Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Newcastle United Match Thread

• 15-08-2010 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭

manchester-united-crest_mnd3.jpg v 0,,10312%7E6072238,00.jpg

Old Trafford
    KO - 8pm
    Sky Sports1

Finally the Premiership is about to properly begin.:P

I'd like to see:
    VDS
    Rafael--Vidic--Evans--O'Shea
    Valencia--Fletch--Scholes--Nani
    Rooney---Berbatov

With Chico making an appearance at some stage.

Is Bébé with the squad yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Who the fcuk are Man United?

HOWAY THE LADS.

Harper

Ryan Taylor---Coloccini---Perch---Enrique

Routledge---Barton---Guthrie---Jonas

Nolan

Carroll

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Newcastle to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think Fergies gonna start with Berba and Chico up front tomorrow night. Don't think he thinks Rooneys fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think the line up will be what baz has posted .start with Rooney and berbs and make changes when we are 2-0 up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

United 2-0 @ 4/1 will be my bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I would like Chico starting ahead of Berbatov.

Reckon this could be a difficult game in fairness.

Not expecting a demolition like Chelsea did yesterday.

Think Newcastle will do well this season - no relegation battle at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

C'mon Manchester United! :D

Heading over to the match so really looking forward to it. I really wanna see Hernandez play but I reckon we will start with Rooney and Berbatov and work from there.

We really should win coming off the back of that Community Shield victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I went with Berba because I think it might take a bit of magic(which he is very capable of, despite what some might think) from him to break the Newcastle defence. Then Chico on for some speed when Newcastle go to try and find a goal, thus leaving their defence a bit open and susceptible to Chico's pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I think Man. United will win but it might be tricky as the Newcastle players will be looking to impress the manager in the first game of the new season and they'll certainly be up for it. Saying that though I don't see too many quality players in the Magpie's squad and they may struggle this year. I'm going for a 3-1 to Man. United.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll be watching this in the local with Limerick's resident Newcastle Boardsie, Limerick_Dude. It'll be a fun few hours anyway! :D

United to win 3-1 or 4-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Kinda nervous about this match, heading over myself and I think it will be a tough match, much like the first game of the season 2 years ago when jonas tore us apart, I think it will be tough at first but hopefully if we can score two before half time the goals will hopefully keep flowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Reckon baz has the team spot on, with a sub appearance from Chico depending on how things are going. Rooney will start anyway and I think SAF probably wants to give him a full 90 minutes at this stage. Could be a cagey one if we don't get a goal in the first twenty minutes or so. 2-0 at the most, maybe even one of our famous 1 - nil-ers :rolleyes:

Can't wait for the first match of the new season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Man U to win 4-1 is 17/1 gonna drop some money on that. JS Park Anytime Goal 7/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

1-1

In terms of going forward based on our pre season we really don't have much going for us.

Away from home I can see us playing Carroll up front with Nolan playing in behind him.

Lovenkrands can add a bit of pace for us and can run in behind the defence while Carroll knocks the ball down to him.

I can't see Hughton sticking him up top with Carroll though. I fully expect him to pack the midfield and attempt to close down and frustrate Manchester United's midfield play.

At the back we're still a bit dodgy. The Championship is a bit of a lie as we weren't playing teams with good attacking lines on a weekly basis.

Ryan Taylor I feel will struggle at RB tomorrow and isn't the quickest player. At set pieces he's top notch but his defending is extremely dodgy.

Colo had a brilliant season for us last time out. Found his feet very well and has cut a lot of bad habits out of his game which is nice to see.

I'd expect Perch to partner him in the centre of defence. I've still got a bit of a question mark over Perch. Didn't play particularly well for Forest last year, had a good pre season but is a liability and could cost us with a clumsy challenge or two.

Enrique is a class act. Pacy, great defensive play and can really hurt teams down the left wing with his attacking side of his all round play.

I'm not expecting a win from us tomorrow but we can't show them any respect. We really need to press and press hard from the first whistle. It'll be a tough game but if we can get any sort of result from this it'll give us a massive boost for the season.

Team spirit seems to be at an all time high in the dressing room and if we can stick together we can get a result tomorrow evening.

If we concede and let the heads drop then we're doomed.

So all that's left to say is...

COME ON YOU TOON!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

5-0/6-0 United.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Well since we seem to do better in seasons when we get off to terrible starts, I'm hoping for a 0-0, or a lucky 1-0 with an OG in injury time.

Or, 7-0 would do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Nervy 1-0 to Man Utd.

"They [Newcastle] have those fans who are so emotional and fanatical, they expect to win the World Cup." - Fergie

True, very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Probably won't be an easy start to the season for United. Still think they'll win it though. 2-0 is my prediction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

3-0 United. No disrespect to Newcastle, but I think United will hit this game full tilt. Particularly with Chelsea raising the bar yesterday. It'll be a tough night for Newcastle, either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

4-1 United, chico will come on in second half and tear the toon defence apart, probably will start with rooney and berbatov up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

my team:

van der Saar
    Rafael--Evans--Vidic--O'Shea

Valencia--Fletcher--Carrick--Nani

Rooney---Berbatov

Chicharito, Giggs, Park, Scholes, Smalling, Brown, Kuszczak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Kinda fear for us a bit tommorow night, hope we don't get a battering and get off to a bad start to the season. I don't expect us to win, I'd be surprised if we could even nick a draw tbh but if we could put in a decent shift, make United work hard for a win and set down a marker for the season I couldn't complain as we'll have more important games over the course of the season against teams of a lower calibre.
    Sadly, I'm going to say a 2/3-0 victory to Man U. Still tho, stranger things have happened so we might get something, fingers crossed.

Come on Toon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Come on Manchester United.

7-0 will do nicely :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

My team:

VDS

O'Shea
    Vidic
    Evans
    Rafa

Nani
    Scholes
    Fletch
    Valencia

Rooney
    Berbs

----
    Also, stupid Monday night football! Who the **** plays football on a monday? I'll tell ya shall I? I do. And now I'm gonna miss our season opener :mad:

Manchester United better win tonight, I can't remember the last time I saw 7.30 am.

Come on United!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

heading off to this later, flying into liverpool.

i think we should win tonight, and i expect hernandez to score.

gosh, its great that the real stuff is finally back, we had to wait 2 days more than the others, but its a great feeling to be heading back to old trafford after 3 month holiday....

i assume this will still be the old trafford anthem about 7.58 pm as normal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I get the feeling that Newcastle will either get something out of the game, or be destroyed 3-0.

The Coloccini/Perch partnership is unproven and doesn't exactly inspire confidence. If Carroll plays as the frontman, he's going to have a tough job getting joy off the United backline. Anyway, let's hope Newcastle do win, if only to see Joey Barton keep good on his promise to shave his moustache

Joey-Barton-WAGs-Stags-PA_2487304.jpg

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    "They [Newcastle] have those fans who are so emotional and fanatical, they expect to win the World Cup." - Fergie

True, very true.

Ah Fergie. What a man for talking out his hole.

Yes we have briliiant fans but we don't expect to win anything straight away. What I and maybe a lot of people will agree with me, is a well run club.

We don't have a well run club. The players and our manager are a credit to the club amidst all the shoite with Ashley choking the club to near suffocation.

Weather is lovely over here, hope it stays like that so this time I can show my true colours rather than being wrapped up.

mars bar wrote: »
    Weather is lovely over here, hope it stays like that so this time I can show my true colours rather than being wrapped up.

The black and white jersey will keep you warm. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That_Guy wrote: »

Yes we have briliiant fans but we don't expect to win anything straight away. What I and maybe a lot of people will agree with me, is a well run club.

We don't have a well run club. The players and our manager are a credit to the club amidst all the shoite with Ashley choking the club to near suffocation.

I don't think he meant it in a derogatory way tbh.

The black and white jersey will keep you warm. ;)

Haha!
    I find Red a more pleasing colour on the eye myself to be honest...

flahavaj wrote: »
    I don't think he meant it in a derogatory way tbh.

Aye probably not.

And mars_bar.... 'mon over to the Toon. Our topless fans can keep you warm while they smother you in flab.. *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

he does his talking where it matters also, in the dressing room and along the sideline.

he does his talking where it matters also, in the dressing room and along the sideline.

Not denying that he's a brilliant manager. You'd be foolish to say otherwise but some of the comments he comes out with are ridiculous sometimes.

There's a compliment in there I'm sure about what he said about Newcastle fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Does anyone know is Barton likely to start? Not that I like the guy but he always makes a game far more entertaining.

MR NINE wrote: »
    Does anyone know is Barton likely to start? Not that I like the guy but he always makes a game far more entertaining.

Don't see any reason why he shouldn't be starting to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

routine 3-0 Man Utd victory here IMO.

Rooney to dispel the doubters unfortunately and put in a MOTM performance, with all 3.

all assisted by Berba.

:p

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    routine 3-0 Man Utd victory here IMO.

Rooney to dispel the doubters unfortunately and put in a MOTM performance, with all 3.

all assisted by Berba.

:p

If Rooney scored three and two were assisted by Berba and one by Carrick, I think I'd do this.

baz2009 wrote: »
    If Rooney scored three and two were assisted by Berba and one by Carrick, I think I'd do this.
    Lovely, thank you.

Nailz wrote: »
    Lovely, thank you.

Welcome.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

baz2009 wrote: »

Regret clicking on that link :p

I think if Man Utd get an early enough goal then it could end up being 4 or 5 nil unfortunately! If Newcastle play for the draw and put ten men behind the ball then I can see it ending 0-0 or a 1-0 ManU win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm looking for a 5-0 win to United, with Nani scoring a hattrick, with a hattrick of assists from O'Shea, and O'Shea and Evans both scoring from Nani corners.

Nonetheless, can't bloody wait for this!

Fcuk it. It calls for it.

I WOULD LOVE IT... LOVE IT IF WE BEAT THEM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Fcuk it. It calls for it.

I WOULD LOVE IT... LOVE IT IF WE BEAT THEM.

Couldn't agree more! Nobody likes Newcastle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

United 4-0 Barcodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

2-1 to Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

2-0 or 3-1 to United. However I have a feeling it'll be a lot closer than people on this thread think it will.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement