Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT Hero Alan Turing

Options
  • 15-08-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

I think we in the LGBT community often look to entertainment, politics and other areas of public life for role models. However, there have been many exceptional LGBT individuals in other areas such as science, engineering and medicine. Alan Turing was one such individual.

Alan Turing was a mathematician, logician and cryptanalyst. He is also credited with being one of the fathers of computer science. During the second world war he played a pivotal role in deciphering nazi communications for the allies. Heres a wikipedia link and a youtube video on this amazing man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

As a gay computer science postgrad, I have to say this man is one of my heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hehe, I based my undergrad philosophy thesis on the Turing test, and the Lady Lovelace objection... I think I only picked it cos her name sounded kinky. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

British Government issued an official apology last year I think.
    Obviously far too little/late but removed a black mark against his name finally

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A very admirable figure. He has a good role in Neal Stephenson's excellent 'Cryptonomicon'.
    I know a number of scientists recently pushed for that apology from the British government.

Advertisement