Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review my build please

Options
  • 15-08-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi lads,

I'm thinking about building a desktop for a while, at the moment I have a 4 year old laptop (Athlon64 3500+, 1GB DDR, ATI x200 128MB) which, needless to say, just doesn't cut the mustard anymore. :( So I lurked B&U and this is the build I came up with:

am3build.png

Intended purposes: playing FPS games fluidly at 1920x1080; a bit of software development (starting 2nd year in college, also digging into Android with emulators and stuff); running virtual machines of Linux/XP; internet browsing and general tasks. No heavy video encoding/3D rendering or anything like that.

Budget: ~€1100 which has to include the monitor. OS is sorted, I have a retail copy of Win 7 HP I preordered on Amazon while it was half price. :P Keyboard and mouse I also have already.

Have I forgot or overlooked anything? :o
    Will the PSU be enough? :eek:
    What fullHD monitor do you guys recommend for around €200? :confused:

Any other recommendations/observations/advice is more than welcome. Nothing above is set in stone. I'm not interested in Crossfire or RAID.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Nice build, surprised you didn't drop the extra €30-odd to go with an i5-750 :p

Is that PSU enough? Sure - so long as you don't OC or only do so very conservatively. If you want to unleash the full OC potential of your parts you'll need a good 600-650W PSU :o

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Cheers Solitaire, I'll go with the Corsair TX650 instead, it's only a tenner more.

I chose AMD because of their track record of re-using sockets as much as possible. Here is hope for cheap and simple future upgrades. :o

Anyone have first-hand experience with the Benq G2420HDBL? Is it all that it's cracked up to be? (long read)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

id have to agree with sol on the i5-750 way out preforms the amd. and with the better psu the i5 overclocks like a beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

p1110180a.th.jpg

Mugen II + Ripjaws, that's gonna be close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Nice build!

No need for the i5 750, i think this is a solid future proof build.

• Advertisement

Whoa, there's something I overlooked! :eek: Now, different cooler or different RAM?
    zappb wrote: »
    Nice build!

No need for the i5 750, i think this is a solid future proof build.
    Thanks, I'd be more confident with the i5 if I had the opportunity to upgrade to the next best thing a few years down the road, and it's much more likely with AMD. Intel'll probably invent a new way to mount the CPU by then... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

p1110180a.th.jpg

Its just a little airborne, its still good! its still good!! :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

More ram maybe? PC i built 3 years ago had 4gb ram, PC I've just finished has 12gb, which is probably too much for you but I'd say up to 6gb or 8gb. handy for your virtual machines.

You're right and I plan to get another 4GB later on but right now another €90-100 is out of budget. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Budgets :(
    I do my programing in a VM so the extra ram is great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

Is that PSU enough? Sure - so long as you don't OC or only do so very conservatively. If you want to unleash the full OC potential of your parts you'll need a good 600-650W PSU

A VX550 PSU is more than enough, even if you want the full OC potential...I run a i5 750 @ 4.1GHz with an Asus HD5850 etc on a Corsair VX450w PSU, so save your £10 and go for the VX550...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

BeciMester wrote: »
    Anyone have first-hand experience with the Benq G2420HDBL? Is it all that it's cracked up to be? (long read)

I have http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEM351687 which is an older model and find it to be very good and have not had any issues with it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, parts are on order now, I'll let y'all know how I get on.

In the end I went with the TX650 just to be on the safe side. Also realised that I'll be sitting like 3 feet from the monitor so a 22 inch will do me fine, so I ordered a Benq G2220HD as it's getting favourable reviews and it's dirt cheap for a 1080p display. I put the savings towards that extra 4GB of RAM. :pac:

Advertisement