Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Education Requirments (Launguage)

• 15-08-2010 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Evening people, Its my first time posting in this section so just bare with me :)

Im a little confused about the Education Requirments for becoming a Garda in the comming future.

I read that there is a few types of requirments that can get you into the garda college such as :
    From the forum FAQ:

From Garda Website:

EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
    Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:
    A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
    English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
    Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
    Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects

Or

The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate

Or

Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.

Ive dropped French for the Leaving Cert ( could never get used to it) and instead took up LCVP.

My question is, Is this
    The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate
    referring to LCVP.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

mle1324 wrote: »
    Evening people, Its my first time posting in this section so just bare with me :)

Im a little confused about the Education Requirments for becoming a Garda in the comming future.

I read that there is a few types of requirments that can get you into the garda college such as :

Ive dropped French for the Leaving Cert ( could never get used to it) and instead took up LCVP.

My question is, Is this referring to LCVP.

Thanks

i think lca is leaving cert applied, not sure of lcvp to be honest but your best bet is to ring hr department in garda hq to ask. At least then you'd get a straight answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

C-J wrote: »
    i think lca is leaving cert applied, not sure of lcvp to be honest but your best bet is to ring hr department in garda hq to ask. At least then you'd get a straight answer!

Thanks C-J

Im just hoping that theres a way around.

Any more info appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

My question is, Is this referring to LCVP.

Thanks

The Lcvp would be the leaving cert voctional project and is different to the leaving cert appiled so you wouldnt be able use the merit in that, so you need a second language to apply,

da__flash wrote: »
    The Lcvp would be the leaving cert voctional project and is different to the leaving cert appiled so you wouldnt be able use the merit in that, so you need a second language to apply,

Well if thats true then i suppose im fooked :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

Well if thats true then i suppose im fooked :(

Apply to do another language in next years leaving Cert. Its not going to set you back too long

• Advertisement

itsallgood wrote: »
    Apply to do another language in next years leaving Cert. Its not going to set you back too long

Yeah I'd have to think about it.

Do people who are exempt from French, German ect ect get into the collage ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Yeah I'd have to think about it.

Do people who are exempt from French, German ect ect get into the collage ?

People who meet all requirements and pass every stage get accepted. You need 2 languages, at least 1 to include english or irish. If you have english and irish that meets the requirements. If you have one of those plus one other, that meets the requirements.
    You should be aware, however that you would be required to do either post leaving certificate French or Beginners German while in the college. You are not exempt down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AaronFitz10

I got a b1 in English and a b3 in Irish for the leaving cert but i have no other language do i meet the entry requirements for the guards? Iv been really worried as i thought I might have to go back and study french leaving cert. please help

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Aaron I don't mean to sound rude, but can you not read the Educational Requirements in the very first post and figure out whether you meet the entry requirements yourself? It really isn't that difficult. The information you need is right in front of you - all you have to do is read it!

yes i read it but im not sure if english and irish count as the 2 languages, so could you or someone else just tell me if i meet the requirments please

• Advertisement

ARE YOU FOR REAL???????????????????????????????
    Are you sure you passed English or did you sit Irish and presume you have English because they are the one language?

no need to get smart, i just thought u need either english or irish plus another european language...but now i know i just need english and irish

Sorry Aaron, was just a bizarre question to ask.

Advertisement