Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Newcastle United Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

That_Guy wrote: »
    We looked abysmal out there today.

First 20 minutes we were set up well but our discipline mixed with some shocking defending cost us the first goal.

Heads dropped and we conceded another.

Can't really take a whole lot of positives from today's game. We need to change our tactics. If we were planning to have a counter attacking tactic in place against Manchester United then we were doomed from the outset.

We need to strenghten at the back and quickly.

Congratulations on the win Man United fans. Thoroughly deserved. We need to regroup and assess ourselves. It doesn't get any easier for ourselves with Villa at home next weekend.

absolutely, thats the worst of it, we were cr*p, but only after the goal went in. We gave up too easily and the basics went out the window. Not good enough. Follow on from pre season, lots of pretty passing until we go behind. Jonas was shocking tonight, perch was dodgy, Williamson looked out of his depth, Nolan was asleep, Was smith playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Fergie's looking well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DB10 wrote: »

Someone mentioned movement...his movement was very poor when Newcastle tried to counter attack.

How do you think he got the chance for the header

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

baz2009 wrote: »
    Villa isn't a terrible game to have with O'Neill gone and Milner could be gone by Saturday.

Judging on how well they did at the weekend it's not gonna be the easiest. I'm hoping we'll have strengthened by the time we play them but that looks a bit doubtful unless the Ben Arfa speculation is true.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Missing half our defence for most of the year (OShea, RIO), our Goalkeeper for 3 months and our other CB missing 14 games . . Not bad for an inferior makeshift defence . .

Outstanding.... never said they were inferior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Not according to the amount of goals each team conceeded last season.
    Also, United played two central midfielders in central defence for a few games last season and Chelsea lost Carvalho this season and are weak at right back, whereas United didn't lose anyone and are fairly strong at right back.

It's just chelsea bias, don't take any notice of it :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Haha, the Newcastle fans on here are living up to their deluded tag.

Carrol will keep you up lads I'm sure of it. Real quality there....:rolleyes:

Judging on how well they did at the weekend it's not gonna be the easiest. I'm hoping we'll have strengthened by the time we play them but that looks a bit doubtful unless the Ben Arfa speculation is true.

hammers were woeful tho.

Who said he was quality?

Keep up with the thread please.

Ben Arfa would be a great signing or Newcastle, some good delivery for Carroll is needed and Ben Arfa could supply that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Lads, calm the **** down!

NC played well considering they just got promoted. They'll need to spend some more dosh on a quality striker and strengthen their defense, that said they made United sweat for it...
    We had loads of chances and blew it... Game over, onto the next one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ben Arfa is poison to a squad.

ntlbell wrote: »

He balloned a free header from 5 yards. Nearly pissed myself, how crap can you be.

Movement when Newcastle had the ball was laughable. There was none.

But alas he is the new Shearer Newcastle's number 9....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

SlickRic wrote: »
    Scholes has been absolutely brilliant.

an exemplary performance in how to control a game of football.

He is a phenomenon, once in a generation footballer. Just when I can't rate him any higher, he goes and does it all again. Ozil my hole, he is irreplaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

M5 wrote: »
    Outstanding.... never said they were inferior

I wasnt directing that at you. .

I was backing up what you had said (to the guy who said Chelseas defence was better!) . . . ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Didn't they say in commentary that after the villa game Newcastle don't play any teams that finished in the top half last season until Chelsea in November, so I think it's a bit harsh to Judge Newcastle on tonight.

absolutely, thats the worst of it, we were cr*p, but only after the goal went in. We gave up too easily and the basics went out the window. Not good enough. Follow on from pre season, lots of pretty passing until we go behind. Jonas was shocking tonight, perch was dodgy, Williamson looked out of his depth, Nolan was asleep, Was smith playing?

Apparently Smith was playing. Very very quiet. This time last season he was running for every ball. Closing down left, right and centre. Non existant today.

Enrique and Colo looked very dodgy. In fact nobody played well for us. Carroll the best of a bad lot. Only one who contributed anything really.

So so hard to pick any positives from that display. Still, I won't get too down about it. One game in against a top top side. Plenty of time to sort ourselves out but we have to do it quickly.

You don't know what my opinion is on Andy Carroll at all and I haven't even made a comment on whether I'm judging him or not.

All I asked was what did he do with the chances he got.

FFS, paranoia kicking in already and it's only game 1.

Apologies, Im sure if you read your comment again you could see how it could be misinterpreted.....

He fluffed a header that he should have scored. He also got a couple of half chances that he did well to get. A decent performance considering the rest

He balloned a free header from 5 yards. Nearly pissed myself, how crap can you be.

Movement when Newcastle had the ball was laughable. There was none.

But alas he is the new Shearer Newcastle's number 9....:D

Embarrassing yourself here. I'd stop now if I were you.

• Advertisement

I wasnt directing that at you. .

I was backing up what you had said (to the guy who said Chelseas defence was better!) . . . ;)

:o im doing it again

sofireland wrote: »
    Didn't they say in commentary that after the villa game Newcastle don't play any teams that finished in the top half last season until Chelsea in November, so I think it's a bit harsh to Judge Newcastle on tonight.

Yep.
    As much as I dislike Newcastle(dunno why, tbh) a Premier League without them just doesn't seem complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Funny thing is, it's mostly United supporters countering your sweeping statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

United legends. It will be a sad day when they finish up. Looks like Scholes wants a bit of Giggs but he is having none of it.

ryangiggsscholes20100816_412x232.jpg

sofireland wrote: »

Dont think you can judge any team outside the top 4 by a performance in OT....

Yep.
    As much as I dislike Newcastle(dunno why, tbh) a Premier League without them just doesn't seem complete.

Liverpool took our place last season as the "let's all laugh at..."

Good to be back. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

ntlbell wrote: »

To be fair, he said Carroll's movement on the counter attack was poor.

Carroll's header came from a corner, not a counter attack.

Anybody else hoping that one of these monday night football, when Richard keyes is walking to that big screen, a big trapdoor opens and swallows him up, ending his stint at sky ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

scholes > xavi

Anybody else hoping that one of these monday night football, when Richard keyes is walking to that big screen, a big trapdoor opens and swallows him up, ending his stint at sky ! !

try listening to the fool as a Newcastle fan, actually if i was just listening to him i would have switched off before it started....

To be fair, he said Carroll's movement on the counter attack was poor.

Carroll's header came from a corner, not a counter attack.

They don't know the difference. They will know what both are by the season end, they will have conceded enough from them.:pac:

• Advertisement

"I think I'm ok... But I'm very badly burned"

Austin Powers reference.

They don't know the difference. They will know what both are by the season end, they will have conceded enough from them.:pac:

he was responding to a United fan AFIK......

apologies to NTLBELL if your not

And again. A fcuking fountain of wisdom you are.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ben Arfa is poison to a squad.
    Well they need some quality players to stop the embarrassment we have seen so far.

He can make friends with Barton and Smith.

Well they need some quality players to stop the embarrassment we have seen so far.

There aren't enough :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: in the world.

"I think I'm ok... But I'm very badly burned"

Austin Powers reference.

Maybe someone in the lobby could call an ambulance. Oh, the pain is really quite severe. I... I've fashioned a makeshift splint. Here goes nothing. Aaaa...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Yep.

I like Newcastle.

I predicted 3-0, but not the kind of domination we showed tonight. Haven't seen united this rampant in a long time. Very impressed. Wasteful in front of goal though (berb converted his most difficult chance). Rooney was poor. nani was poor. Had we seen a sharper display from these guys, we could have had six or seven.

Scholes was God tonight, tbh.

Barton played alright i thought, smith was invisible though. He would not have started if Guthrie had been fit though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Missing half our defence for most of the year (OShea, RIO), our Goalkeeper for 3 months and our other CB (vidic) missing 14 league games . . Not bad for an inferior makeshift defence versus a virtually fully fit chelsea defence for the season . .

Fully fit for most of the season? :rolleyes:

And again. A fcuking fountain of wisdom you are.
    Calm down, you need to relax a little. Hard after such a defeat we all know, but really no need for such mindless verbal attacks on different posters.

• Advertisement

Maybe someone in the lobby could call an ambulance. Oh, the pain is really quite severe. I... I've fashioned a makeshift splint. Here goes nothing. Aaaa...

You sir have made my day.

Seen so far? 1 game at United at OT. Newcastle aren't going for the league like.

I think Ben Arfa isn't what they need. He's too individualistic and doesn't have the stomach for things when they don't go even slightly his way.

Barton played alright i thought, smith was invisible though. He would not have started if Guthrie had been fit though
    Both were alright I thought, midfield seemed okay bar Nolan who I thought was an embarrassment (if he played at all).

You sir have made my day.

weirdness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

decent performance from united ,they should have won by a few more but a good work out to start the season.scholes was immense and berbs,evra and valencia did well.newcastle will struggle this season but I think they will avoid relegation.there squad is fairly threadbare so they could do with 2/3 players in the next few weeks.they have a few players that just aint good enough for this level the 2 wingers were woeful.

Calm down, you need to relax a little. Hard after such a defeat we all know, but really no need for such mindless verbal attacks on different posters.

Yeah we lost, you won. Congratulations. But some of your comments are laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

scholes > xavi

I agree. Xavi is a robot with the short to mid range passes -- absolutely impeccable. he's also more consistent. But scholes on his day has a vision, and that defence-splitting pass that is completely unparalleled, IMO.

Both were alright I thought, midfield seemed okay bar Nolan who I thought was an embarrassment (if he played at all).

agreed, Nolan was Sh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!te, if as alleged, he actually played

davyjose wrote: »
    I agree. Xavi is a robot with the short to mid range passes -- absolutely impeccable. he's also more consistent. But scholes on his day has a vision, and that defence-splitting pass that is completely unparalleled, IMO.

Glad you added that.:)

• Advertisement

weirdness

Need a bit of a laugh.

Cue a "watch the match again" post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement