Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended without pay but told to come to work and work for FREE?

Options
  • 15-08-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

2 friends of mine where suspended without pay for a week. wont go into details:rolleyes:

but because there are people out sick or on holidays they have been told to come into work, clock in and work without pay,

this was put into motion at there suspension meeting that they would have to do this as it is their punishment too:eek:

my query, is it illegal to do this? or they even insured to be on the priemises?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Of course it's illegal.
    What your friends should do is turn up, clock in (and record their hours) and then demand payment the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ah the whole thing sounds wrong without you going into too much detail.

if they are stuck best ask to be paid for the work and suspend the suspension for a different time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Spunk84 wrote: »
    this was put into motion at there suspension meeting that they would have to do this as it is their punishment too:eek:

my query, is it illegal to do this? or they even insured to be on the priemises?

Punishment,,, Jesus are they still at school.. suspended without pay is fine but working for nothing after this is crazy and I wouldn't recomend they do it.

Yes they would be insured as even though they aren't getting paid they would still be on the books and included on insurance.. This only happens if you are certified sick/unfit for work and asked/allowed to work anyway.

This is some HR twat or plank manager "thinking outside the box"

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

When you tell them about the insurance implications, they'll reconsider their position. To the best of my knowledge (I'm open to correction), if you're not being paid - you're not insured. Under EU and Irish law they'd be wide open to serious litigation. Tell them this and they'll quickly change their tune.
    Despite the recession, we still have some rights left. Contact your local TD (let them earn their inflated salaries) or Citizens Advise for more clarification. Don't bother trying to ring the relevant Government Department - they usually don't have a clue or (worse) the phone will just ring out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

i think your right, but these guys are on fixed term contracts and told that if they dont there gone in no so many words:eek:.

the company will just say, "well we have no work for you goodbye" which seems to be the norm in the copmapny were there at,

i think there just scared for there jobs, but they did come into work:mad:

ridculous how companies are using contract workers like slaves and then when they get close to their permancey they let them go "citing" they have no work for them,

then bring them back on brand new contracts and they have to do the whole rat race again, just wrong IMHO:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Spunk84 wrote: »
    2 friends of mine where suspended without pay for a week. wont go into details:rolleyes:

Was it a sackable offense?

If so, your friends should be grateful they have a chance to retain their jobs at all.

Gurgle wrote: »

If so, your friends should be grateful they have a chance to retain their jobs at all.

no wasnt a sackable offense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

nope - that's nonsense. For a start it's blackmail.

However not paying an employee is illegal under employment law - read the Payment of Wages Act, 1991.

The company also must follow disciplinary procedures. I'm pretty sure "we're not paying you.. and we'll fire you if you complain" is not part of the company's disciplinary procedures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    nope - that's nonsense. For a start it's blackmail.
    I wasn't condoning the idea.
    I was suggesting that an employee who could have been sacked on the spot should quietly take whatever is offered. Doesn't apply in this case anyway.

I wasn't condoning the idea.
    I was suggesting that an employee who could have been sacked on the spot should quietly take whatever is offered. Doesn't apply in this case anyway.

LOL Gurgle you sound like a manager i know :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement