Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Fish Tank...

Options
  • 15-08-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

I bought a new Fish tank just over a week ago. It was a display model in a shop and got it at what I thought was a great price..

I've had the tank setup, filled with water etc etc. Came home on Thursday and found that the glass on the thank had a decent curve on it from the pressure from the water and a structural brace on the tank had come loose due to this. I have since emptied the tank (didn't fancy having 300+ltrs of water on me floors!)

I've been back to the shop where they offered me my money back, no hassle at all from them which I thought was odd...

Was around at another shop today where I get all my bits from and was telling them about the tank, they had said that the tank I had was recalled and that they shouldn't have been selling it. Now I'm trying to find info on this online but have found nothing yet...

The one thing that has annoyed me is that I've lost quite a bit of money as I had bought gravel, plants, stones, backrounds, filters etc. Some of which I had to bin. I could safely say that I spent an extra €200+ in the last week setting the tank up that I had to bin as a result of the fault...

Am I entitled to claim any of that back from the shop that sold me the tank? I didn't buy any of the extra's from them, they where bought from various other shops...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

A gesture of goodwill is about all you could expect I think from the shop. Though you could report them I guess (but would likely lose any goodwill).

My advice is to attempt to secure a goodwill gesture (e.g. a voucher), use it on something that is unlikely to break, and then report them!

Edit: BTW Op why are you only raising this with them now? Whether they should have been selling it or not, you were still in the same boat before you knew that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

tommy21 wrote: »
    Edit: BTW Op why are you only raising this with them now? Whether they should have been selling it or not, you were still in the same boat before you knew that?

I'm not quite sure what you mean... I haven't brought the tank back to them yet, had to wait to get a hand getting it into my van.. Bringing it back tomorrow when the manager will be in (doesn't work weekends)

I get the feeling that they knew the tank was dodgy, they where looking for €1040 for it and I got it for €600, when I went in to tell them what happened he just said do you want it replaced or your money back... Didn't ask any questions to see if I had damaged the tank myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Bring the tank back and tell them the story . If you have issues with a refund tell them to fill the tank themselves to see the issue . you should getyour money back

Since they offered you the money back , take it and shop somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

unklerosco wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what you mean... I haven't brought the tank back to them yet, had to wait to get a hand getting it into my van.. Bringing it back tomorrow when the manager will be in (doesn't work weekends)

I get the feeling that they knew the tank was dodgy, they where looking for €1040 for it and I got it for €600, when I went in to tell them what happened he just said do you want it replaced or your money back... Didn't ask any questions to see if I had damaged the tank myself...

My bad, misread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

unklerosco wrote: »

You should ask them for a similar deal on an equally expensive tank of a different make. It might be better than getting a €600 refund in the long-run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Why would you throw out gravel and other things you had bought for the tank? Surely most of that stuff can be put to use in another tank of similar size?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The gravel was laid out in various layers with fertilisers etc. This was ruined upon removing it from the tank, I've a few of the plants in buckets but am not sure if they'll last and the background broke when I tried to remove it.. Obviously rocks, wood etc are fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

i cant see them replacing or funding your gravel, wood, background (broken by you). but you never know, see if they can do deal for you considering all the issues caused by the faulty tank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You should ask them for a similar deal on an equally expensive tank of a different make. It might be better than getting a €600 refund in the long-run.

Tbh, I'd be a bit wary of asking for another deal. If they knowingly sold you a product that was being recalled, I wouldn't trust them as far as I'd throw them.

Take the refund - your're not going to get anything more from them. No harm in trying though.

Advertisement