Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shay Given Could be off to Arsenal according to twitter....

• 15-08-2010 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

According to Warren Barton.

Shay and Warren are good friends after playing together for years at Newcastle and Warren claims that Given has told him that he's signing for Arsenal and that it's a 'done deal'.

He's certainly a decent source given their close relationship.

http://twitter.com/bpfootball

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Damn you getting my hopes up :P ill only believe it when i see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

According to Warren Barton.

Shay and Warren are good friends after playing together for years at Newcastle and Warren claims that Given has told him that he's signing for Arsenal and that it's a 'done deal'.

He's certainly a decent source given their close relationship.

http://twitter.com/bpfootball

Do you write for them by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Kev is bordering on celebrity status at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Strange they won't let Bellamy go to a rival but will let Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It sounds about right tbh, were Arsenal not after him years ago? he should have went then, he was wasted at Newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Whats the shít link all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

This would make my day if he did sign for da gooners.

Another very shaky performance again today at anfield by Manuel!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This is crazy at this stage.

People were saying Barton had just let slip on live US tv that Given was off to Arsenal, considering he's such a close friend from playing with him at Newcastle I said hey, I'll tweet it out and see what happens. Surely there must be something in it considering they must be good friends and Barton may be in the know.

And that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Only solid thing to know now is that why on Earth would any player want to stay at City nwo after the state of the way the treat their players! No respect, no morals and no limits to their ability to keep doing it once greedy players want to join and keep the benches warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    This is crazy at this stage.

People were saying Barton had just let slip on live US tv that Given was off to Arsenal, considering he's such a close friend from playing with him at Newcastle I said hey, I'll tweet it out and see what happens. Surely there must be something in it considering they must be good friends and Barton may be in the know.

And that's that.

barton is probably talking logically....given wants to move, arsenal looking for a new number 1. I think they have basically signed the aussie at this stage.
    I cant see city letting given go to arsenal to be honest. I bet it will be celtic myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

tred wrote: »
    barton is probably talking logically....given wants to move, arsenal looking for a new number 1. I think they have basically signed the aussie at this stage.
    I cant see city letting given go to arsenal to be honest. I bet it will be celtic myself

If thats the case Givens career is basically over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

If thats the case its either Celtic or back to sparky at Fulham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Colm_purchase

Fracture wrote: »
    If thats the case Givens career is basically over.

Im not a Celtic fan but that is simply a silly comment. Whatever about an outfield player the same doesn't apply to a goalkeeper. The job is basically the same whatever league you play in. Mind you he would be less busy at Celtic than Citeh.
    Personally i would like 10m for Milner plus Given, Bellamy and Ireland going in the opposite direction.
    But I guess Celtic have a better chance of winning the title than Villa and at 34 Shay might appreciate a medal.
    By the way I doubt he will end up at Celtic. Maybe in a few years but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Celtic??! Surely not. Given is too good for that rubbish, and from an Ireland perspective I'd much rather he was playing in the prem league. Arsenal would be a great move for him if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Im not a Celtic fan but that is simply a silly comment. Whatever about an outfield player the same doesn't apply to a goalkeeper. The job is basically the same whatever league you play in. Mind you he would be less busy at Celtic than Citeh.
    Personally i would like 10m for Milner plus Given, Bellamy and Ireland going in the opposite direction.
    But I guess Celtic have a better chance of winning the title than Villa and at 34 Shay might appreciate a medal.
    By the way I doubt he will end up at Celtic. Maybe in a few years but not now.

But you have Friedel? How old is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

shay is WAY too good to be playing for Celtic.

I hope he goes to Arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

MrStuffins wrote: »
    shay is WAY too good to be playing for Celtic.

I hope he goes to Arsenal!

Would make us more popular amongst the Irish media :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

There is nothing I'd hate more than seeing Given play for Celtic.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    But you have Friedel? How old is he?

38 or 39. Great keeper but past his very best. Probably still a top 10 premier league keeper but shay is top 5. Joe Hart top 15;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Only solid thing to know now is that why on Earth would any player want to stay at City nwo after the state of the way the treat their players! No respect, no morals and no limits to their ability to keep doing it once greedy players want to join and keep the benches warm.

can you tell me how they have mistreated their players?

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    can you tell me how they have mistreated their players?

Ever heard of a chap called richard dunne:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Celtic could be a possibility. Given goes to a good few games at Celtic Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ever heard of a chap called richard dunne:confused:

Or even Craig Bellamy, who has done nothing wrong, has played well when selected and now finds himself pushed towards the exit to accomodate a couple of more sexy signings (a.k.a overpaid mercenaries).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Or even Craig Bellamy, who has done nothing wrong, has played well when selected and now finds himself pushed towards the exit to accomodate a couple of more sexy signings (a.k.a overpaid mercenaries).

Surely YaYa Toure isn't being overpaid :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

A seperate matter but I'd echo the sentiments above; if you look at some of the players City left out of their squad, nevermind team I can see major conflicts on the way. It's like a kid putting the infinity money cheat into Football Manager!

As for Given; I think he's slightly overrated in some quarters but he would be a massive improvement on what Arsenal have - overall it'd be a good move for both parties imo.

aidan24326 wrote: »

Funny that you got me thinking why the hell would they get rid of Ireland. He completely fits the profile of players they wish to have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City could very easily not sell Given and have the best goalkeeping double act in the league.

All that's happened is Given has been told he won't be number 1. It's not treating a player badly to tell him that he has lost his place and I don't see much concern for the likes of Wayne Bridge who are in the exact same situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Xavi6 wrote: »
    City could very easily not sell Given and have the best goalkeeping double act in the league.

All that's happened is Given has been told he won't be number 1. It's not treating a player badly to tell him that he has lost his place and I don't see much concern for the likes of Wayne Bridge who are in the exact same situation.

I wouldn't say it's treating them badly but did Bridge and Given [plus how many others] sign knowing they'd be squad players? Plus it's a lot worse for a keeper than an outfield player to be a squad player. You can conceiveably appear 20+ times as an outfield squad player during a season whereas it'd be extremely uncommon for a reserve keeper to notch up that many apps.

I don't Given will be happy playing second fiddle wither tbh. Or Bridge et al for that matter. Mancini has a huge task on his hands to manage that squad imo; they're all top international players who are used to playing week in week out.

If Shay wants to go he will go and dont doubt that. Given was Citeh's best player bar none last season and dropping him was a huge mistake.
    Given will be at Arsenal, Villa or a top Spanish team in 7 days time and I would put any money on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Thread title should be changed. For a few seconds there I actually thought Arsenal had signed a keeper. I should have known better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Its alot different for a goalkeeper not to be number 1 than for an outfield player. With outfield players, there are usually a couple of positions they could come into. They can get substitute appearances too, and the liklihood of injury to the player in their position (Thus giving them a chance to stake their claim) is increased. If you are an out of favour Goalkeeper, you may not get a game all season.

BTW, I think Hart is an outstanding keeper, and I think picking him is the right thing to do given his age. I would hate if Shay was just a bench warmer though. He's much too good for that and would be bad for Ireland. Be great to see him go to Arsenal. Better club than City, in that they are stable etc too, so I hope he goes.

If Shay wants to go he will go and dont doubt that. Given was Citeh's best player bar none last season and dropping him was a huge mistake.
    Given will be at Arsenal, Villa or a top Spanish team in 7 days time and I would put any money on that.

Carlos Tevez and Nigel De Jong say hello.

Hello!
    Petulant brat and hi di hi boot!
    Your a citeh fan?
    You cant accept given was you best player last season?
    Well says it all!
    Chap deserves to be elsewhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

They then would run the risk of losing him for free next season,the same with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Or in Tevez's case 'Very Difficult'

• Advertisement

Hello!
    Your a citeh fan?
    Well says it all!

Correct me if I'm wrong but Given didn't win the club's Player of the Year award last season.

He didn't win the Players' Player of the Year award either so it looks like I'm in good company in thinking he wasn't.

Dub13 wrote: »
    They then would run the risk of losing him for free next season,the same with Ireland.

Ireland's contract doesn't expire until 2012 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Hello!
    Your a citeh fan?
    Well says it all!

Oh yeah cause that effects their football.
    I know this brat Cristiano Ronaldo its a shame cause I reckon he could be good at football.
    What does kicking someone in the chest have to do with football ability?
    Also that was at the World Cup nothing to do with City.
    Maybe Xavi watched all of City's matches and thought they were better players?
    Who knows?
    Posting like this is crap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

See it when I believe it but would love for it to happen!
    Even 6-7 million is worth it. Given would have another 5 years at the top left in him imo.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Given didn't win the club's Player of the Year award last season.

He didn't win the Players' Player of the Year award either so it looks like I'm in good company in thinking he wasn't.

Well im not a complete anorak but I do remember your goal line being bombarded quite frequently by the opposition last season on MOTD
    You can keep your company and your Kompany for that matter. Shay Given a world class keeper and I reckon most supporters of a premier league team that post here would love to have him as their no 1.

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Maybe Xavi watched all of City's matches and thought they were better players?

Unfortunately I only managed to see 36 out of the 38 league games :o

Well im not a complete anorak but I do remember your goal line being bombarded quite frequently by the opposition last season on MOTD
    You can keep your company and your Kompany for that matter. Shay Given a world class keeper and I reckon most supporters of a premier league team that post here would love to have him as their no 1.

Hart looks like a savage good goalkeeper though in fairness to him, seen his interview after the game too he seems to be level headed and looks a smart bloke, good luck to him

So your opinion is based on a highlights reel basically.

Look, Given was exceptional at times last year (Chelsea at home and Brum away for example) but he also pretty ordinary at times, and cost us goals with his indecision on crosses.

He wasn't our best player but was top 5.

I don't remember anyone sayin that they wouldn't.

Hart looks like a savage good goalkeeper though in fairness to him, seen his interview after the game too he seems to be level headed and looks a smart bloke, good luck to him

Nothing against the guy at all and he has huge potential but I think serving his time under Shay would have done him no harm whatsoever. Shay would have also made every save Hart did yesterday.

Nothing against the guy at all and he has huge potential but I think serving his time under Shay would have done him no harm whatsoever. Shay would have also made every save Hart did yesterday.

Its only one game, there are a huge number of games to play, if given stays he should get a lot of opportunities, if he doesnt stay i feel mancini will rue his decision not to have started with given on saturday, because its possible for hart to get injured or have a dip in form at his age, though he seems to have self confidence oozing out of him

Its only one game, there are a huge number of games to play, if given stays he should get a lot of opportunities, if he doesnt stay i feel mancini will rue his decision not to have started with given on saturday, because its possible for hart to get injured or have a dip in form at his age, though he seems to have self confidence oozing out of him

But it's a catch 22 - Hart starts, Given goes; Given starts, Hart goes.

City knew that so went for the future over the present. It's harsh on Given most definitely but that's the way it goes.

So your opinion is based on a highlights reel basically.

Look, Given was exceptional at times last year (Chelsea at home and Brum away for example) but he also pretty ordinary at times, and cost us goals with his indecision on crosses.

He wasn't our best player but was top 5.

I don't remember anyone sayin that they wouldn't.

Xavi defending Mancini on this decision is just plain silly. If Hart is ever as good a keeper as Given he will be lucky. Right now he is now even in the same league and as the season roles on this will become more and more evident. If Man City have genuine title aspiration for 2010/11 Given needs to be number 1 and I think you know that if you are completely honest with yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Not in the same league?

Well they are in the same league and as of right now Hart is rated better than him by the people who matter, their bosses.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Not in the same league?

Well they are in the same league and as of right now Hart is rated better than him by the people who matter, their bosses.

If you want to be pedantic about it how many international caps have they both?
    Given will be the one laughing at the end of the season. Of that there is no doubt in my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

He needs to go to Arsenal and avoid Celtic at all costs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement