Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

general bike business........musing....rant...W.H.Y...

• 15-08-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭

...had to travel to The Pale today for work, and had the 2 x Enfants Terribles with me, so it was car all the way. And climate control - see, they're not all bad :D ......

...but as I gained Eastwards, I noticed a Lot of bikes out and about. Indeed, as I joined M50 North the M4 junction, there was a big run of Vespa's out, which was nice to see, as well.

Heading to Skerries, met rake's of sports, cruisers, adventure types etc etc...

...anyhoo, we, biker's obviously, if you forgive the pun, can out-do the Handbag fraternity when it comes to Retail Therapy. We love having new stuff. We love the act of buying it. And, naturally, most are rather more than the price of your average handbag. Even a Big Name handbagy......

So, you'd have thought they'd make it easy. Especially so when you consider this is a seasonal pastime, and that one should always make hay while the sun shines (sic). And I appreciate that time is precious, that people in retail have lives to live too.

But, my wife works in retail, and works 3 out of 4 Sundays. I work as an when required (sales, technical, construction - and that's why I travelled today: work, to meet a client). I note IKEA was open. And B & Q. All this because, these are the hours (evenings, week-ends), when people actually have time to go and Do, or Spend.

And so why not with bikes ?? When all those people are out on bikes, on a Sunday, and most just dying for a place to visit, wouldn't you think Sunday hours of some type would be a good idea ? Even if it is a spot of 'retail therapy' ?

And, as the big multiples already know, most cost's are fixed, and surely an extra day's trading - at certain times, maybe - would help ?

All this as, on the run home, I had cause to put my nose up against the window's for two fine m/c emporia, which were closed. And it being 26deg C outside, at the time........motorcycles are, after all, the ultimate Impulse buy.......get a guy sitting on one, and in his head, on a day like today.....he's already on Route 66, or the PCH........in his head, at any rate. All that needs doing then is, to quote Glengarry Glen Ross is........'always be closing )! ! That's why I worked this Sunday, anyhoo...

Or am I missing something here ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...but as I gained Eastwards, I noticed a Lot of bikes out and about.
    ...there was a big run of Vespa's out....

.. When all those people are out on bikes, on a Sunday, and most just dying for a place to visit, wouldn't you think Sunday hours of some type would be a good idea ? Even if it is a spot of 'retail therapy' ?

...And, as the big multiples already know, most cost's are fixed, and surely an extra day's trading - at certain times, maybe - would help ?...

...And it being 26deg C outside...

If I may be so bold as to point out that you perhaps may have answered your own question : Bikers are out biking on Sundays. Shops here generally are city based so that = traffic (even Sunday traffic), So it wouldn't strike me as the obvious day out trip.

Personally too, I don't see the need to open a bike shop on a Sunday - particularly because if it is to attract bikers, then the chances of selling high value accessories (exhausts, leathers, etc) are quite low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I've often wondered the same...in the UK bike shops open on sundays and tend to be good places for people to meet before/after a spin...and the better ones have coffee/tea served and a burger van too.....mmmmm greasy brekky roll....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

nereid wrote: »
    If I may be so bold as to point out that you perhaps may have answered your own question : Bikers are out biking on Sundays. Shops here generally are city based so that = traffic (even Sunday traffic), So it wouldn't strike me as the obvious day out trip.

Personally too, I don't see the need to open a bike shop on a Sunday - particularly because if it is to attract bikers, then the chances of selling high value accessories (exhausts, leathers, etc) are quite low.

I hear ya, but if, like the majority of people, they are busy doing the 9-5 on during the week, even on Saturday's for a lot of people, then, in an 'impulse' or pastime market, when would you expect them to call ?

Realistically, only the truly dedicated would, or could, take time off from work to go 'shopping'. So why not make it easy ? It doesn't even have to be every Sunday. Even 1 or 2 a month, for a couple of hours, and during riding season, might be useful.

I bought a car a few years ago specifically because it was a Sunday, and it was great. I had as much time as needed, as did Salesman, no mad phonecalls on Sundays to dealership's.........win-win.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

reminds me of a thread I read recently (don't think it was here - on another forum) but the gist of it was about bike shops not opening on Mondays - because they all open Saturdays. Anyhow - MegaBikes in Dublin City Centre opens mondays and the the reason given by the owner is that they do tons of business on a monday when all other shops are closed.

I agree with ya TT - 4 hours open on a Sunday would prob be well worth it for a lot of places. but then thinking outside of the box isn't a strong point for alot of business these days .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I agree, would be very handy if bike shops were open on Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's the chicken and egg problem.

My father works in a car sales garage and they tried a few Sunday openings. There where plenty of staff but no customers came in.

It could be the same issue for bike shops. They'd have to pay someone to be in on Sundays with very little sales till word gets around. I doubt many are making that money now that they could afford to pay someone extra to work Sunday.

Doesn't bother me anyway as I work shift and can shop weekdays.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

ifah wrote: »
    reminds me of a thread I read recently (don't think it was here - on another forum) but the gist of it was about bike shops not opening on Mondays - because they all open Saturdays. Anyhow - MegaBikes in Dublin City Centre opens mondays and the the reason given by the owner is that they do tons of business on a monday when all other shops are closed.

I'd like to see more bike shops open on Mondays.....because that happens to be my day off (yeah, I know, selfish to the end!). Thought I read somewhere that in parts of the UK, the bikeshops in an area organise themselves and stagger their day off - so one will close Monday, another Tuesday etc. Everyone gets their free day, and there's always a shop open for whoever needs it.

While the Sunday opening might sound like a great idea, I reckon it would end up with lads (and lasses!) looking for maintenance/repair in a hurry rather than buying a new pair of leathers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's the chicken and egg problem.

My father works in a car sales garage and they tried a few Sunday openings. There where plenty of staff but no customers came in.

It could be the same issue for bike shops. They'd have to pay someone to be in on Sundays with very little sales till word gets around. I doubt many are making that money now that they could afford to pay someone extra to work Sunday.

Doesn't bother me anyway as I work shift and can shop weekdays.:D

Whats wrong with the boss coming in on Sunday by themselves? he/she wouldn't need to pay any staff......or are the BOSSES too big to be seen working on a Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...had to travel to The Pale today for work, and had the 2 x Enfants Terribles with me, so it was car all the way. And climate control - see, they're not all bad :D ......

...but as I gained Eastwards, I noticed a Lot of bikes out and about. Indeed, as I joined M50 North the M4 junction, there was a big run of Vespa's out, which was nice to see, as well.

...anyhoo, we, biker's obviously, if you forgive the pun, can out-do the Handbag fraternity when it comes to Retail Therapy. We love having new stuff. We love the act of buying it. And, naturally, most are rather more than the price of your average handbag. Even a Big Name handbagy......

So, you'd have thought they'd make it easy. Especially so when you consider this is a seasonal pastime, and that one should always make hay while the sun shines (sic). And I appreciate that time is precious, that people in retail have lives to live too.

But, my wife works in retail, and works 3 out of 4 Sundays. I work as an when required (sales, technical, construction - and that's why I travelled today: work, to meet a client). I note IKEA was open. And B & Q. All this because, these are the hours (evenings, week-ends), when people actually have time to go and Do, or Spend.

And so why not with bikes ?? When all those people are out on bikes, on a Sunday, and most just dying for a place to visit, wouldn't you think Sunday hours of some type would be a good idea ? Even if it is a spot of 'retail therapy' ?

And, as the big multiples already know, most cost's are fixed, and surely an extra day's trading - at certain times, maybe - would help ?

All this as, on the run home, I had cause to put my nose up against the window's for two fine m/c emporia, which were closed. And it being 26deg C outside, at the time........motorcycles are, after all, the ultimate Impulse buy.......get a guy sitting on one, and in his head, on a day like today.....he's already on Route 66, or the PCH........in his head, at any rate. All that needs doing then is, to quote Glengarry Glen Ross is........'always be closing )! ! That's why I worked this Sunday, anyhoo...

I wondered this myself. Surely a place like bikeworld would be ideal? Plenty of parking, edge of town where people could easily meet? They'd surely sell some stuff. I can't imagine it's got too many people in buying gear on a tuesday at 11am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I wondered this myself. Surely a place like bikeworld would be ideal? Plenty of parking, edge of town where people could easily meet? They'd surely sell some stuff. I can't imagine it's got too many people in buying gear on a tuesday at 11am.

Can't imagine anyone buying any gear in Bikeworld fullstop, way too expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

furerer wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the boss coming in on Sunday by themselves? he/she wouldn't need to pay any staff......or are the BOSSES too big to be seen working on a Sunday?

Why keep a dog and bark yourself.

What's wrong with working Sunday? Thousands of people do it in many industries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why keep a dog and bark yourself.

What's wrong with working Sunday? Thousands of people do it in many industries.

Sounds like the boss has spoken............he obviously thinks that workers are dogs. :D
    Who said there was anything wrong with working on Sundays?:confused:

Advertisement