Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Yes Yes...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think it's 'wannabe elitism' actually. Although I'm not too sure how one can actually be a 'wannebe' elitist. I guess if an elitist is someone who thinks they're better than anyone else, then a wannabe elititist is someone who WANTS to think that they're better than everyone else but can't. An aspirational elitist if you will, or maybe an elitist with an inferiority complex. I don't know. :(

Too early Daire, too early. I still have a few hours to wake up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Just wondering -

Many of us, at some stage in our life, might have shot a roll of 35mm through one of those disposables that were trendy back in the day. Would these same people qualify for "FES" (The Film Elitist Squad") membership?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Just wondering -

Many of us, at some stage in our life, might have shot a roll of 35mm through one of those disposables that were trendy back in the day. Would these same people qualify for "FES" (The Film Elitist Squad") membership?

Pfft 110mm disposeable cameras is where it was at! I remember them being very popular back in the mid 80s. Terrible photo quality though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Just wondering -

Entry level. It's like scientology, or free masonry. From outside the FES all those digerati can see is a solid block of sneery snobby film users. However once you START shooting film and nestle your way snugly into what you think is your fluffy new home, you'll discover rank upon rank of EVEN MORE elitist people ! Obviously KH here, I hold him in complete contempt because he's only shooting medium format. Pffawww ! Loser ! Whereas of course now that he's in the 120 club he can look down on all the piddling 35mm users, but he can ALSO look down on the Holga and Diana shooters because they're LOMO freaks and un worthy of serious consideration.

You get the idea. It's complicated.

All this talk of FES... I need to Thank some crappy film photos fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I just posted one in the random thread :pac:

I just posted one in the random thread pacman.gif

If I said something like: "I don't like the way you cut off the top of the little bottle in the top right" would I be expelled from the FES for saying something negative about a film photo?

If I said something like: "I don't like the way you cut off the top of the little bottle in the top right" would I be expelled from the FES for saying something negative about a film photo?

In the spirit of the thing, you'd be better ranting about the impossible project and hipsters who are paying over the odds for unstable film materials just so they can look cool when they cycle their fixies up to urban outfitters. Throw in some anti LOMO jibes and you're away. Or indeed some PRO-LOMO jibes, and imply that the impossible project is just a callous money making scheme that compromises the original essence of the liberating lomographic movement. Dissension in the ranks ! And sure aren't we all just using the hipstamatic app for our iPhones now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

In the spirit of the thing, you'd be better ranting about the impossible project and hipsters who are paying over the odds for unstable film materials just so they can look cool when they cycle their fixies up to urban outfitters. Throw in some anti LOMO jibes and you're away. Or indeed some PRO-LOMO jibes, and imply that the impossible project is just a callous money making scheme that compromises the original essence of the liberating lomographic movement. Dissension in the ranks ! And sure aren't we all just using the hipstamatic app for our iPhones now anyway.

Daire,
    I think I need your advice as I'm in danger of potentially falling behind in this... I'm an ex-courier who still cycles a fixie, and shout both with a Holga as well as a Yashica (and some digital)... am I one of those 'hipsters', or am I ok? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Daire,
    I think I need your advice as I'm in danger of potentially falling behind in this... I'm an ex-courier who still cycles a fixie, and shout both with a Holga as well as a Yashica (and some digital)... am I one of those 'hipsters', or am I ok? :)

Daire does a 24/7 counseling service, you might be in need of it.

Daire,

:eek:

The Yashica arrived yesterday and I'm quite happy. It's not in as good a condition as the seller seemed to indicate but it's not bad so I can't really complain. I popped into Gunns and The Camera Exchange today and picked up some film, B*W and colour. At just 12 exposures per roll I'll be a little conservative.

It looks like it'll be great fun and everyone who has seen it so far the camera has put a big smile on their face. I can't wait to get a roll done and developed to see how/if they've turned out. The battery for the light meter is a slight issue so I'll have to source one of those online I think.

All in all well worth the €60 or so it cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

This is mine that my grandad recently gave to me.

4968084824_0508c022c5_b.jpg

4968090516_ac8a2ec127_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

*cues up in line to have a go at the Yashica*
    I'll swap it for the Mercury for a while, what ya reckon...?

Then wonders - Will the FES kick me out for flinging around my Diana Friend... with accessories :eek:... no no, I do make up by having different camera's which I don't understand... yeah... it's fine... I think... Don't hate me

{rocks back and forth in a dark corner)

I don't mind at all. That Mercury is a mad looking thing! I'll get a few rolls shot and then it's all yours.

• Advertisement

0B72D2F027774CD5B430F64B889FEA81-0000333844-0001939150-00800L-9364E8E76CA64C72ACF79E9FAB70D596.jpg

E4E33920EC2A4DB78147403E8CC2AB9B-0000333844-0001939151-00800L-4FFB39E0C636401FA2B18539DDF499E6.jpg

97C686A9DD3641A3B1BBE5240D644D52-0000333844-0001939152-00800L-CA4E9F84CC894F10BC6D0C8076F346F5.jpg

These are from the first roll I shot with the Yashica. I really like the vintage effect, the last photo is straight off of the camera with zero processing. It's great fun, the only downside being 12 shots per roll of film and the expensive development. Still well worth it though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hey KH I recognise the dust in those pics. Gunn's?

Love the colour in the last one. Very nice shots.

humberklog wrote: »
    Hey KH I recognise the dust in those pics. Gunn's?

Love the colour in the last one. Very nice shots.

Eh no HK........ yeah I love the colours from it. Can't wait to get out and shoot some more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

5062279241_9a92c78cd7_z.jpg

5062888310_fabe4b06bb_z.jpg

65855_10150090577489307_788814306_7131951_7883821_n.jpg

65855_10150090577499307_788814306_7131953_8068498_n.jpg

Not the best scans really, but I'm very happy with my roll. Am loving the double exposures.

C&C welcome!

Advertisement