Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly moving to Balbriggan - few questions.

Options
  • 15-08-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hello,

So I've decided I need a change from Cork City and want to move to Dublin.

I've done some searching on this forum and found few posts about living in Balbriggan and they seem ok enough.

I've found houses or apartments to let on daft.ie and they are incredibly cheap and they look fantastic! Is there anything I should know about Balbriggan?

I'm not a fussy person by any means so I think I'd be okay.

Another question, what's the traffic like on the motor ways in the morning? - if I left quite early say 7.30/8, would I miss a lot of traffic? I was thinking maybe instead I'd just get the train in every morning to city, might be more practical. I'm sure I can get some monthly discount tickets.

Another place I'd like is Malahide, but accommodation there is quite a bit more unfortunately.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Where are you commuting to? And what is your work start time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I've no idea yet as I don't have a job confirmed. I've few interviews etc. I'm hoping it will be on the north of the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Balbriggan is beautiful, but like anywhere it depends exactly where you live! As for traffic its like hell from half 7-9.30 heading into town on the m1 thats why i drive a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you have the time & the inclination you could take a look at this thread. :)

Skerries is a nice spot too. ;)

Balbriggan is beautiful, but like anywhere it depends exactly where you live! As for traffic its like hell from half 7-9.30 heading into town on the m1 thats why i drive a bike!

Oh that doesn't sound good! I'll be letting to car at home so I'd say and hopping on the train! Could take hours to get to work so if I went by car from there. Maybe if I got flexi time I could come in at 10 and stay later to avoid. I'll have to investigate!
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    If you have the time & the inclination you could take a look at this thread. :)

Skerries is a nice spot too. ;)

Yep I had a few reads of that thread, the last post was nice =)

I'll check out Skerries too cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

If your going into Dublin City Center you will want to start before 7.30 its fairly bad on the M1 after then. I start in the airport at 8 and need to leave at 7.15 for what is a 20 min drive max with no traffic.
    A more sensible route is the train, I dont use it much but its around 45 mins to Connolly station and there seems to be a good service.

As for Balbriggan its a really good spot if you make a bit of effort. Unfortunately most people living around the Dunnes stores area seem to be stuck in the work-commute work cyle without ever seeing much of the town or people.

It took me a while to get out around here but since I have I've met loads of really sound lads. Theres plenty goes on round the pubs darts,snooker live bands. Theres a GAA ,soccer, rugby clubs so plenty to do.

If your going into Dublin City Center you will want to start before 7.30 its fairly bad on the M1 after then. I start in the airport at 8 and need to leave at 7.15 for what is a 20 min drive max with no traffic.
    A more sensible route is the train, I dont use it much but its around 45 mins to Connolly station and there seems to be a good service.

As for Balbriggan its a really good spot if you make a bit of effort. Unfortunately most people living around the Dunnes stores area seem to be stuck in the work-commute work cyle without ever seeing much of the town or people.

It took me a while to get out around here but since I have I've met loads of really sound lads. Theres plenty goes on round the pubs darts,snooker live bands. Theres a GAA ,soccer, rugby clubs so plenty to do.
    Thanks! that sounds reassuring.

I think I might make use of the train, be a lot more convenient esp if I going into city centre. However , if it's outside in industrial estates, a car might be better suited. I'll have to see exactly where I'll be working first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Ahh you better leave before 7am if your working in the city and driving. Anytime after that there is just too much potential for traffic problems. I use to commute from Rush to Dun Laoghaire in a car under 55mins if I left before 7otherwise after that it was 1hr 30mins.

If your getting the train you might want to consider the distance from your accomodation, parking can be hell at the stations at times so if you can walk cycle all the better. Flexi hours are great but not many private sector companies allow, more in the public service. Skerries is a good spot, the train station is central to alot of housing and trains arn't too over crowded leaving Skerries. Good choice of things to do outside of work in Skerries with a decent amount of watering holes and sports clubs. A poor man's Malahide but plenty of the charactor. Balbriggan isnt bad but suffers from growing pains as does Rush and Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Train means you need to rent on/beside the main street if your set on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

As others have said, the train station is a bit of a walk from the newer areas of the town and I wouldn't recommend you rely on getting parking at the station.

Personally I would recommend the more "settled" areas of Balbriggan. Places like Fancourt Heights, Hampton Cove, Clonard, Tara Court...anything nearer to the centre of the town. The newer areas can appear very removed from the rest of the town and I have experience of a number of people who bought up there and have been unhappy with the lack of interaction with their neighbours. Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not suggesting that the people who live there are unfriendly nor am I slagging the area. I come from an older part of the town which is why I recommend it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement