Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun licence for .223

Options
  • 15-08-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

quick question, on the application it asks what is reason for this callibre of rifle, can you put down shooting foxs because i was told by a friend you cant as it is not a sport, is this crap or what do you put down? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

gunning84 wrote: »
    quick question, on the application it asks what is reason for this callibre of rifle, can you put down shooting foxs because i was told by a friend you cant as it is not a sport, is this crap or what do you put down? thanks

Vermin control (shooting foxes is covered by this)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gunning84

thanks that clears that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

..........what do you put down?.....

The truth !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The truth !

Sure if we all did that then there would fewer licenses isued :o

clivej wrote: »
    Sure if we all did that then there would fewer licenses isued :o

No offence to O/P, CliveJ or even foxshooter243, even if they are all deluded :P ....................... BUT .........................

Like fewer pistols maybe ............... how many lads got pistols for target shooting and never went to a range or entered a competition? and how many of them now have pistols? and those who told the truth and were using their pistols are suffering for those lies :mad:

Pistols today..............your stuff tomorrow :eek:

EVERY firearm I have I USE REGULARLY.

I use it for the reason I claimed on my Firearms Certificate application forms too.

So as I said ............. tell the truth:)

Anyone asking here what reason to put on a firearms application form should not be entertained IMO ! If they don't know why they want it do they actually need it?

Rant over :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Here in not-so-merrie England, with county Chief Constables are often as, ahem, inventive about the interpretation of Firearms legislation as your Garda Superintendents, they can often require the gun-owner actually logs the use of his firearm in a register that MAY be checked out by FEO paying a 'surprise' visit to the home - and yes, such spot-checks of ALL your guns and ammunition holdings are legal here in UK.

In the county I live in, and in which my Firearms Certificate [I only have one, it lasts for six years, and it is for ALL my guns and ammunition] is issued, such a PITA procedure is not required, but my gun club is in another county, and the club members who actually live in that county ARE required to log the use of each and every gun they possess in order to justify the possession. At the end of each shooting session, in addition to the usual register keeping and cross-referencing to the day-book, I and any other RCO have to sign a good few little books.

Use it - or lose it.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

No offence to O/P, CliveJ or even foxshooter243, even if they are all deluded :P ....................... BUT .........................

Anyone asking here what reason to put on a firearms application form should not be entertained IMO ! If they don't know why they want it do they actually need it?

While agreeing 100% with Bunny, in fairness to the OP he seems to know what he wants the .223 for, but has been misinformed by a friend regarding good reason on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Lets put it like this.Until the PTB start telling the truth and start playing on a level pitch with us individually and collectivly.Why should we play by the rules either?And thats not just in the shooting world of Ireland either .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Lets put it like this.Until the PTB start telling the truth and start playing on a level pitch with us individually and collectivly.Why should we play by the rules either?
    Because of all the things bunny said and more. It's a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Cue rant by Grizzly in 5, 4, 3... :D

:D:D
    Lets just put it this way.From my own "personal experiance" of this over the last few months, and being honest about this didnt do me many favours on re application.It actually cost me alot,and people close to me..
    Even to it being "suggested" to me by people in the PTB dealing with these matters that I was "too honest" in my re applications.Unfortunatly they were proven very right.:(.Lesson learned...Never again. But thats just me and my personal opinion.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

:D:D
    Lets just put it this way.From my own "personal experiance" of this over the last few months, and being honest about this didnt do me many favours on re application.It actually cost me alot,and people close to me..
    Even to it being "suggested" to me by people in the PTB dealing with these matters that I was "too honest" in my re applications.Unfortunatly they were proven very right.:(.Lesson learned...Never again. But thats just me and my personal opinion.:D
    Being honest and meeting the criteria is not the same as being honest and not meeting criteria. Different outcomes y'see ;)

Trouble is I met the offical citeria and was honest,but not the unoffical citeria like about 200 other handgunowners which governs this country on lots of things.Not everything in this life is black&white you see..;)

Trouble is I met the offical citeria and was honest,but not the unoffical citeria
    What? You mean the one that says; "so long as it's not Grizzly45" :D

Unofficially of course... :p

i know exactly why i want the .223, i wouldnt have bought it if i didnt, all i wanted to know is if what i heard was right how could i put it down just to be told it was the wrong wording, im not looking to lie bout it just want to find out the right way of going about it.

rrpc wrote: »
    What? You mean the one that says; "so long as it's not Grizzly45" :D

Unofficially of course... :p

Somthing like that!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

i know exactly why i want the .223, i wouldnt have bought it if i didnt, all i wanted to know is if what i heard was right how could i put it down just to be told it was the wrong wording, im not looking to lie bout it just want to find out the right way of going about it.

Vermin control. It is an umbrella group of shooting and covers you for a .223

I note your in Tipperary I hope your Super isn't in Cahir ;)

If you want it for shooting foxes that's what you should put down, it's really that simple.

thanks for the info lads much thanks,and no my super is templemore so will have to wait and see:)

thanks for the info lads much thanks,and no my super is templemore so will have to wait and see:)

Best of luck and I hope you get sorted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

to be honest the op knows why he wants a 223, what he asked was what would he put on the form for shooting foxes, and the answer has tick th box for vermin, it was a simple question with a simple answer

• Advertisement

jap gt wrote: »
    to be honest the op knows why he wants a 223, what he asked was what would he put on the form for shooting foxes, and the answer has tick th box for vermin, it was a simple question with a simple answer

Just for you so
    ............ he asked was what would he put on the form for shooting foxes ..........

"shooting foxes" the answer is in the question or as I suggested "The truth" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I put both foxes and vermin on mine as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Just for you so

"shooting foxes" the answer is in the question or as I suggested "The truth" :P

i know what you mean, but i was in the same position last year, and could well have come on here and asked was it ok to put 'shooting foxes' on the form or 'vermin' most people wont be familar with the form and its best double check than risk getting turned down

i know what you mean, but i was in the same position last year, and could well have come on here and asked was it ok to put 'shooting foxes' on the form or 'vermin' most people wont be familar with the form and its best double check than risk getting turned down

Being pedantic, which is unusal for me :P, vermin, is/could be a bit vague, and the Super might wonder why you'd need a .223, whereas if you say fox shooting, or as JG says put both, with the fox being the largest predator we have and a .223 being considered more humane to use to shoot 'em it makes a stronger case on the application.

So the short answer would be put down "fox shooting" :D

Being pedantic, which is unusal for me :P, vermin, is/could be a bit vague, and the Super might wonder why you'd need a .223, whereas if you say fox shooting, or as JG says put both, with the fox being the largest predator we have and a .223 being considered more humane to use to shoot 'em it makes a stronger case on the application.

So the short answer would be put down "fox shooting" :D

I put both down because some fella could be cute with me in the future and start arguing that, well, foxes aren't vermin. I also like shooting the odd rabbit (see how I didn't say Bunny there :p ) with the .223 and have been told, rightly and for Ireland pedantically I guess, that I am granted my gun license FOR the purposes I state on the application form. So, I thought it best to cover my own arse and put down specifically fox, which is it's main quarry, and vermin which is, eh, a little more flexible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

i'm in the templemore district too, and i just got my .223 yesterday. the super is tricky enough so when you go in to talk to him make sure you've got all your facts straight and are able to show you have a good understanding of the calibre's capabilities because i think he doesn't really like .223's.
    i also asked for a silencer but my licence didnt come with an s on it so i've got to go in tonight and see what the story is. i hope it was a mistake because i zeroed the rifle today and the noise terrified the sh*te out of the father's horse which was in a field 200 yards away

That could well be an error on your license. Neither of mine had the S on them, but my local Garda checked my cert numbers on Pulse and told me one was cleared for a mod (the .223). The HMR was more difficult in that they got the serial number but that's sorted now with the S as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

johngalway wrote: »
    That could well be an error on your license. Neither of mine had the S on them, but my local Garda checked my cert numbers on Pulse and told me one was cleared for a mod (the .223). The HMR was more difficult in that they got the serial number but that's sorted now with the S as well :)

i went in earlier today but the FO wasn't on duty. the gard behind the desk looked up my licence and he said that the accessories segment had nothing in it, which means i'm not even supposed to have a scope on it either.
    i've already put a leupold mk4 tactical on it, so does that mean i'm breaking the law

declan1980 wrote: »
    i went in earlier today but the FO wasn't on duty. the gard behind the desk looked up my licence and he said that the accessories segment had nothing in it, which means i'm not even supposed to have a scope on it either.
    i've already put a leupold mk4 tactical on it, so does that mean i'm breaking the law

No, you're not. What the "sights" bit on the application form referred to are Night Vision sights and the like. Telescopic sights are just dandy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Such a load of conney. I heard that one before. I was in one day and asked to speak to FO or super about licence. Show me he says. That evening a phone call that it was wrong. Next time he asked show me, i said no thanks politely. My fo and super are sound but i think your normal gaurd is only goin on what he thinks.

Advertisement