Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Buy, Cutlery Road, Newbridge

Options
  • 15-08-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Anybody know what they sell in here?? There are trolleys outside. Just curious. :o Thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I'm sure they don't charge for going in to have a look.

my guess is its yet another "discount" shop with crap product and over inflated prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

it's a bullsh*t shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 savy2011

That shop is terrible the other post is right their prices are so over inlfated its not funny but thats not the worst their idea of a clean shop is ridiculous its so dirty i wouldnt buy food out of there. i was in and after 5 mins of looking around i left it was disgusting. AVOID like the plague theres far better shops out there with far nicer staff. as the manager was so rude!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

savy2011 wrote: »
    That shop is terrible the other post is right their prices are so over inlfated its not funny but thats not the worst their idea of a clean shop is ridiculous its so dirty i wouldnt buy food out of there. i was in and after 5 mins of looking around i left it was disgusting. AVOID like the plague theres far better shops out there with far nicer staff. as the manager was so rude!
    i guess you own or run a shop in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

They do good deals on fuel there but as for buying stuff to eat, i wouldn't chance it

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    i guess you own or run a shop in the area?

no not at all, genuinely thats not it. I'm not even from Newbridge I just go shopping there some weekends to Lidl and Dunnes. I just hate rip off ireland especially when they arent even nice to their customers and they cant wash a floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Someone told me that one of the pharmacy stores owns it or the family of a pharmacy store.

Just like any of these discount stores, from Donals & Euro 2 through to TK Maxx, its luck of the draw. If you like the stuff that's on offer, then great but its more a place where you'll pick up a few items rather than do a mega shop. - Just like Euro 2, where the value can mainly be found in brand name toiletries & confectionery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

no not at all, genuinely thats not it. I'm not even from Newbridge I just go shopping there some weekends to Lidl and Dunnes. I just hate rip off ireland especially when they arent even nice to their customers and they cant wash a floor.

I wonder - a person registers and only has 2 submissions, and both running down the named shop - ulterior motive if there were ever one here IMO. Also if You go to Dunnes and Lidl's how come You end up in a discount store on Cutlery Road?

I live in Newbridge, I don't know the shop referred to here,. so cannot pass comment, but I just feel its wrong that someone has a rant in their first submissions on another business.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I wonder - a person registers and only has 2 submissions, and both running down the named shop - ulterior motive if there were ever one here IMO. Also if You go to Dunnes and Lidl's how come You end up in a discount store on Cutlery Road?

I live in Newbridge, I don't know the shop referred to here,. so cannot pass comment, but I just feel its wrong that someone has a rant in their first submissions on another business.

entrances to both on the cutlery road - lidl and dunnes - and ive said i called in to see what they had to offer. i never said i did all at once. yes im a new member and im only replying to what people are saying on this one post explaining or seems more like defending my one comment. im still looking at threads. not much point in boards if you cant give your opinion or reply to what someone is saying. Ans that what i feel to be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 janiceren2011

went in there today and i must say it was pretty good. plenty of bargins and alot cheaper than lidl and aldi. good price on fuel too. as for the staff they are very friendly i dont know of anyother shop where i get greeted at the door with a hello and a smile. definitly worth a look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

went in there today and i must say it was pretty good. plenty of bargins and alot cheaper than lidl and aldi. good price on fuel too. as for the staff they are very friendly i dont know of anyother shop where i get greeted at the door with a hello and a smile. definitly worth a look!
    lol another great first post

entrances to both on the cutlery road - lidl and dunnes - and ive said i called in to see what they had to offer. i never said i did all at once. yes im a new member and im only replying to what people are saying on this one post explaining or seems more like defending my one comment. im still looking at threads. not much point in boards if you cant give your opinion or reply to what someone is saying. Ans that what i feel to be wrong

Really not looking for an argument here, so just a question: Where are the entrances in Cutlery Road You mention above?

Or, are there two Cutlery Roads in Newbridge?

On another point, I agree with You, no point in having a discussion board if one cannot voice their opinion. It just looks suspicious ( to me anyhow ) when someone sends in their first opinion running down a shop - whether it be good or not. Also, this shop, are You sure its on Cutlery Road? The only shop I know of that is similar to the one You refer to is more or less opposite the Silverware showrooms.

Really not looking for an argument here, so just a question: Where are the entrances in Cutlery Road You mention above?

Or, are there two Cutlery Roads in Newbridge?

On another point, I agree with You, no point in having a discussion board if one cannot voice their opinion. It just looks suspicious ( to me anyhow ) when someone sends in their first opinion running down a shop - whether it be good or not. Also, this shop, are You sure its on Cutlery Road? The only shop I know of that is similar to the one You refer to is more or less opposite the Silverware showrooms.

I'm not looking for argument either think we all have enough on our plates without going online with them

I'm not from Newbridge so it is opposite silver ware Lidl on down past whitewater car park and dunnes entrance drive past Atlantic

I'm new to this as I said so maybe first post shouldnt of been a complaint but I'd didn't like the shop it's hygiene tried to talk to staff and got snubbed sorry if it came across as anything else

Others have other opionions that's fine I was just sharing mine

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Its beside timbercraft where tilesavers/busters use to be

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    Its beside timbercraft where tilesavers/busters use to be

Thanks Lucyfur, thats where I thought it was. To the OP, thats not Cutlery Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

Thanks Lucyfur, thats where I thought it was. To the OP, thats not Cutlery Road.

Address for Timbercraft
    Newbridge

Lower Cutlery Rd., Newbridge, Co.Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

As far as I know, Tilesavers is still there. Better Buy is just beside it. As for shopping there, I've started buying my laundry detergent there as they sell the BIG boxes of Bold and Fairy. I was wary at first as I HAVE to buy Fairy for my little ones who have exzema and there is a logo on the box that states PG Professional--wasn't sure what it was and thought they might be a copy/fake--these days who knows what people will copy and try to sell on. Anyhow I did a search online when I got home and found it was Proctor & Gamble Professional - the crowd that makes Bold and Fairy and they sell the large boxes (for 90+ washes) to industrial type places I'm assuming. Anyhow, I have gotten them once or twice as they last for ages. Think they are €19.99 or so a box, so it's great value. And, after I opened the boxes, it was definitely Bold and Fairy in them:) They also have other good deals on drinks and cleaning products. As other posters mentioned I'm not keen on buying food products there either as it really looks like just a warehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 janiceren2011

PG or proctor and gamble make 90% of all washing powders. Iv gotten food in there plenty of times and its always been the same as anything ive got anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I just clicked on the link in the "reply to thread" email and got this message

This website has been blocked.

This page has been blocked for a breach of the Acceptable Usage Policy.

The following content detection rules have matched:

RULE_FORUM_VBULLETIN

Discussion forum.

RULE_INAPPROPRIATE_CONTENT

Frequent references to alcohol or drug consumption or to adult themes.

RULE_DATE

Suspicious date in timestamp.

Back to the debate - the shop is staffed by pr*cks and is a load of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I think there are a few April 1st messers amongst the mods on boards.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

Had to say something here. I agree with savy, the shop is not exactly the cleanest nor are the staff the friendliest. Alot people have jumped on board to defend this shop but i think they maybe the owners/employess. The shop is not the best kildare has to offer and is a long way short of a friendly and clean establishment. I decided some time ago not be returning to the shop in question. Primarly because the staff/posters are rude!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ANNE MU

I am from newbridge and didn't know this shop existed, but will def pop in tomorrow, can't wait to see it if it is so bad. However i do suspect that some of the comments are a bit OTT. Can a shop be so dirty in 2011 and still be allowed to stay in business and why are all the defenders accused of being owners/staff? Is no one else allowed an opinion. A little suspect to me... but will check it out for myself and will report back. Oh BTW, this is my first submission and have no connection to the shop. Shopper2011 you were only in there once along time ago, maybe the shop has changed, staff included.. I Still don't work there.

Can't wait to see the rude posters too.... Hope I'm not shocked

I am from newbridge and didn't know this shop existed, but will def pop in tomorrow, can't wait to see it if it is so bad. However i do suspect that some of the comments are a bit OTT. Can a shop be so dirty in 2011 and still be allowed to stay in business and why are all the defenders accused of being owners/staff? Is no one else allowed an opinion. A little suspect to me... but will check it out for myself and will report back. Oh BTW, this is my first submission and have no connection to the shop. Shopper2011 you were only in there once along time ago, maybe the shop has changed, staff included.. I Still don't work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alfa 2

Having passed Buy Better during the week, I decided to google it and was directed to this site. Having read the comments with interest and sometimes anger I felt compelled to register and voice my opinion on some of the rancorous comments made. I must point out at this stage that I have never been inside the door of this shop so cannot confirm or deny if the comments are true. But if I knew of a shop that was so dirty that the general public should be warned I think the first thing I would do is contact the relevant authorities and have them investigate. Also I don't think that the staff of this shop have a monopoly on rudeness. But obviously the posters on this site haven't come across it before or for whatever reason didn't feel obliged to have a rant about it.

But the thing that struck me the most was the obvious allies and alter egos at play here for what seems to be the sole purpose of destroying a business. If this is not the case then I apologise, but if it's true I am horrified to think that such malignant people exist. Or am I just naive!!

After hearing so much about Buy Better, Newbridge on this board, I eventually got around to visiting on Sat. As I walked in I was greeted by 2 friendly girls. First impression of shop a bit rough an ready.. but then I got the concept - warehouse style. With that in mind i set about shopping... some amazing bargains. The meat is very reasonable and all locally sourced, so i was told. It is all in sealed packaging and refrigerated. I remembered an earlier comment on this board where they said they wouldn't buy food here because it is like a warehouse. But seriously.. where do you think food is stored before it reaches the glossy shelves in other shops.

I got most of my shopping here including a BBQ, which wasn't on my list. I was very pleased with my visit, my only worry was when were these scary staff going to pounce on me...It didn't happen. The scary ones must have been locked away for my visit... I was helped to my car by one of the girls..can't remember that happening before.. anywhere. I asked if they sold Mothers Day Cards. They don't but the girl said if i wanted to go around to the Whitewater, i could leave my car there and if the clampers called she would make sure they knew I was one of their customers. Parking is free for customer..

It was a very pleasant shopping experience. I didn't notice any dirt... a bit of wear and tear but maybe that's why they can keep their prices low. We're not paying for their comforts.

So if a few pallets offend you.. keep away... but if you want to save on your shopping you can't go wrong here... I for one will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MF2HD

wow what are the odds that so many like minded people just happened to think of a shop theyve never heard of before, google them and then post on boards about them.. It's a small world thats for sure :D

I agree. I always read the Boards when i have spare time.. I'm a bit nosy, thats where I heard of the shop in question. There are no other thread i am interested in commenting on at the mo... still looking tho....Newbridge is a small place.....

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

Welcome to the Forum Mr and Mrs Better Buy :)

• Advertisement

Curlz24 wrote: »
    Welcome to the Forum Mr and Mrs Better Buy :)

I wish...

Advertisement