Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Chinaman

Options
  • 15-08-2010 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

So, anyone here remember this place and the punk scene in Dublin in the mid 90s? The shows at the Ormond? I'm talking about summer of '96 specifically. I think the pub closed at the end of '96 maybe or start of '97, then everyone started going to that biker pub up by Pierce St.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

Yeah I remember it. It was a class place. I was there for the last gig in there, I think Halloween 97 when the place got raided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

a few of us would mitch from terry's sound tech classes in ballyfermot in some old smoker's ground flat on the corner of that block opposite in the mid-nineties. closest residence to it.. so much sought after place i'd imagine?! his pot den was the reason we'd end up in the chinaman tbh.. place had a rep apparently as worst pub in dublin.. or somethin to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Saw Striknien DC in there when Deko nutted some buck eejit and busted him.

Mad spot alright. Went a few times but jaysus was it intense....

It closed for a while during Ireland's presidency of the EU, I think, only to reopen after for a while.

It was right out beside the back gates of Dublin Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

The Old Chinaman was owned by the O'Donnell brothers for a while, Donegal Men who made their money in the USA. Also owned the Towers in Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Did the whole area get bulldzed and built on. I remember walking to Grafton st in that direction a lot.

Also drinking in there quite a bit. Was it an early house too? Reading at the counter and brushing my dreads behind my ear only to have somebody further down the counter complain that he'd been hit in the face without me noticing.

But think that space got redeveloped heavily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Drank in it a few times

Cheapest (or one of the) pint in Dublin, pool table, great juke box and open hash smoking.

What wasn't to like???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

great times

Advertisement