Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocean City MD for J1 2011?

Options
  • 15-08-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    looking for a bit of info. Me and some friends are starting our planning early for next summer. and we chose Ocean City in Maryland.

Just wondering has anyone ever been here?
    And if you have how did you find it and what was the general cost of accommodation for the summer season?
    Pretty heart set on here but just looking for some more info cos not really finding much about cost of accommodation when searching online!

:)

Also sorry if this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to move if necessary!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skittles16

Hey there is 2/3 think were heading ocean city this summer, kindas looks like a good place to go. Were looking for people to live with as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Heard nothing but good things about Ocean city! Myself and a few friends are thinking of heading there this summer, nearly all of us under 21 though so might be a problem. We've heard Berkley in San Fran is a great spot as well, college campus full of house partys and a great laugh all round.

Decisions, decisions...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭epiphony

I'm in the same boat, two of us girls and one lad heading on a J1 and Ocean City is moving to the top of the list. It's gotten some great feedback.

Can anyone offer more info in terms of where to stay? How much rent is roughly? Is it easy to get jobs? Would really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lyndseyy

I have been born & raised in Ocean City MD so if anyone needs any help with anything about maybe spending a summer here, I`d be more than happy to help ya out! I got to know, meet, and party with quite a bit of the lads who came over from Ireland last year & will be headin over to Ireland for paddies this year to visit them all (:

Hope ya all choose OC for your j1! you wont regret it.

Helpful tip--try not to work or live anywhere above 40th st!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 too_dolly

I'm going to ocean city with my friends as well looks like a class spot tbh! I have done a good bit of research into it looks like there isn't much to do there thats the only thing like I'd say a lot of traveling into the surrounding areas would have to be done!!if we are all going when it gets closer to summer we should all contact each other and then we could meet up in the states it would be good to get a group of people :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ellie77

Hey!

Doing the J1 this year starting off in NYC working for a while and hoping to maybe end up in Ocean City!
    All the feedback has been really positive and everyone seems to have had a really good time there!

Has anyone had any luck with finding accom. or jobs yet?

Bring on Summer 2011!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ciankgn

Hey all,

I was in Ocean City for a J1 in 2009. I thought it was a brilliant place to go and everyone out og the 14 people in my group got jobs with no real problems.

Accommodation was a different issue. We stayed in a house on Dorchester St. (No. 14) for a while. It was an absolute hole and the Landlords had the cops throw us out with no comback whatsoever. In the end we lost all out deposits but my advice is to avoide at all costs.

Getting into some pubs and buying drink at some places is alright with a good fake ID, but if you want to go to any clubs or drink in nicer (read: More popular) pubs you'll need a Passport.

Its really easy to travel to most of the eastern seaboard from OC. I traveled to New York, Washington and Niagra falls with a student center when I was there.

I'm pretty sure i'm going back there this summer with 3 other guys. We're all over 21 and If anyone wants to share accommodation it'd be cool......

All in all, a great place to live for a summer. Oh and as lynsey said, live on the lower end of the island if you can....

Cian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ria22

Hey me n my frds ar goin der dis summer has any1 got any info dey could pass on to us:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 surfer86

hey, myself and my friends went there in 2008 for the summer and it was a brillant one. jobs were simple to get. the place is full of eastern european and russian students on their version of the j1 but this is a good thing because employers want people who speak english as there first language, so you'll have a choice of jobs. when i was there i was talking to a local irish guy called bill fergison and if u were there in the last 15 years on a j1 then u probably meet him at some point. he said hundreds even thousands of irish used to go there about 10years ago but then all the j1's started going to the west coast so numbers decreased. when i was there, there was about 50-100 irish. accomodation is simple to get. just make sure not to get ripped off. look for some where under $100 dollars a week each. any where from from 1st street to 27st street is an ok place to live. the bus system is unbelivable. $2 for a 24hr ticket. gettin into pubs and clubs will be difficult unless u have a passport. harpoin hannas on a wenesday night is the business. all shots and mixers are only 50c. my last to say about a j1 in oc is to try and get a job in a bar or resturant. we were lifeguards in the waterpark and that was an ok job but we were broke all summer. people we knew in pubs and resturants worked less and made about triple what we earned, which is important if u want to go visit NY washington or niagra falls. overall had my best summer ever in ocaen city.well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chris_01

3 of us are just after booking it for ocean city for the summer, i was in Washington Dc last year and i was sick of listening to people rant on about how 'awesome' this place was.

Its a great loaction too, baltimore which is beautiful is only down the road and DC is def worth spending a week at least there and is only a small trip down too!

The only matter is i wont be 21 and the other 2 are late june, although my age is 21 in american date reading...anyone got advise on getting away with that?

also was looking at accom, there is only 3 of us, if there are people with low numbers too and need to fill a house to get cheap rent...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TMCK

Hi!

Me and 4 girls from college are also thinking of Ocean City! We are in the middle of looking for work, which (from looking on boards) doesnt seem like its gonna be too hard, hopefully! To anyone who was there previously, what is the kinda average rent you'll be expecting to pay for a decent place, and is overcrowing the answer?! :)

Also, we are all under 21... Should we try get fake ids or just risk, in your opinion?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Oceancity11

Hi, 3 of us are going on a J1 to Ocean city this summer. We are 3 girls and we are looking for people to share accommodation with over there. We will probably be staying in a hostel for the first week or so unless we have accomm sorted before we go out. I've heard that people often stay in a hostel while looking for accomm and jobs. If anyone is interested let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dianababyddori

too_dolly wrote: »
    I'm going to ocean city with my friends as well looks like a class spot tbh! I have done a good bit of research into it looks like there isn't much to do there thats the only thing like I'd say a lot of traveling into the surrounding areas would have to be done!!if we are all going when it gets closer to summer we should all contact each other and then we could meet up in the states it would be good to get a group of people :)

Hey Guys... Also too heading over to ocean city with a few girls... seems lke its gonna be a good summer.

Join my group on facebook...easier than boards.ie

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_191033344255273

THINK YOU BE ABLE TO GET TO IT THERE OR TYPE IN 'J1 Summer 2011 Ocean City' GROUP

ciankgn wrote: »
    Hey all,

I was in Ocean City for a J1 in 2009. I thought it was a brilliant place to go and everyone out og the 14 people in my group got jobs with no real problems.

Accommodation was a different issue. We stayed in a house on Dorchester St. (No. 14) for a while. It was an absolute hole and the Landlords had the cops throw us out with no comback whatsoever. In the end we lost all out deposits but my advice is to avoide at all costs.

Getting into some pubs and buying drink at some places is alright with a good fake ID, but if you want to go to any clubs or drink in nicer (read: More popular) pubs you'll need a Passport.

Its really easy to travel to most of the eastern seaboard from OC. I traveled to New York, Washington and Niagra falls with a student center when I was there.

I'm pretty sure i'm going back there this summer with 3 other guys. We're all over 21 and If anyone wants to share accommodation it'd be cool......

All in all, a great place to live for a summer. Oh and as lynsey said, live on the lower end of the island if you can....

Cian

We were really set on going to Ocean City but now we may be rethinking it. It seems like a really fun place but it's small and I don't know if there's much to do or see there. We're considering going to Boston instead. Because it's a beach resort, did you find it boring at times? It looks amazing for a holiday but I'm not sure if it would be too much living there for three months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chris_01

hey everyone,

so ive been checking out accom for the summer and as ye have all probably found out its pretty steep!! :(

Posting this to see if anyone who is going out there is interested in coming together to fill a fairly decent place, we are a group of 3 guys going out to have a good time and make some money potentially!!

the more people in a house the cheaper for everyone and the more drink that can be bought weekly!!

hit me up if any1 has interest in the same idea or has a small group!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EmmaXKildare

Hey, myself and 3 other kildare girls are heading to ocean city the end of may for 3months, looking for people to share accomodation with, anyone interested :)???

add me to get in contact!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_191033344255273&notif_t=group_activity#!/profile.php?id=1641144234

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

hey so i know a lot of people heading to ocean city this summer

i work in new england but they are planning a road trip at some stage up to visit

if anyone is interested in driving from ocean city up towatrds new york staying in new york for a day or two then to boston and then up to were i work to do some skydiving send me a pm and ill get you in contact with the lads and lassies i know who are doing that from ocean city

its wierd how every year en mass the irish seem to decide on a particular city to invade, ocean city is going to get a big influx this year

lyndseyy wrote: »
    I have been born & raised in Ocean City MD so if anyone needs any help with anything about maybe spending a summer here, I`d be more than happy to help ya out! I got to know, meet, and party with quite a bit of the lads who came over from Ireland last year & will be headin over to Ireland for paddies this year to visit them all (:

Hope ya all choose OC for your j1! you wont regret it.

Helpful tip--try not to work or live anywhere above 40th st!!

Hey, I have my j1 booked to OC this summer and I'm looking around for accommodation now. Are the lower number streets busier than the higher numbers? Is the location better on the lower streets than it is on the higher streets? From google maps it looks like a long walk if you lived somewhere like 80th street to get to say 10th street?

What kinds of things is there to do/see in OC? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 charlie1234

I was in OC last summer for 3 months so I can give some advice...

1. As has been said, don't live above 40th street... In fact I'd go so far as to say only live between 1st and 20th at most. That's where all the Irish people lived - mainly concentrated between 7th and 13th.

2. As for accommodation being pricey, it's not at all. Do not go with realtors like Coldwell-Banker or any of them. They'll want the entire, ridiculously priced amount up front as well as a $500+ Security Deposit. Instead you can try ePoint Cafe (The Student Centre - http://www.ocstudentcenter.com/). You'll get a workable apartment off them for about ~$1000-1200 each for the entire season. Some places they have are significantly better than others so try book quickly.

If you book with them though, the places are like hostels nearly - shared bathrooms and kitchens and if you can't fill the place on your own, you'll more than likely have Russian speaking roommates.

You can also take your chances and try meet one of the private landlords out there. They generally offer great deals. I know some people who got better deals than we did and lived like royalty in comparison to us.

3. Use the Student Centre to get to and from the airport. They give by far the best deals - something like $60 to pick you up from either Dulles or New York Airport and bring you to Ocean City.

4. Alcohol is cheap. $10 for 1.75 ltrs of vodka, ~$15 for 30 cans (330mls). ID is a big deal over there though - especially during Senior Week (when all the equivalent of 6th year students descend on OC and cause mayhem, it's hilarious).

5. Without a passport you'll only really get into one or two places, I don't know whether I can name them here though but you'll figure out which ones they are quite quickly once you're over there. If anyone wants me to PM them the names then let me know.

6. Jobs are there. If you know where to look. Just get over by the end of May and you'll be sorted. Every single one of us who went over last year got a job no problem. Just don't mention that you're planning to go travelling in the middle of August. Say that you've passed your exams and that you're staying in OC til the end of September;) - Apparently us Irish people have a knack of disappearing in August to go to NY, California etc..

7. Try and get a job in a bar or a restaurant - since you're Irish you'll clean up in tips because everyone who visits will have an Irish ancestor somewhere, or own part of O'Briens' castle in Roscommon, or they had a pint of Guinness when they were younger and now they're Irish. That sort of thing.

Oh, and even though you're supposed to get overtime if you work more than 40hrs, the reality is that most places won't pay it to you so just a heads up if you're banking on that.

Try look up some places and email them now with your interest in working there. Include a photo too so they know who you are when you arrive.

8. Lastly, the beach is amazing and free too:)

So yeah, hopefully that helps people. If you need anything else let me know :)

P.s. I forgot to say the bus is $2 for a 24hr ticket anywhere and it runs 24/7 up and down the island which is fantastic.
    From google maps it looks like a long walk if you lived somewhere like 80th street to get to say 10th street?

Ye, that's not really do-able. You could walk it, but it would take about 90 minutes or so each way. Better to get the bus but even then it's a pain. Saying that, the 2 main clubs on the island - Seacrets and Fager's Island are both on 50th/60th street or thereabouts. Much better to stay around 10th-12th or so in my opinion.

And as has been said, try get in touch with Bill Ferguson when you get over there. When you go for your Social Security meeting, people will be handing out contact cards to Irish people to call him. They'll give you free blankets, towels, bedsheets, kettles and bikes. They only have a limited number of bikes though so call him early!! If you get a bike, make sure that you buy a lock! The amount of bikes that are stolen over there.... it has to be seen to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 smeekers2011

Hey im doing j1 this summer we were thinking like point plesant and seaside heights? is this near ocean city?
    Sara :)

• Advertisement

Hey guys,
    looking for tow house mates to join 6 irish girls in a accommdation for 8ppl... Its on 9th st in ocean city oly e755 each for the whole summer n includes bills. Anyone out there coming over for the summer and if you want this accommdation with us. could you let me know asap:) thanks:)

Hey we would be interested in joining ye. Its just myself and my boyfriend. dont worry were not a mushy couple :) we are flying out from shannon airport 1st june and returning the 14th august. does this work for ye? what part of kildare are ye from i used to live near athy and how old are ye? sure add me on face book we can talk more

Thanks
    sara :) heres my link http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100000496996759

hey are you going to ocean city for the summer imlooking for room mates you seem to have experience? were flying out the 1st june
    thanks
    Sara :)

Hi sara, mailed you on facebook there...yea dats sounds prefect:) so we have our house now:) get back to me when you can and i'll forward evertything on to you:) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 larissa555

Hi!
    My friend and I also going to Ocean City this summer with J1...but we have to find a job before we get there otherwise we won't be getting a visa... so, are everyone of you guys who are planing to go already found a job? if you are can you give us some advice please? where did you find it, where to look etc...
    thakssss

• Registered Users Posts: 12 honeybadger11

Hello all,
    Me and a 2 or 3 friends were thinking of heading to ocean city. Do you have any ideas about accomadation or work or social life???? Im 19 and from Meath btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 conall.doherty

ria22 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    looking for tow house mates to join 6 irish girls in a accommdation for 8ppl... Its on 9th st in ocean city oly e755 each for the whole summer n includes bills. Anyone out there coming over for the summer and if you want this accommdation with us. could you let me know asap:) thanks:)

myself and 4 other lads are headin out from belfast. goin quite late (10th June) because of uni exams in england. For this reason we'd be keen to get something sorted before we headed out there because chances are all the gd apts will have gone as all you southerners seem to go out middle of may lol.

where did you sort your accom from? been in touch with the student center and theyre quotin 1200 for the season which aint bad and we'l likely share with 3/4 other folk.

anyone have any experience with student center properties?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 conall.doherty

I was in OC last summer for 3 months so I can give some advice...

1. As has been said, don't live above 40th street... In fact I'd go so far as to say only live between 1st and 20th at most. That's where all the Irish people lived - mainly concentrated between 7th and 13th.

2. As for accommodation being pricey, it's not at all. Do not go with realtors like Coldwell-Banker or any of them. They'll want the entire, ridiculously priced amount up front as well as a $500+ Security Deposit. Instead you can try ePoint Cafe (The Student Centre - http://www.ocstudentcenter.com/). You'll get a workable apartment off them for about ~$1000-1200 each for the entire season. Some places they have are significantly better than others so try book quickly.

If you book with them though, the places are like hostels nearly - shared bathrooms and kitchens and if you can't fill the place on your own, you'll more than likely have Russian speaking roommates.

You can also take your chances and try meet one of the private landlords out there. They generally offer great deals. I know some people who got better deals than we did and lived like royalty in comparison to us.

3. Use the Student Centre to get to and from the airport. They give by far the best deals - something like $60 to pick you up from either Dulles or New York Airport and bring you to Ocean City.

4. Alcohol is cheap. $10 for 1.75 ltrs of vodka, ~$15 for 30 cans (330mls). ID is a big deal over there though - especially during Senior Week (when all the equivalent of 6th year students descend on OC and cause mayhem, it's hilarious).

5. Without a passport you'll only really get into one or two places, I don't know whether I can name them here though but you'll figure out which ones they are quite quickly once you're over there. If anyone wants me to PM them the names then let me know.

6. Jobs are there. If you know where to look. Just get over by the end of May and you'll be sorted. Every single one of us who went over last year got a job no problem. Just don't mention that you're planning to go travelling in the middle of August. Say that you've passed your exams and that you're staying in OC til the end of September;) - Apparently us Irish people have a knack of disappearing in August to go to NY, California etc..

7. Try and get a job in a bar or a restaurant - since you're Irish you'll clean up in tips because everyone who visits will have an Irish ancestor somewhere, or own part of O'Briens' castle in Roscommon, or they had a pint of Guinness when they were younger and now they're Irish. That sort of thing.

Oh, and even though you're supposed to get overtime if you work more than 40hrs, the reality is that most places won't pay it to you so just a heads up if you're banking on that.

Try look up some places and email them now with your interest in working there. Include a photo too so they know who you are when you arrive.

8. Lastly, the beach is amazing and free too:)

So yeah, hopefully that helps people. If you need anything else let me know :)

P.s. I forgot to say the bus is $2 for a 24hr ticket anywhere and it runs 24/7 up and down the island which is fantastic.

Ye, that's not really do-able. You could walk it, but it would take about 90 minutes or so each way. Better to get the bus but even then it's a pain. Saying that, the 2 main clubs on the island - Seacrets and Fager's Island are both on 50th/60th street or thereabouts. Much better to stay around 10th-12th or so in my opinion.

And as has been said, try get in touch with Bill Ferguson when you get over there. When you go for your Social Security meeting, people will be handing out contact cards to Irish people to call him. They'll give you free blankets, towels, bedsheets, kettles and bikes. They only have a limited number of bikes though so call him early!! If you get a bike, make sure that you buy a lock! The amount of bikes that are stolen over there.... it has to be seen to be believed.

sounds lethal.

did u sort out accomadation before you arrived? we're arrivin on 10th June and dont want to risk not finding anywhere dowtown if we dont sort something before we get ther

• Registered Users Posts: 33 charlie1234

sounds lethal.

did u sort out accomadation before you arrived? we're arrivin on 10th June and dont want to risk not finding anywhere dowtown if we dont sort something before we get ther

We had nothing sorted before we arrived, but then again we arrived at the end of May and were basically given what was left sorta thing. It starts to get really busy in June so if I were you I'd try to have something sorted out before you get there if possible since you're going in June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 running man

Hey 4 friends and i are heading to Ocean city on the 27th of May and are looking for 3 possibly 4 more to share with. we have accomm booked and ready to go. need a few more to keep costs down. We are all donegal lads so everyone knows what were like up in donegal. If your looking for banter our house is the place to be in ocean city
    Send me an email on pauricmac@hotmail.com if your interested

Advertisement