Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for everyone

• 15-08-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I thought I'd share this with people who cannot get broadband. Where I live there is no broadband from anyone and won't be in the near future.

But I managed to have broadband for the last 3 years. So here is what you do. I tried my only options that is Three, Vodafone and O2. I had no coverage with any of them anywhere, even in my garden.

So this is what I did, I put the O2 modem in a small square lunch box, drilled a small hole and pulled the cable out. Extended the cable with 2 5m UBS repeaters, and mounted this on a pole coming out of the tree. I have this plugged into a 3g wifi router in the shed.

Ok I know I I'm not reinventing the wheel here but the extra height on the modem gives me around 40% coverage, meaning I get on average a 3Mbps down and about 1Mbps up. I even managed to get 6Mbps down once.

P.s. I've tried a high gain passive aerial but the above gives me best results connection still drops from time to time, but I went from no signal to quite good for little money.

Hope this helps someone.

916461086.png

Advertisement