Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GnR gig cancellation untrue? Yes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Metallica have played here - in Marlay Park in both '08 & '09, so I think we're due a break from them??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Metallica have played here - in Marlay Park in both '08 & '09, so I think we're due a break from them??

OK, before this starts up again, Metallica are not playing in Ireland this year...in fact, we might not see Metallica in this country until 2012 and beyond....2011 looks to be reserved for about 10 shows to celebrate the 30th Anniversary in various corners of the globe

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Harsh. He is a good performer, whether he turns up on time or on the clock, and he can still perform alongside the best of them.

He was pretty awful at the Sweden Rock festival in June. Constant breaks, every few songs, voice awful, coupled with bass, guitar (X3), drum, keyboard, and piano solos as filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay, I've edited the thread title so people won't be coming back to this thread thinking the gig is still cancelled. Hopefully Axl has learnt that his Twitter password shouldn't be something like "ihateslash" :).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭DementoR

Kess73 wrote: »
    He was pretty awful at the Sweden Rock festival in June. Constant breaks, every few songs, voice awful, coupled with bass, guitar (X3), drum, keyboard, and piano solos as filler.

Saw GnR in Hamilton Canada in January,they played nearly a 3 hour setlist non stop,was an excellent gig,Axl was full of energy and sounded great!

Heres the songs they played

1 Chinese Democracy
    2 Welcome To The Jungle
    3 It's So Easy
    4 Mr. Brownstone
    5 Sorry
    6 Better
    Richard Fortus Guitar Solo/James Bond Theme Play Video
    7 Live And Let Die
    8 If the World
    9 Shackler's Revenge
    Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
    10 Street Of Dreams
    Instrumental Jam
    11 There Was A Time
    12 Rocket Queen
    13 You Could Be Mine
    DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
    14 Sweet Child O' Mine
    Instrumental Jam/Another Brick In The Wall
    Axl Rose Piano Solo/Someone Saved My Life Tonight
    15 November Rain
    Instrumental Jam
    Bumblefoot Guitar Solo
    16 Scraped
    17 Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    18 Nightrain
    Encore:
    19 Madagascar
    20 This I Love
    21 Paradise City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

DementoR wrote: »
    Saw GnR in Hamilton Canada in January,they played nearly a 3 hour setlist non stop,was an excellent gig,Axl was full of energy and sounded great!

Heres the songs they played

1 Chinese Democracy
    2 Welcome To The Jungle
    3 It's So Easy
    4 Mr. Brownstone
    5 Sorry
    6 Better
    Richard Fortus Guitar Solo/James Bond Theme Play Video
    7 Live And Let Die
    8 If the World
    9 Shackler's Revenge
    Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
    10 Street Of Dreams
    Instrumental Jam
    11 There Was A Time
    12 Rocket Queen
    13 You Could Be Mine
    DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
    14 Sweet Child O' Mine
    Instrumental Jam/Another Brick In The Wall
    Axl Rose Piano Solo/Someone Saved My Life Tonight
    15 November Rain
    Instrumental Jam
    Bumblefoot Guitar Solo
    16 Scraped
    17 Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    18 Nightrain
    Encore:
    19 Madagascar
    20 This I Love
    21 Paradise City

Was not at that, so can only comment on the one I was at. The one where he only surfaced onstage for the first time well after midnight. The same one where Axl's voice had effects mixed with it for the entire show.

Pretty much the same set list as that show in Canada though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was not at that, so can only comment on the one I was at. The one where he only surfaced onstage for the first time well after midnight. The same one where Axl's voice had effects mixed with it for the entire show.

To be honest, I find a lot of the comments made negatively about him seem to come from the same direction - so it's always that he's late, or that his voice doesn't sound what you imagine it to be or what it could be (and if you didn't see the band in 1993 or earlier - and Axl had his own problems then as well - perhaps most have this nostalgic idea of how he should sound and are comparing it to these ideals)

I think that there is a lot of positive in seeing him perform, and I don't think that there are a lot of performers of his background and generation up to his standard. As a Motley Crue fan I admit Vince Neil is an appalling live vocalist, Stephen Pearcy sounds good on CD but can't hold a note live and if Jani Lane could keep himself out of jail then he might be able to focus more time on his voice and less on his DUI offences

People can correct me, and I'm sure they will, but a lot of people tend to put Axl Rose on par with Bruce Springsteen - in terms of popularity and legend, as opposed to vocal ability

I think the reason people will come and see Axl is simple - his stage presence is like very few other shows (possibly Motley Crue, in terms of stage presence and energy) out there today - and they will see GNR because he has assembled a cast of very talented musicians who really know their craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

If I get to hear a good live performance of You Could be Mine I will die happy :D Just realised I go back to work on Sept 1st this year. This concert will make it a lot easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

OK, before this starts up again, Metallica are not playing in Ireland this year...in fact, we might not see Metallica in this country until 2012 and beyond....2011 looks to be reserved for about 10 shows to celebrate the 30th Anniversary in various corners of the globe

I agree.

Advertisement