Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pros and cons for net or twine..

• 16-08-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Lads i have had a few different lads trying to sway me between net and twine for the bales recently and i would like yer opinions on the differances if ye dont mind...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

For me the only benefits of net are ease of removal on baled silage and is quicker than twine to put on the bale, twine tied bales can take alot more handling as net gets frayed from spikes,
    I dont know which is cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

look the main advantage of net is that it takes around 30 seconds to take off compared to a minute and a half with twine also with twine it is extermaly hard to take all of it off as there is often 2 or 3 bands beneath the surface of the bale

as for handling twine is better but on silage bales the plastic holds the bale to gether as well and protects the net

on straw bales the net can get dammaged easyer though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

using twine is a stone age practice , if i knew a contractor was using it , id run him , nothing but NET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Wrap much better, helps hold the shape of the bale better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Definately prefer the net. Had it last year and it makes life much easier in winter.
    Unfortunately have twine bales this year as regular baler wasnt aroung at time:mad:

Will make sure to get net next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coolio kidddd

irishh_bob wrote: »
    using twine is a stone age practice , if i knew a contractor was using it , id run him , nothing but NET

now thats s h i t e right there our baler does both and i would prefer the twine its as quick to take off in the winter, also bales can take more of a beating handling etc. the only person net benifits is the lad baling because its quicker to apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

now thats s h i t e right there our baler does both and i would prefer the twine its as quick to take off in the winter, also bales can take more of a beating handling etc. the only person net benifits is the lad baling because its quicker to apply.

i prefer to be taking off the net anyday over the twine. there would always be 1 or 2 twines that just would not pull out IME

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hey OP you should have started a poll!

Anyway my vote is net, only disadvantage is after it comes off the bale, its total rubbish but a little bit of twine is always handy;) round the gaff.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

twine its as quick to take off in the winter
    not its not, it takes a lot longer to take off. Twine tends to dig ito the bale a lot more. by the time you find all the ends of the twine, or cut them and have them all in your hand, you would have the net taken off! a lot if years, the straw we buy is twine so its easy to make a direct comparison!
    also bales can take more of a beating handling etc.

true, this has a massive advantage for straw when it gets thrown off the side of a lorry! No real advantage for silage, as a wrapped bale should be stored within a few hours of being wrapped. We transport 12 acers of unwrapped silage every summer to be wrapped in the yard, never had any issue with the net
    the only person net benifits is the lad baling because its quicker to apply.
    and quicker for the farmer to remove in the winter.

our contractor has been using net since 1996 (was actually one of the first net machines in the country if i remember), im supprised contractors still use twine, havnt seen a twine bale around us in a long time. The shape of the bale is more to do with the crop (how much dry matter) and how well its packed, a wet bale will always sag no matter how much net of twine is on it! I would never go back to twine......unless its square bales :D

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anyway my vote is net, only disadvantage is after it comes off the bale, its total rubbish but a little bit of twine is always handy;) round the gaff.

could not agree more! how else are we supposed to make gates out of pallets!

i disagree, with twine you have just the few to cut with net you have hundreds of micro threads or watever we call them to cut which are quiet hard to cut i can make a comaparison because i have both !!!!!!!

its an advantage for silage because i have seen many bales with net fall to s-hite thru rough ground were the twine would always stay together. putting on a bale trailer.....if you bust net your finished with twine...it stays toghether. we would be drawing a similar amount of acreage 4 mile round trip and 16 or 18 on the bale trailer they do be under a nice bit of pressure.

i didnt say contractor did it we do our own, contractors have given up twine years ago everywere how could he justify going around with a baler that takes 1 min to twine when the net will go on in 20-30 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

with the net i find it best to stand them like a tin-can and walk around it unwrapping the net as i go. cutting the nets is a disaster alright:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

My vote goes for net everyday of the week ;)
    If the net is buried in the bale thats down to the man
    operating the baler imo. He should be stopping when the baler is in the wrapping
    processs and not taking in grass ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Honestly Lads, I can't remember what twine is like on a bale it's that long since I've seen it.
    The biggest thing I miss though nowadays is that I can never lay my hands on a bit of twine when I need it!

I do think the quality of the net wrap being used now is not as good as several years ago. Anyone else think this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 caseih

all the farmers i bale for all want net,, if you had no net on your baler you would get no work whatsoever,, also net helps keep the rain off hay or straw if your storing it outside,,,, regards twine for tyin gates i do buy a roll of big square baling twine great job for holdin things together....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

49801 wrote: »
    with the net i find it best to stand them like a tin-can and walk around it unwrapping the net as i go. cutting the nets is a disaster alright:D

+1, walk the nett off as well, best way to get it completely off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

i disagree, with twine you have just the few to cut with net you have hundreds of micro threads or watever we call them to cut which are quiet hard to cut i can make a comaparison because i have both !!!!!!!

I actually laughed out loud reading this! Do you be out with the magnifying glass cutting each strand individually? :rolleyes:

Net is easier to take off a bale, no question about it. One stroke with a decent knife and it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

For silage net because it holds chopped bales together
    hay and straw twine easier to deal with in the shed when stacking and mice tend not to chew twines and if it was net the whole bales would be in a nice state
    But this time last year when a lad came for straw going west he was delighted to see twine as the top layer of bales wasnt going to be destroyed with branches etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i disagree, with twine you have just the few to cut with net you have hundreds of micro threads or watever we call them to cut which are quiet hard to cut

putting the bale on its end and walking around is a lot easier! net is a disaster to cut alright, its annoying when it rips before its taken off!

nice having your own bailer!

Micheal H wrote: »
    I actually laughed out loud reading this! Do you be out with the magnifying glass cutting each strand individually? :rolleyes:

Net is easier to take off a bale, no question about it. One stroke with a decent knife and it's done.

more of a figure of speech then anyting else really lets just call them 'individual strands of net' will that suit you now? you find very subtle things funny:confused:

theres a problem someplace lads because i am as rapid as net for removal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

more of a figure of speech then anyting else really lets just call them 'individual strands of net' will that suit you now? you find very subtle things funny:confused:

theres a problem someplace lads because i am as rapid as net for removal!!!

It wasn't what you called them that I found funny, it's the way you made it sound that because there are more strands to cut it takes longer than cutting less twine. And yes, I take humour from the little things in life - there aren't many other places to get it these days!

You must have some serious method to taking them off because I've always found net much handier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Net = Easier to take off, faster to put on, bales look better.
    Twine = Bales can take more abuse without being damaged, probably cheaper? :confused:

If you need baler twine, buy a role! It costs nothing compared to the use you'll get out of it :D

Advertisement