Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

88cm To 120cm Dish

• 15-08-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hello All.

I have an 88cm Dish and am thinking of upgrading to 1.2m Has anybody done this and found it to be much better. I get all the channels on the Stronger Beams but since Lynsat done away with the dish size on their maps, I don't know will I be better off.

I'm in Cork so anybody with one, please let me know what you think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Apogee

You should notice a substantial difference going from 88cm to 120cm. Presumably you mean 16e?

At the very least, it will also give you access to the FTA english language stuff on 26E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

16east doesn't bother me after the very poor PQ from Tring. Looking really at gaining some Nordic transponders that I can't get a sniff off. I get Canal+Film HD at a fluctuating 25-60%. I think this dish would pull this in but is it overkill for whats available.

I have all most of the "available" channels from 42e-30w except beams on 23, 4e and 1w. I really want to know is it worth the the hassle of putting up such a large dish and gaining very little...........

Outside of 28E, then 26E is the next best for FTA material by far. So from that point of view, it's probably worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iv been watching DigitalB during the weekend, really some good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I agree with 26 east, great stuff on MBC channels all day long. Ive a 1.1m and i can hold onto the MBC signal until the worse rain/weather arrives. Ive my lnb covered as well with a little cap to keep the rain off it so its only the rain in the atmosphere that affects it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

I agree with 26 east, great stuff on MBC channels all day long. Ive a 1.1m and i can hold onto the MBC signal until the worse rain/weather arrives. Ive my lnb covered as well with a little cap to keep the rain off it so its only the rain in the atmosphere that affects it!
    dto.

Thanks everybody. Just ordered the dish on your recommendations. Will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

120cm dish is a LOT bigger, more wind load etc. Ensure your motor and brackets will take the load. I changed from 90cm to 110cm and ended up having to change the bracketing system due to the thing shifting during stormy weather.

Thanks Tony. I have 24 inch T&K with a really strong pole. They are only spaced about 18 inches apart. The dish is only about 5 foot off the ground on the back end of a boiler house so I hope it'll all hold together with the new dish. Only real concern I have is the TM2300 motor, will it be able to drive the dish and hold it good enough. The dish is a Triax110 which isn't really 1.2m so I hope it'll be ok.
    Deliverly tomorrow so I'll have fun over the weekend.

Installed dish. It is massive compared to the "old" one. Took approx 10mins to line up. Gain is unreal. I can even get TV2 PL HD on 1west. Same problem with Canal+ HD's no signal. Have MBC booming in and all sats are up about 30-40% signal. All beams are available on 16 and 23. Downside is I've lost everything west of 18west because the dish is too big. It's on 24" t&K and still not far enough away.

Well worth the €89.

Just got a good sniff of the infamous 7west. 37% of City 7 TV and other V transponders. You wouldn't say it's good enough to watch (breaking up) but is better PQ than Tring sports. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No, your brackets are too small :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

tomslick wrote: »
    Thanks Tony. I have 24 inch T&K with a really strong pole. They are only spaced about 18 inches apart.

Wouldn't it be more stable if the brackets were further apart? 18" sounds very close together.I only have the Triax TD88 coming up over shoots/roof the north facing wall of my house and the T&K's are 2 feet apart.I'm also moving to the Triax TD110 in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

What size/make of dish and where did you buy? 89euro is very good price. You should now get tring from where you are. What lnb are you using?

gbcullen

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    What size/make of dish and where did you buy? 89euro is very good price. You should now get tring from where you are. What lnb are you using?

gbcullen
    It's a Triax TD110 dish from satellite tv dot ie and a Smart twin lnb from tvtrade dot ie. Dish was €89 delivered and lnb was about €15 delivered. Tried a few different lnb's on the dish on saturday with the smart twin 75dB, icecrypt single 72dB, Lidl twin 62dB and Sky octo 63dB. These values were on a digitv transponder on 1 West. Used a very expensive sat finder ( promax tv explorer II ) to get these gain values.

I get Tring now no problem and all of 16 east at about 60-70%.

Hope this helps with your purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭nordine

16east doesn't bother me after the very poor PQ from Tring. Looking really at gaining some Nordic transponders that I can't get a sniff off. I get Canal+Film HD at a fluctuating 25-60%. I think this dish would pull this in but is it overkill for whats available.

I have all most of the "available" channels from 42e-30w except beams on 23, 4e and 1w. I really want to know is it worth the the hassle of putting up such a large dish and gaining very little...........

When you say the Tring PQ is poor, how poor do you mean?

Will a 80cm dish be adequate to pick up this 16e sat?

You'll be boarderline for 16east with an 80cm. It'll depend on where you are. By PQ poor, I mean the channel quality is so bad the football looks like a bad stream from the internet. No matter how big your dish it'll still look like crap. Have a search around people have put up pictures of the matches and you could only tell who's playing by the scoreboard. Alsat have blamed everything on peoples setup including no english commentry. Beware of Tring for now...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

you dont say where you are!!

I went to sat.ie and saw no triax dish!! I had an old triax 1.1m from way back, used to be dual feed 13/19 days. It looked ok so gave it a go and it outperforms the gilbertini 1.0m. I used a technomate quad 0.1db as opposed to an invacom quad. I actually put up the second pole with a view to have 2 motorised but it looked too much and as SWMBO spoke I did not have time to leave it and do a few comparisons. I get great reaults from 42 east to 30w but that spider threw me as channel list got corrupt so lost one sat and of course assumed I had done dish wrong. Eventually thought it through and sorted it.

By the way that gadget you used is very expensive as I did a search. I use a portbale tv.radio.cd player that I put on roof with a long coax lead from receiver!!!

I get 75/76 on tring. It's digitalb that are weak at the moment but this should be resolved when a new bird goes up later this year.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭nordine

Im in Wexford.

What are the other alternatives to Tring for showing live premier league on saturdays?

ITried a few different lnb's on the dish on saturday with the smart twin 75dB, icecrypt single 72dB, Lidl twin 62dB and Sky octo 63dB. These values were on a digitv transponder on 1 West. Used a very expensive sat finder ( promax tv explorer II ) to get these gain values.

Did you get BER readings on that TP for the LNBs too?

Apogee wrote: »
    Did you get BER readings on that TP for the LNBs too?
    I can't remember the readings but I do know they were very low as I was adjusting to suit. Was mainly looking for max gain. I'll have another look if you really want the info.

The dish is here:

http://www.satellitetv.ie/shop/index.php?controller=product&path=20&product_id=18

• Advertisement
Advertisement