Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question bout getting a tourist visa after a WHV

Options
  • 15-08-2010 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey guys,
    was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible. I am on a year WHV due to expire soon I didn't do my farm work so cant apply for a second year. I dont really want to but would like to stay on for another 3 months on a Tourist visa ( have the money saved to do this just want to chill for a bit ) is it possible to do this from inside oz or will I have to leave head to NZ for a holiday and then get it that way just not getting much useful info from the immigration site.
    If anyone knows how too do this that would be cool.

Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

stells wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible. I am on a year WHV due to expire soon I didn't do my farm work so cant apply for a second year. I dont really want to but would like to stay on for another 3 months on a Tourist visa ( have the money saved to do this just want to chill for a bit ) is it possible to do this from inside oz or will I have to leave head to NZ for a holiday and then get it that way just not getting much useful info from the immigration site.
    If anyone knows how too do this that would be cool.

Cheers:D

I'm pretty sure you have to leave - please check here http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/976/how-to-apply.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah you have to be offshore to get a tourist visa unless you already have one and are getting it extended. You can go to NZ for a few days and apply for a tourist visa after being on a WHV easy enough and I have had a few friends do that without issue.

However this is sometimes referred to as 'visa running' and I have heard of people being refused entry at Sydney Airport because immigration suspect that these people might be returning to continue working on a tourist visa. Having money in the bank and a departing ticket from Australia might not save you from scrutiny, it all depends on who you get on the day I suppose.

After the 2nd WHV scams and the economic situation back home immigration are pretty wary of Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stells

Cheers thought that might be the way oh well definatley worse things than a trip to NZ lets just hope they let me back in ;)

Advertisement