Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Yes Yes...

• 15-08-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

I've been after a TLR for ages, ever since I decided I wanted to try film photography. For some reason I had thought that 120 film was really expensive but looking online it doesn't seem to be which is great news. I'm currently bidding on a Yashica 12 which supposedly is in great nick. I'm so excited!!!

yashica-12.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Best of luck with it, it's a beaut :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, it's a beaut :)

Thanks Al. I always wanted one but the sheer variety available always intimidated me a little. I decided the other night to just jump in and be done with it. The seller has 100% feedback so hopefully it'll all be good.

Yeah I know the thread title could be a little misleading :) but I really am stupidly excited about this. I've always loved the look of these and the whole romantic/nostalgic element they possess. Plus it's taking things in a new direction which is always good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I have one of these, well not sure if it the same model its the 124G, let me know if you want to mess around with it.

Chorcai wrote: »
    I have one of these, well not sure if it the same model its the 124G, let me know if you want to mess around with it.

Oh wow that's very generous of you Chorcai. I'd love that but I'd be terrified I'd break it. I'm careful with my equipment but I always have an irrational fear I'll break someone else's!

Have you used your 124G, any shots you can show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I've got that 124G as well actually. The yashica TLRs are under appreciated gems, they were always overshadowed by their fancy pants rollei or brutal industrial mamiya peers. Bear in mind though that TLRs are a gateway drug. sooner or later you'll start craving a 120 SLR and you'll be trawling ebay for bronicas or RB67s or (lordy lordy lordy) hassleblads :D
    Mine is sitting in a shelf at the moment being woefully underused, so if that auction falls through you can put a few rolls through it if you want. Hand off is always a problem though, i'm finding it next to impossible to organise anything at the moment ...

• Advertisement

I've got that 124G as well actually. The yashica TLRs are under appreciated gems, they were always overshadowed by their fancy pants rollei or brutal industrial mamiya peers. Bear in mind though that TLRs are a gateway drug. sooner or later you'll start craving a 120 SLR and you'll be trawling ebay for bronicas or RB67s or (lordy lordy lordy) hassleblads :D

Then you begin to crave larger formats, and move on to a 4x5... and then it all goes out the window, and you end up getting a nice rangefinder. Which you then deem to big to carry around all the time, so you buy a smaller one. Then another smaller one. I'll let you know what happens after that. I think it involves spending more money on instant film.

:-/

Back on topic, I've a rather nice Flexaret VII if that falls through too, and you decide you don't want the two metered options offered :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Then you begin to crave larger formats, and move on to a 4x5...

4x5. Pfff. Wuss !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

nerd.....

:p

/off to find it on eBay - if there's a counter offer made in the last 5 seconds, it won't be me :D

(good luck)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The_giant_camera.jpg

4x5. Pfff. Wuss !

:pac:

• Advertisement

The_giant_camera.jpg

Touche. Well played, sir ... well played.

Thanks very much for the offers guys, hopefully I'll win and won't need to take you up on them. Ah indeed, where does all the craziness end! After a TLR I'm not sure what else I could want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

You'll love it -Have a Yashica here meself, and will be looking around for a Bronica SQ-A 6x6 in the next few weeks -it's a total gateway drug :)

6x9 is a lovely ratio too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I have two TLRs. And yeah, am now nursing a borrowed hasselblad and looking (no, not really!) at a zeiss 150mm lens for it on photography.ie, and planning all sorts with large format negs.

Careful now! Down with that sort of thing!

Up with that sort of thing -the more folk shooting film the better!

If only I could find a reasonably priced lens for my enlarger so I could print 120 film I'd be happy out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

9689.jpg

tbh

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »
    tbh

Ah now, don't go raining on my parade! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ah now, don't go raining on my parade! :p

I have some film if you want it? I had another thread about bringing film through the airport and alot of the 120 got ruined including rolls I didn't use while away. Instead of throwing it out you can have it for a few test rolls if you like? By ruined I mean faint red lines through the negative. Still exposes fine but the lines kinda ruin it.

Kinda see them here

4895802466_77167b9ab2.jpg

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

9689.jpg

tbh

That's the puppy I want (it is an SQ-A is it?)

• Advertisement

ahHa, I actually have a picture of my 'Mat. I'd forgotten ...

456289832_33090d64d0.jpg
    Yashica by Daire Quinlan, on Flickr

and another one taken by a smaller, plasticier TLR ...

4156331204_75f6c7b1b8.jpg
    Big Brother by Daire Quinlan, on Flickr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

john gunn has two mamiya RB67s and a rake of lenses at the moment. you'd probably save on gym fees if you bought them, so they're good value in that sense.

I have some film if you want it? I had another thread about bringing film through the airport and alot of the 120 got ruined including rolls I didn't use while away. Instead of throwing it out you can have it for a few test rolls if you like? By ruined I mean faint red lines through the negative. Still exposes fine but the lines kinda ruin it.

Kinda see them here
    [/IMG]

Wow yes I'd love that, that would be brilliant- thank you very much. I've never ventured into 120 territory before so completely starting off. I don't mind it being wonky, as you said some test rolls would be a great start.

So did you win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Of all the medium format camera I own I love my Mamiya C330 more than all of them... and that includes a pair of Hasselblad 500s, Bronicas, a Mamiya RZ, even a Mamiya 7 II which is heralded by some as the greatest camera of all time.

I typically use the standard 80mm F2.8 lens which is just amazing... there's something special about it. This lens along with the bellows for close focussing is just an amazing combination.

I don't own a Yashica TLR but I have handled one... t'was a lovely little thing.

john gunn has two mamiya RB67s and a rake of lenses at the moment. you'd probably save on gym fees if you bought them, so they're good value in that sense.

oh god ... how much is he looking for them ? they'd better be expensive, to provide a suitable dis-inducement ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I would kind of like one of these pentax 6x7
    pentax6x7.jpg

I would kind of like one of these pentax 6x7

Seen a couple of them (inc. prism and lens) in near mint condition go for roughly £900 each on eBay recently... not cheap.

oh god ... how much is he looking for them ? they'd better be expensive, to provide a suitable dis-inducement ...

I'm on my way in. Can ask him if you like? *evil laugh*

• Advertisement

sineadw wrote: »
    So did you win?

Heh no not yet- there's another 2 days to go yet. Yeah I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

sineadw wrote: »
    I'm on my way in. Can ask him if you like? *evil laugh*

I'd be interested to know too... purely for "academic purposes" you understand.... Berminghams have a Bronica job lot of a Bronica ETRSi, 75mm f/2.8 MC, 120 Back, Prism finder, Bronica ETR, 150mm f/3.5 MC, 120 Back, Waist level finder, Spare 220 Back, Spare 120 Back and a Spare Polaroid Back for 599, which is quite tempting, and Conns have an ETRSi with 75mm lens, Finder, Speed Grip and 120 back for 399, or a Mamiya Rz67 Outfit (though they don't say what's included) for 799

@TinyExplosions -

If you want to buy an ETRSi I have one that is near mint and doesn't get much use that I could offer you at a good price. 75mm F2.8 lens, WLF and 120 back... almost the same as the Conns deal but without the grip, which you could buy on eBay and still have a few €€€ in your arse pocket with my deal.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    @TinyExplosions -

If you want to buy an ETRSi I have one that is near mint and doesn't get much use that I could offer you at a good price. 75mm F2.8 lens, WLF and 120 back... almost the same as the Conns deal but without the grip, which you could buy on eBay and still have a few €€€ in your arse pocket with my deal.

Cheers for that, but it'll be a few weeks before I get everything in order, and I'm still veering more towards going the 6x6 route rather than 645, but if I do decide to go for an ETRSi, I'll drop you a PM to see if it's still available!

No worries! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Great! another thing to go on my list of stuff that i want!:mad:

so sorry I looked in this thread.

• Advertisement

Then you begin to crave larger formats, and move on to a 4x5...

Too true... my RODENSTOCK SIRONAR 150mm arrived last Friday... started figuring out how to load/unload darkslides as I lay in the bed watching Match of the Day 2 last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I hate being the "I don't get it" guy, but I don't get the appeal of the 6x7 format. It's marginally larger than 6x6 but because of its asymmetric aspect ratio you lose out on a lot of the advantages of 6x6: lens efficiency, orientation agnosticism, film efficiency, size & weight, etc.; for a slight gain in negative size on one axis. Even if you like the aspect ratio, you can always crop a 6x6 frame down to a 6:7 aspect ratio and lose very little negative, even compared to a full 6x7 negative. I understand the appeal of 6x6 over 6x4.5 and the appeal of 6x9 over 6x6, but I just don't get 6x7.

I don't doubt that there are very many good camera systems built around 6x7 and I guess using it makes sense if you primarily want to print 8x10s and are prepared to sacrifice the flexibility of 6x6 to do it without cropping or are wedded to printing up to the rebate.

Then again, with people like Todd Hido using 6x7 it can't be all that bad; it's all about the camera, right? Right?

charybdis wrote: »
    I hate being the "I don't get it" guy, but I don't get the appeal of the 6x7 format. It's marginally larger than 6x6 but because of its asymmetric aspect ratio you lose out on a lot of the advantages of 6x6: lens efficiency, orientation agnosticism, film efficiency, size & weight, etc.; for a slight gain in negative size on one axis. Even if you like the aspect ratio, you can always crop a 6x6 frame down to a 6:7 aspect ratio and lose very little negative, even compared to a full 6x7 negative. I understand the appeal of 6x6 over 6x4.5 and the appeal of 6x9 over 6x6, but I just don't get 6x7.

I don't doubt that there are very many good camera systems built around 6x7 and I guess using it makes sense if you primarily want to print 8x10s and are prepared to sacrifice the flexibility of 6x6 to do it without cropping or are wedded to printing up to the rebate.

I think it's just that, you get to print 8x10 without cropping (or at least with minimal cropping). I find it doing it a lot to certain types of 6x6 shots, cropping them to 8x10 aspect ratio.

But yeah, probably the best known 6x7 SLRs, the mamiya ones, are just overwhelmingly huge compared to the bronica SQa or hassleblad. OTOH a lot of that is down to the rotating back, which negates some of the hassle of shooting rectangularly in MF, and the RB can shoot up to 6x8 with the right back. Plus as systems in their own right they're very versatile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

I know I got one of these last week.

Can't wait to see the results!

Halina-Prefect.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This Sineadw's one that I'm using. By using I'm mean making a balls of. One roll disaster so have 2nd one going through it now...what to point it at though?
    6F3B0F6A4A22478D8C1901C6FF1548A5-500.jpg
    I did find it handy for using the viewfinder to do macro shots with Slidinginfinity's Macro lens to get this little lovely...

Macro with a twist og TLR...
    6C3BC966BAE8401F9D196DF4CCD5BCBC-500.jpg

KH I'm really interested to see the results you get. I like portraits done with them and have been loving your portraits over the last year. Could well be the camera for you sir.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You can even make them look like people. This looks like Fajitas! sporting a monocle...
    76850C714D324CE895169E28A39ABF50-0000321256-0001861565-00500L-56A86D28840E400D974EA68F896628C9.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dunno how much the bodies are, but i think the lenses are about €250 and up, each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

oh noes ! A yashica 24, that has to be twice as good as a yashica 12 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

oh noes ! A yashica 24, that has to be twice as good as a yashica 12 :D

I think it refers to the 24 shot capacity when using 220 film which is back paper less.

joolsveer wrote: »
    I think it refers to the 24 shot capacity when using 220 film which is back paper less.

Ah yeah, I see it's actually 220 only ? That's not good. Which actually probably explains why the 124 is called the 124, because it can take 120 (12) and 220 (24). Sure don't you learn something new every day :)

Woo Hoo - I won the camera for the fine sum of €48. I almost went to bed outbid, thank goodness for email alerts on your phone!

Woo Hoo - I won the camera for the fine sum of €48. I almost went to bed outbid, thank goodness for email alerts on your phone!

Pet Hate - Getting outbid with 3 seconds to go.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Pet Hate - Getting outbid with 3 seconds to go.

Hah indeed. I had turned off the computer and was heading back to bed when I decided to check my phone. Email alert from eBay that I had been outbid................ Noooooooooooo. So turned the computer back on and increased the maximum bid. Woke up this morning having won the auction. Woo Hoo.

I am now well on the road to Super Elitism! :)

I am now well on the road to Super Elitism! :)

I think it's 'wannabe elitism' actually. Although I'm not too sure how one can actually be a 'wannebe' elitist. I guess if an elitist is someone who thinks they're better than anyone else, then a wannabe elititist is someone who WANTS to think that they're better than everyone else but can't. An aspirational elitist if you will, or maybe an elitist with an inferiority complex. I don't know. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement