like batteries, chargers etc.

I visited BH Photo in New York, for me it was worth visiting just for the experience, but I did also visit their used department and got a really good deal on a used lens - it was genuinely like new, original packaging, warranty document etc.

had a similar experience with one of the shops .... price in window for a camera was super cheap... went inside shop and asked about it...camera is that price but its only sold with this lens...and the lens is 5times the normal price, if you didnt know the values you could get ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I would have been on here before slamming Irish shop in comparision to N.Y shops like bhphotoandvideo and Adorama. As stated above they do have some good deals but the price difference has closed considerably over the 12 - 18 months. There are some good deals but you need to know your prices. A friend of mine was there and found good deals especially on Camera lens where he felt he saved about €120 to €150 on 1 lens and over €250 on another

I still think its expensive here but as some say at least you have peace of mind

I got a loan of a camera to take with me, so at least ill have something when i arrive.Ill check out the main stores over there, that way i wont feel pressured into buying a camera there and then just for the sake of not having any snapps of the trip. If i dont see anything i reckon ill throw another €200 into the pot and buy here in Dublin, again peace of mind comes into play. Im sure it would be very easy to get caught up in the huge depatment stores over there and be inclined to forget that its all about the savings... has anyone any further thoughts to add, ??

...Ill let you know next month how i got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

PCPhoto wrote: »
    had a similar experience with one of the shops .... price in window for a camera was super cheap... went inside shop and asked about it...camera is that price but its only sold with this lens...and the lens is 5times the normal price, if you didnt know the values you could get ripped off.

I was ripped off in 2006 (didn't really know a lot about cameras then). Bought at haste.......repented at leisure!

Stick with B&H, Adorama, etc.

Here's some food for thought:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/camera_scams

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/photo_scammers.html

http://consumerist.com/2009/07/ny-attorney-general-fines-closes-down-infamously-scammy-camera-stores.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/534874-what-nyc-scams-tourists-tricks-have.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 sharonl

definately check out B&H, I was looking for a point and shoot to have in the auld handbag when I'm not lugging my dslr around and went into the photography heaven that is B&H in New york, think its 9th avenue last month. Picked up the canon G11 for 449 us dollars, its 599 euro here! They offered worldwide warrenty for an extra 40 us dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HelenOster

Freddie59 wrote: »
    ......Stick with B&H, Adorama, etc.

Thanks for the recommendation for shopping at Adorama - very much appreciated!

BTW for unbiased customer ratings and feedback about any store that isn't familiar to you, log into www.reselleratings.com, before you part with your cc details.

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

So Helan, any good deals for a poor Irish man heading to NewYork, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HelenOster

So Helan, any good deals for a poor Irish man heading to NewYork, :D

Sign up to the Adorama Facebook page for special deals; also, if you come across an Adorama Internet deal, do ask in store for a price match!

Hi all, ended up staying in NY till newyear, anyway, didnt find much of a difference in price, to the point i didnt buy. Picked up a Canon 1000D last week, bout €60 in the difference, but for €60, i have the peice of mind that at least i can return it if ders a fault.

taking some great shots so far and enjoying my new hobbie, will book on to the free canon course that comes with it, should help me learn a bit more, i wouldnt have got that in NY,

Cheers all.

Mojo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Thats not a huge difference, I thought it would be a hell of a lot cheaper in america. I see Bh Photo are selling Nikon's MB-D11 for 179ish but its 300 quid over here!

Advertisement