Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd year Geog! independent study 1/2

Options
  • 15-08-2010 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

hey guys!
    Reg is on Wednesday so just having a look at modules and wondering if anyones gonna do the independent study modules ie, the mini thesis!

Anyone reckon it could be on any topic ya like? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Theres easier modules in geography I feel. I just finished an MA in it in UCD. Dissertations are not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

Theres easier modules in geography I feel. I just finished an MA in it in UCD. Dissertations are not fun.

2 semesters to russle up 8,000 words though? I dunno it sounds appealing to me to research anything ya want! well im just assuming it can be any geo topic haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

McNuggy10 wrote: »
    2 semesters to russle up 8,000 words though? I dunno it sounds appealing to me to research anything ya want! well im just assuming it can be any geo topic haha

Fine, don't take the advice from an MA student, sure what does he know...
    I'm currently doing a thesis myself and it's not fun, exams are piss in comparison.

A thesis is a tremendously arduous, laborious, time consuming, back-breaking, tedious, soul-crushing experience but one that will no doubt be something to learn from.
    However, I wouldn't throw caution to the wind just yet.

It can't be just "any topic" and you can't just "research anything", it's more complicated than that. Topics are based on the lecturers available and usually they have pre-prescribed topics (which of course you can deviate from depending of course whether you support such an action). A topic has to more or less match up with the research interests of the lecturer (i.e. so he is sufficiently equipped to supervise you).
    Secondly, when you research stuff it has to be justified. The difference between a thesis and anything else you've ever done is that you have to show "why" you're doing certain analyses, why you've looked at certain records etc... It has to be focussed to some extent but not narrow that you only read a few sources.
    I'll give you an example, I'm doing my thesis on stable isotopes and foraminiferal assemblages, in which the former provides data comparable to the latter for relative sea-level reconstruction studies. I've thus far, had to read stuff ranging from tidal modelling to plant biochemistry and preferential fractionation of δ13C in plants and particulate organic matter. I've read I'd say a 100 papers/books, I've spent half of my thesis time in a laboratory and I'm a postgrad.
    If you're doing an undergraduate thesis, you'll be the bottom rung of the ladder, you might be lucky if Mills/Gallagher/Brady et al. even remember your name. You won't have the facilities that would be afforded to the likes of me or DB or postgrads in general.
    Also, it's a massive undertaking. Exams are extremely predictable and beatable, especially in UCD Geography (AH: MCQs and a prescribed essay, GM: 1 long question, 4 medium, 6 short and 12 mcqs, JT: 2 essays in an exam, CG: 1 essay handed in at the end of term etc...). A thesis is totally up in the air, I know in mine a machine was broken and I had to send samples off to England to be analysed. You can lose marks in loads of places in spite of what you might think is correct.
    And finally, it's a solitary action, the supervisor might point you in the right direction but if you do decide this undertaking, get used to hearing the phrase:

"It's your thesis".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

What he said. As far as I know there could be anything from 20-30 MA students next year, theres about 4-5 PHDs and then theres perhaps 20-50 places on that module. Basically you are waayy down the bottom rung, contact will be limited after Christmas I would say. Its probably the first module shows you how to get a topic, work on it and the 2nd module is you out on your own.

I'm sure the staff will be happy to help you but they have loads of other priorities.

Theres far nicer modules in 3rd year: Geopolitics, Development of Dublin, Latin America are modules that an A or B can be gotten by doing good reading whereas the dissertation will require you to do lots of additional work. Remember this is your final year, you dont want to be giving yourself an unecessarily heavy workload - but its up to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

What he said. As far as I know there could be anything from 20-30 MA students next year, theres about 4-5 PHDs and then theres perhaps 20-50 places on that module. Basically you are waayy down the bottom rung, contact will be limited after Christmas I would say. Its probably the first module shows you how to get a topic, work on it and the 2nd module is you out on your own.

I'm sure the staff will be happy to help you but they have loads of other priorities.

Theres far nicer modules in 3rd year: Geopolitics, Development of Dublin, Latin America are modules that an A or B can be gotten by doing good reading whereas the dissertation will require you to do lots of additional work. Remember this is your final year, you dont want to be giving yourself an unecessarily heavy workload - but its up to yourself

Hmm after all your inputs it seems like this is not the option for me!!
    there goes my chance to write about volcanoes!!! devastating!!!
    thanks though guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

If I were in your position, I'd probably take it.
    I enjoyed my classes last year (3rd year Geog) with essay components. I found staff to be helpful and really appreciated the freedom I had in my 5,000 word essay.
    Is the module 5 or 10 credits?

You could also gain insight into whether you have any interest in going an academic research route. You could also be a person that is better suited to working consistently, throughout the year and this course could be tailored for you. That being said, you might be a crammer, looking for a handy module and I doubt this would suit you, if that's the case.

I know someone who did, what I imagine is, an identical course in final year Economics last year and it sounded pretty decent.
    On a side note, I believe the MA programme is full this year at 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I can't believe the negativity in this thread about a dissertation/mini-thesis.

Yes it requires a bit of original thought and lots of reading but it is well worth it and 8000 words is nothing. Before anyone jumps down my throat my mini-thesis (for taught masters) was 20000 words and essays I had to write earlier this year were 8000 - for maybe 25% of overall module grade so I know what I am talking about.

If you are thinking about doing a masters then this gives you a taste of research with only 5/10 credits at stake, as opposed to 30credits+ which it would be in a taught masters.

Even if you are not thinking of going beyond primary degree, many employers look for evidence that you can research and analyse information - something you have to do, to write a mini-thesis.

The workload can be spread over the semester unlike an exam which ultimately comes down to 1 - 2 hrs in the rds.

I know its now almost 2 years since I was a Geog student in UCD but the staff have always been so friendly, approachable and helpful despite their large workloads. This was even after I ceased to be a student in School of GPEP.

All that said – it’s obviously up to you – and independent study is not a module for someone who isn’t motivated to do the work on their own or is looking for easy options.

Advertisement