Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job Seeker Benefit nearly ends, what than?

• 15-08-2010 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi People

Im geting JSB at the moment but final day is near. Im trying to find job but with no result so far. Im wondering if I can count to get Job Seeker Allowance after that and Is this going automaticly or I have to apply separately??

Also, while Im getting JSA can I attend to do courses from FAS or any kind of instytution and still getting payments?

Thanks for any kind of reply.

Regards
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

pooli1986 wrote: »
    Hi People

Im geting JSB at the moment but final day is near. Im trying to find job but with no result so far. Im wondering if I can count to get Job Seeker Allowance after that and Is this going automaticly or I have to apply separately??

Also, while Im getting JSA can I attend to do courses from FAS or any kind of instytution and still getting payments?

Thanks for any kind of reply.

Regards
    Paul

Generally you should receive a letter warning you to apply for JSA a few weeks before your JSB ends. If you don't make sure you do apply as soon as your JSB ends, other wise you will be subject to the new lower limits (assuming you were on the old system) if you wait. Mine ended 5 weeks ago, still waiting for JSA to come through, though I am working part-time so still submitting slips as a record for casual JSA if I qualify.

You may not qualify for JSA however, it is not as easy to get as JSB and appears for most to take months and months to come through - you need to be means tested etc. Keep collecting proof of applying for jobs etc. in the meantime as they may ask for this at interview.

Not sure re FAS - I think they can offer your courses and you must do them (or can only refuse a certain number) or they cut your JSA - open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

How long can i stay on JSB? Im claiming for a year now since been put on a 3 day week :mad:

hitman79 wrote: »
    How long can i stay on JSB? Im claiming for a year now since been put on a 3 day week :mad:

Until your credits run out and depending on whether you were in the system or not when the new rules came in:

From http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q9

How long can I continue to get the payment?

Jobseeker's Benefit may be paid for up to 234 or 312 days of unemployment. However, the duration of benefit varies according to the class of qualifying contribution and the number of total contributions paid since a person started working (see below).

* If a customer has 260 contributions paid they may be paid a total of 12 months (312 days). From 15th October 2008 all new claims and claims with less than 6 months (156 days) are paid a maximum of 312 days. If a customer had 6 months or more (156 days) paid on 15th October 2008, they may be paid 15 months (390 days).
    * If a customer has less than 260 contributions paid they may be paid for a total of 9 months (234 days). From 15th October 2008 all new claims and claims with less than 3 months (78 days) are paid a maximum of 234 days. If a customer had 3 months or more (78 days) paid on 15th October 2008, they may be paid 12 months (312 days).

I'd worked full time for the previous 7 years so does that mean my time on JSB is up?

I'd worked full time for the previous 7 years so does that mean my time on JSB is up?

Pretty much if it is coming up on a year. Originally I thought that if you were working part-time, it would continue to top up your credits, but turned out not to be the case.

• Advertisement

tommy21 wrote: »
    Pretty much if it is coming up on a year. Originally I thought that if you were working part-time, it would continue to top up your credits, but turned out not to be the case.

Thanks for your help..i may start begging to go back on a 5 day week so :(

Thanks for your help..i may start begging to go back on a 5 day week so :(

You may still qualify for assistance while working part-time - it is essentially the same thing (casual job seekers allowance), you submit slips etc. each week. I am waiting for mine to come through still though while on 2 days a week, still submitting slips in meantime so hopefully if I qualify means test will get a nice sum. Been waiting about 6 weeks though, and I'd imagine it will be 3 months total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pooli1986

Tommy

What do You mean that is not easy to get JSA?

Can I apply before my JB ends?
    Will I be entitled to receive payments from Health Center while my aplication is approved?

I was applying online for jobs, what kinde of proofe I can provide??

pooli1986 wrote: »
    Tommy

What do You mean that is not easy to get JSA?

Can I apply before my JB ends?
    Will I be entitled to receive payments from Health Center while my aplication is approved?

I was applying online for jobs, what kinde of proofe I can provide??

As in you are means tested so it takes much longer, where as in my experience I applied for JSB and had it in 2 weeks. Depending on your income you may not qualify, and a number of other factors are taken into account too (check out the social welfare site).

edit: It may be no harm to submit an application a week or so before it ends, believe me the two will not overlap :( )

If you are in trouble, contact your community welfare office who should be able to help you out in the interm.

As for applying for jobs, print out online job specs and the applications you have sent in (or even just a print out of the email you sent in with date etc. info on page). Also a list of places you have dropped CVs into etc. would also be handy - they know at this stage that no business is sending out rejection letters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

tommy21 wrote: »

It is one year if you're fully unemployed. However, at 3 days a week, it will last two years - the 312 days is the important bit.

• Advertisement

wench wrote: »
    It is one year if you're fully unemployed. However, at 3 days a week, it will last two years - the 312 days is the important bit.

Cheers for that wench...i dont have to start begging for my full time hours just yet. Sick of this 3 day week crap tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Guys, quick question on JSA. The social welfare site isn't too clear on this.

I am 25 and my JSB will run out in the next 5/6 weeks. I am currently living at home. Will my parents be means tested as I live at home? The reason I ask is because the site constantly refers to this being the case if you are under 25. No mention of what the means test is if you are over 25 and living at home with parents. I should mention I have no dependents and have no other "means", cash, property, land or otherwise.

Advertisement