Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tim Sylvia on the comeback trail?

• 15-08-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2010/0815/530888/tim-sylvia/index.shtml

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Sylvia-Knocks-Out-Buentello-Pulver-Loses-Again-26331

KO'd Paul Buentello in the second round. Timmay had this to say;
    “This one was important to me because I wanted to show that I am still a fighter who can be dangerous in the heavyweight division,” said. I have another fight with Moosin and I want to fight Pedro (Rizzo) and then hopefully Mr. (Dana) White will be giving me a call.”

I don't think DW will be in any hurry but who knows. Tim in his early UFC career was a decent fighter to watch, (remember his head kick KO over Tre Telligman?). Also he weighed in for his fight the other night at 273lbs which as far as I know is a hell of a lot lower than the last time he fought. Maybe he is getting serious about things.

Sad to see Pulver beat again too, he should have taken Zuffa up on the commentary job offer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Sylvia in shape and the right frame of mind would be a force in the heavyweights in my opinion, the thing is will he ever get back into fight shape to prove it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Timmy will never fight in the UFC again, his chin isn't up to it.

Wouldn't last 2 minutes against Brock, Cain, Carwin or Dos Santos, hell, even Roy Nelson would take him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

cowzerp wrote: »
    Sylvia in shape and the right frame of mind would be a force in the heavyweights in my opinion, the thing is will he ever get back into fight shape to prove it.

Well he was over 300 lbs when he fought Mercer I think, so he has lost 30 lbs so far if he was 273 the other night. I don't think he'd ever be a champ again but he would have some interesting fights. Sylvia vs Struve, just for a laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Well he was over 300 lbs when he fought Mercer I think, so he has lost 30 lbs so far if he was 273 the other night. I don't think he'd ever be a champ again but he would have some interesting fights. Sylvia vs Struve, just for a laugh!

With Mario reffing, even funnier ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

DrPhilG wrote:
    I don't think DW will be in any hurry but who knows. Tim in his early UFC career was a decent fighter to watch, (remember his head kick KO over Tre Telligman?). Also he weighed in for his fight the other night at 273lbs which as far as I know is a hell of a lot lower than the last time he fought. Maybe he is getting serious about things.

Considering Dana didn't have too many flattering words to say about Tim the last time I think its safe to say Tim in the UFC isn't going to happen.

I think he would make a good addition to the Strikeforce HVY roster if he does make it back down to 265 or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Considering Dana didn't have too many flattering words to say about Tim the last time I think its safe to say Tim in the UFC isn't going to happen.

I think he would make a good addition to the Strikeforce HVY roster if he does make it back down to 265 or less.

But there's always a chance to come back.

If Gabe Ruediger can get a second chance, Big Tim can!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    But there's always a chance to come back.

If Gabe Ruediger can get a second chance, Big Tim can!

True, but don't get your hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

The funny thing with Tim is that he seems to have been around for ever but he's still only 34.
    If he gets himself in really good shape, beats Rizzo in his next fight & maybe wins another fight after that then who knows? The UFC may come knocking again.

The funny thing with Tim is that he seems to have been around for ever but he's still only 34.
    If he gets himself in really good shape, beats Rizzo in his next fight & maybe wins another fight after that then who knows? The UFC may come knocking again.

Yeah, its crazy to think he's less than a year older than Brock!

Yeah, its crazy to think he's less than a year older than Brock!

Didn't Brock ask for a fight with Sylvia when he first arrived? I seem to remember him accusing Tim of being a swamp thing with webbed feet...

Timmay was always PPV poison so it would take something special for him to get back to the UFC but who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

What did he say about Tim?

Niall0 wrote: »

Said that Tim had been stinking the UFC out for years and was glad that Fedor beat him.

Dana White is the master of PR though, if Timmay got a few more wins over decent opposition and in doing so, made an effort to finish fights instead of just jabbing them to death, Dana would have him back IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Dana would have him back IMO.

Agreed, if he gets a run going they will big him up as an ex UFC champ and try make a big deal of it..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Niall0 wrote: »

It was around the time of Tim's fight with Pudz. Tim said he would like to finish his career in the UFC and Dana quickly shot that down saying nobody wanted to see him again just trashing Tim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 rooneyboy

It was around the time of Tim's fight with Pudz. Tim said he would like to finish his career in the UFC and Dana quickly shot that down saying nobody wanted to see him again just trashing Tim.

If i remember right, dana also said if tim wanted to get back in the ufc, that he would have to win the ultimate fighter to get there

rooneyboy wrote: »
    If i remember right, dana also said if tim wanted to get back in the ufc, that he would have to win the ultimate fighter to get there

That maybe possible but I think he only said that about Kimbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

He would get hammered by Lesnar in fairness, there isnt much point in him coming back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Gerard.C wrote: »
    He would get hammered by Lesnar in fairness, there isnt much point in him coming back
    $$$$$$$$$$$ great reason!

$$$$$$$$$$$ great reason!

Tim could use all those $$$$$$$$ to pay for his facial reconstruction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I like the way you atuomatically think he'd face brock. He'd probably be the gatekeeper

• Advertisement

I like the way you atuomatically think he'd face brock. He'd probably be the gatekeeper

Brock is the champ, I assume he would want a title shot at some stage. I couldnt see him getting past 3/4 of the HW Division though. Imagine the damage the likes of Cain, JDS or Carwin would do to him

Although BiG Tim is very VERY boring to watch and he's pretty much universally hated........... i don't think you guys are giving him enough credit here.

He's still a really good fighter IMO!

First one to mention Ray Mercer gets a Chinese Burn

Although BiG Tim is very VERY boring to watch and he's pretty much universally hated........... i don't think you guys are giving him enough credit here.

Ray Mercer.
    Sylvia V Toney.

What are you basing that on?

What are you basing that on?

His skills?

His skills?

His skills are questionable at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

If Sylvia can win his next two fights convincingly maybe Strikeforce could be an alternative and possible rematch with Arlovski providing Andrei can regain form also. Would make good hype but would like to see him get serious again and make one more stint in the UFC.

His skills are questionable at best

The guy is boring, but he's got skills none the less!

The guy is boring, but he's got skills none the less!

When was the last time he used them against a real opponent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

When was the last time he used them against a real opponent?

Eh, against Buentello?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

He's got incredible reach (86 inches, if memory serves) and a good jab as a result. His takedown defence is quite good too, largely due to his height and unusual body shape. He's taken good shots in the (distant!) past too, without buckling. If he were seriously motivated i.e. both to drop weight and to go after opponents, then I'd like to see him back in the UFC. However, any performances like the third fight with Arlovski, or the Monson and Vera snooze-fests, and I'd want him cut.

Jayo_M wrote: »
    Eh, against Buentello?

Ya but in the grand scheme of things, who is Buentello?

Ya but in the grand scheme of things, who is Buentello?

A guy who fought for both UFC and Strikeforce HW titles with 41 fights over a 13 year career. Obviously he's not in the upper echelon of fighters, and perhaps never was, but he's still a tough fight for a lot of fighters. And it's not as if Sylvia didn't beat him decisively. I just wouldn't right Sylvia off just yet.

Jayo_M wrote: »
    A guy who fought for both UFC and Strikeforce HW titles with 41 fights over a 13 year career. Obviously he's not in the upper echelon of fighters, and perhaps never was, but he's still a tough fight for a lot of fighters. And it's not as if Sylvia didn't beat him decisively. I just wouldn't right Sylvia off just yet.

Ya but he hasnt been relevent in years. And hasnt beaten anyone worth while in a long time.

Its not as if Ray Mercer didnt beat Timmy decisively either though. He hasnt a hope against most people nowadays

But he was on the UFC's payroll up until recently. I take your point though, I can't think of the last relevant guy he beat in recent years. But I think Mercer's win was an anomaly. Anyone can be caught on the button, it was just unfortunate for Tim that he got caught against a pro-boxer. Basically what I'm getting at is Tim is still at a level of some UFC guys. Buentello took Struve to a decision not too long ago - who do you think would win between Struve and Sylvia? I think Sylvia would take it. I just don't think he's below the caliber of fighter of Struve, Duffee et al at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement