Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My GPU died.

Options
  • 15-08-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

My GPU will no longer load drivers, so presumably it's effed. I need some recommendations for a new one. I don't want to spend too much as I will probably be getting a new machine in the next year. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, the most taxing thing I play is The Sims 3 so I don't need anything too powerful. The GPU was an Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT, something like it that is basically what I am looking for. Thanks for any help, I'm a little lost as hardware isn't really my forte.

Specs:
    Vista 32bit
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    2GB RAM
    290GB HD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm such a shameless plug whore, but here goes again.

Seems to be especially effective on Geforce 8 Series. I've done an 8800GTX and 8800GTS myself along with a friends card which was an 8X00GT IIRC. Al working fine to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Nice one!, its going into the oven tomorrow morning, I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Idk if 200°C would actually do more harm than good. I mostly read about successes with 105-110°C for 25-30 minutes.

Idk if 200°C would actually do more harm than good. I mostly read about successes with 105-110°C for 25-30 minutes.

Nah, that defies the principle of the thing. You want to melt the solder only. As solder is a good conductor it will rapidly absorb the heat from the oven. The plastic however is slower. A short blast of hight temp is much safer than a long one of low temps as you'll end up melting your DVI/VGA connectors and other plastic parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Yes sounds about right that way - I should have listened in school :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nah, that defies the principle of the thing. You want to melt the solder only. As solder is a good conductor it will rapidly absorb the heat from the oven. The plastic however is slower. A short blast of hight temp is much safer than a long one of low temps as you'll end up melting your DVI/VGA connectors and other plastic parts.
    d...d-dont confuse me with your Science. Mister Scientist.

Makes damn perfect sense though :)

Thats just my understanding from reading on microfissures in solder and Leaving Cert Physics(Common A:p).

Seems to work in any case as 90% comments on that clip have been positive, and most of the negative ones are clearly trolls.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You're basically reflowing the board. Its pretty much how the boards were made in the first place.

Generally a conveyor pulls the board through the various thermal zones.
    GF-120HT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hey all,

It's been a while, I've had a mad few weeks and I only am getting around to sorting it out now. Just wondering what I should take off the GPU before I put it in the oven i.e. the fan, vga ports and the like, never done this before so if I do have to take them off a little how to wouldn't go astray. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I'd be interested in the result of your baking experiment OP.

I have an 8800 GT which just died in my parents PC. I tried to convince them to let me bake it for them but they didn't seem to like the idea.

I've since replaced it with a HD 5670 and will probably stick with AMD/ATI but I'd still like to try to turn it into a jesus card (back from the dead).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Dorsanty wrote: »
    I'd be interested in the result of your baking experiment OP.

I have an 8800 GT which just died in my parents PC. I tried to convince them to let me bake it for them but they didn't seem to like the idea.

I've since replaced it with a HD 5670 and will probably stick with AMD/ATI but I'd still like to try to turn it into a jesus card (back from the dead).
    bake it, the trick was discovered with the 8800 cards :), worth a try anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

Dragging up an old post .

But I did this last nite with one of the cards 8800GTX XFX . And it worked sure enough . :D

Couple of things that I'm stumped on. This does not reflow the solder.
    mainly cause when been assembled the first time , going thru IR reflow there would have been flux in the paste to activate it , and the oven would have been @ about 220 at final stage for reflow.

Best I can come up with it is it just burns some stuff off .and after a short discussion with some of the Eng's i work with. It might have been better for me to put it into the ultrasonic wash here and bake in one of the ovens afterwards for 20min @ 100degc . but I googled it so I had to try it. :D

I must try and find a few more and see if the wash works just as well as the oven.

Advertisement