Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

squire bass over an actual fender bass??

• 16-08-2010 12:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭

i want a new bass and i have played and owned and american jazz bass . it was a nice bass but i didn't like it really :S i have a squire p bass now and i bloody love the tone on that i must say . i was playing a p bass in town that i have had my eye for a while now and i just loved playing it :)

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_sq_vintage_modified_precision.htm

its just lovely !!!! i love the colour as well thats a plus

do people think its stupid that i prefer a squire over a fender , i wouldn't mind having a fender but i just don't have the money!! and i dot really like the people that think you cant lay bass or look down at you because you bass isn't a fender etc(iv had that done to me ) . is it all personal preference really??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

for some reason when i play bass, it doesn't matter what brand it is once the neck feels good and the pickups have a decent clear sound.

totally different story with guitar.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

A V A wrote: »
    i have a squire p bass now and i bloody love the tone on that i must say .

. . . .

i wouldn't mind having a fender but i just don't have the money!!

answered your own question there, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: i know ye jaysus what am i like!!!

what i meant was if i had the money of course i would but a fender just like any person would if they had the money but just asking is basically personal preference if someone rathers to play the less cheaper option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

If you are happy with the feel and tone of your squire, then that's all you need. The people who look down on you for owing a squire probably would not know the difference in tone in a blindfold test. Dont mind about them. If you are happy, that's all that matters.

In the meantime you can always save up to upgrade at a later stage. For now though, just enjoy what you have. :)

:):) cheers for that , i can hear the differentis tone's with diferent bases and im able to tell bass people are using them with out seeing them :)
    i have this squire since i was 14 and im noq 20 and iv been playing it everyday , and writing on it and just want a change you know , i find when im out on other basses in a shop i can come up with new bass lines better than i would on my own bass so a new one would be cool

i think most of the idiots that look down to people just because they dont have a fender cant notice the sound's and be able to tell about the picks and what they do !!! some of them are really bad at bass , and i think they are blinded by the name aswell

• Advertisement

:):) cheers for that , i can hear the differentis tone's with diferent bases and im able to tell bass people are using them with out seeing them :)
    i have this squire since i was 14 and im noq 20 and iv been playing it everyday , and writing on it and just want a change you know , i find when im out on other basses in a shop i can come up with new bass lines better than i would on my own bass so a new one would be cool

i think most of the idiots that look down to people just because they dont have a fender cant notice the sound's and be able to tell about the picks and what they do !!! some of them are really bad at bass , and i think they are blinded by the name aswell

There is no denying that a higher end bass is both nicer to play, feels nicer in your hands, and generally has a nicer tone. Having said that, expensive does not always mean good. When you do have enough money to buy a better bass, you will appriciate it all the more, as you are coming at it from a lower level.

There will always be people like you describe. Some even think that if you play bass with a pick, you are not a "real" bassist. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I've had a Squirer bass for the last ten years and never had any trouble with it. I'm a guitarist, but I use the bass constantly for recording. I find it to have a nice, heavy, "thuddy" sound, which is probably a Fender trademark, but I'm not sure how different a 'real' Fender would make. Back when I was buying it (in the States) I had a choice between a second hand Fender Jazz Bass and the new Squirer, and I went with the Squirer cos it just felt better.

The only real difference I think you'll find is when you play something like a Warwick, or a Pedulla or something more along those lines. They have a much different response, sound, feel etc.

Put it to you this way, I once saw a band and the guy played with a Rickenbacker bass and he was terrible. Its not all about what guitar you have...

Rigsby wrote: »
    There is no denying that a higher end bass is both nicer to play, feels nicer in your hands, and generally has a nicer tone. Having said that, expensive does not always mean good. When you do have enough money to buy a better bass, you will appriciate it all the more, as you are coming at it from a lower level.

There will always be people like you describe. Some even think that if you play bass with a pick, you are not a "real" bassist. :rolleyes:

sure im saving up for my squire now dont have that much money living on me own and having other expense's to pay , i think even when i get this one ill appreciate it more aswell:)

i play bass with a pick and with my fingers it all depends what you comfortable with , once again its people just being idiots , alot of melodic bassist play with pic and some play it their fingers , i eve notice if you play with a pic the tone is alot thiner than play with your fingers , which has a fatter bass sound .
    my bass lines are like , joy division / new order / blink 182 kind of style , so i like the sound on the squire ,: ) did you take a look at the bass in the link ?? what do you think , its a nice colour isnt it :)

did you take a look at the bass in the link ?? what do you think , its a nice colour isnt it :)

Yep, it's a nice bass alright. Dont forget, if you are willing to go used, there are some nice bargains to be had on more higher end basses then the squire for not much more money. Keep an eye on our own www.adverts.ie. Good bargains to be had there from time to time.

yes i know ye im always bying and selling on adverts , been on there for a good while now :) but ones i like are just not showing up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

I've heard nothing but good things about those vintage Squiers, if it's what you want go for it and don't worry about the label. I use both a Squier PJ bass and a Fender Jazz regularly for gigging and recording.

The Classic Vibe Series are supposed to be even better again if you're ok with the colour:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_squier_classic_vibe_p_bass_60.htm

Personally I'd like to pick up this lad at some stage:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_squier_classicvibe_jbass60_ow.htm

iv really liked that bass for ages i really wants it :)

so is my bass good yes:) it feels great to me

i didnt like the colour in your first link:S

and the second is nice but yet again its the money and i owned a jazz bass and didnt really like the sound!! iv to get other studio stuff aswell haha

cheers for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

My mate has a Fender Deluxe Jazz and a Squier P-Bass and in my experience he chooses the Squier without fail.

If you're not snobby about the badge, there are plenty of Squiers with enough mojo and character to turn your head.

If you feel it from the instrument, then who cares what's on the headstock.

Apart from the musos in the audience, no one'll know the difference. I've got a couple of guitars (and one lonesome bass) sitting around the house, but my wife is still at the stage where she turns to me at a gig and asks me "is he playing a guitar or a bass?".

Play what you like.

P.S. IMHO because buying a Squier to "replace" a Fender, you're going to want to try a few before you find the good one. Because of that I'd prefer to buy local rather than ordering online.

iv played that bass a good while and i have been dabbling around with basses but i just didn't really like the finder tag and the types of basses they were producing, they use to be great but now they just don't feel great at all :(

i know people wont know the difference but i do have a few friends that know there music stuff and i know they might pick out that the sounds is different or bad !!! but all the same i did show them a bass line i recorded on my 6 years squire and they thought it was great . . . so i think its hit or miss really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If a guitar/bass feels great, buy it. If it doesn't sound great, update the pickups and look at the rest of your signal chain and effects settings.

I've had a few junkers that I've loved that have become completely different guitars with upgraded pickups. And the benefit of that is, if you buy a really good set up pickups, you'll still have them available if you decide to upgrade your guitar (for solid wood, better hardware etc) and you want to keep your "sound".

ye and i love the feel of a fret board on a bass and guitar , iv changed the picks on my 52 re-issue tele and my god it sounds great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

My bandmate plays a Squier Jazz bass as his main player, he plays in several bands with it and it very solid in gigging and recording. He got a bass that played nicely and then changed out the hardware and got some nice pickups, so it still cost less a US jazz but it probably sounds better now.
    I was thinking of getting one of those fretless squier jazzes as my next bass myself. Very highly recommended and hard to beat at those prices really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Prince plays a Hohner Telecaster better than most (imo *all*) others play Fender Teles.

prince-gal-alma2007.jpg

The name on the headstock doesn't mean a thing. I love my Squier '51 the same way I love my Fender Jazzmaster. From experience playing my mates' guitars, I'd pick my '51 over a Dean ML or a (relatively new) Gibson SG any day.

i suppose its all based on personal preference and form people are saying , it seems that squire are pretty good

i was thinking of buying this bass in the link and changing the fretboard to a , light ass something like this maybe

i just love the look and it looks great to play aswell Fender_P-Bass_Nat_C15756_bodyfront.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Prince plays a Hohner Telecaster better than most (imo *all*) others play Fender Teles.

prince-gal-alma2007.jpg

The name on the headstock doesn't mean a thing.

I'm with you to a degree, but I don't think you can fairly compare Hohner to Squire. Hohner have a long history of making quality instruments. Those reissues cost about the same as a Fender American Standard Tele, and Prince's is probably handmade and would cost considerably more. Squire is a cheap, low-end, mass-produced entry-level guitar. But it's a good cheap, low-end, mass-produced entry-level guitar. However, by the time you've had it professionally set up, and upgraded the electronics and pick-ups (and bought a HSC) you're in American Standard territory price-wise, well, Highway One maybe.

I traded up from CIJ to AVRI Jazzmaster recently, and I don't think I would ever go back to Japanese or Mexican Fenders either, though I think the CIJs are far superior to the Mexican Fenders, they've been making them there longer, they know what they're doing. A Squire would be a super first guitar, but if you're anyway serious about your music I'd recommend going mid-range Fender every time.

• Advertisement

OP : Another bass that you could consider ( while still staying with Fender ) is the G&L ( the "L" stands for "Leo" ;) ) L2000 Tribute. IMO, it is light years ahead of MIM fenders. The tribs are made in Indonesia under license to the USA. You can also get USA G&L's which are better, but not by much, considering the price difference. Here is a link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o

im not starting out in music, iv been playing bas for a while now and same with guitar , i have a fender 52 tele (jap) and i changed pots to americanand the bridge to ab american aswell! souns great and i was told that the jap fenders are the same quality as an american guitar , and tbh i have played numerous american fenders and i dont feel the difference and i cant hear anything either !!!ad my uncle gave my jp and and american a shot and said he hears/feels no difference and he's been playing and buying guitars since he was 15 and he's now 51 :P !!!

still there are famous musicians that still play squires, pete wentz fall out boy( i know i know , but still sounds good) and same with the guy from the XX , he said he recorded the bass on the album all on a squire basses , and the bass sounds great on that whole album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

belacqua_ wrote: »
    I'm with you to a degree, but I don't think you can fairly compare Hohner to Squire. Hohner have a long history of making quality instruments. Those reissues cost about the same as a Fender American Standard Tele, and Prince's is probably handmade and would cost considerably more. Squire is a cheap, low-end, mass-produced entry-level guitar. But it's a good cheap, low-end, mass-produced entry-level guitar. However, by the time you've had it professionally set up, and upgraded the electronics and pick-ups (and bought a HSC) you're in American Standard territory price-wise, well, Highway One maybe.

I traded up from CIJ to AVRI Jazzmaster recently, and I don't think I would ever go back to Japanese or Mexican Fenders either, though I think the CIJs are far superior to the Mexican Fenders, they've been making them there longer, they know what they're doing. A Squire would be a super first guitar, but if you're anyway serious about your music I'd recommend going mid-range Fender every time.

I'd pick a Squier over a Mexican Fender any day especially so with something from the Squier VM or CV series.

@ OP said changing the fretboard is major surgery and you'd be better off just getting a new neck for the bass or finding a bass you like with the neck/fretboard you want rather considering trying to get the fretboard changed.

im not starting out in music, iv been playing bas for a while now and same with guitar , i have a fender 52 tele (jap) and i changed pots to americanand the bridge to ab american aswell! souns great and i was told that the jap fenders are the same quality as an american guitar , and tbh i have played numerous american fenders and i dont feel the difference and i cant hear anything either !!!ad my uncle gave my jp and and american a shot and said he hears/feels no difference and he's been playing and buying guitars since he was 15 and he's now 51 :P !!!

still there are famous musicians that still play squires, pete wentz fall out boy( i know i know , but still sounds good) and same with the guy from the XX , he said he recorded the bass on the album all on a squire basses , and the bass sounds great on that whole album

Well hearing does deteriorate with age ... ;) I've recorded with my piece of crap Epiphone GT with its cheapo stock P-90s and it's sounded good, but that's more to do with the skill of the sound engineer and producer, there's no way I'd play with it live, not just because the pick-ups and electrics are dodgy, but the tuners aren't great either, it's far too unreliable. In fact, why the hell am I hanging on to it? Sentimental value, I suppose.

Speaking of the xx and bass, their song "islands" completely rips off the bassline at the end of Pavement's "Fight this Generation"

hmmmmmm live is a different story all together

ill check that bassline out :)

i just listened to it and i dont see the rip off atall :S:S its just they sound like but both different , if we were to say bass lines are a rip off we would be sayin it everyday that such bands basslines are ripping off the beatles bassline you get me?? sure they have done every bassline in the book

zafo wrote: »
    I'd pick a Squier over a Mexican Fender any day especially so with something from the Squier VM or CV series.

I'd consider the Mexicans to be on the same footing as a Squier, but then what about the Mexican Baja? I'd probably save up for another couple of weeks/months and buy a Highway One or American Standard and work from there. I don't want to sound like a Johnny know-it-all, or worse, a snob, I'd love someone or some Squier/Mex/CIJ guitar to prove me wrong, but unfortunately any American Fender I've played has been consistently better than its Chinese/Mex/CIJ equivalent. Which is a real shame, because I'd love to get a reissue Mustang, but by the time I upgrade the pick-ups, possibly the tuners, consider changing the trem system, buy a flight case and so on, it would end up costing the same or within a couple of hundred europeans off the price of a vintage US Mustang - but with none of the return if I had to sell it, in fact it would depreciate significantly. Guess I'll have to keep saving for that Mustang.

i just listened to it and i dont see the rip off atall :S:S its just they sound like but both different , if we were to say bass lines are a rip off we would be sayin it everyday that such bands basslines are ripping off the beatles bassline you get me?? sure they have done every bassline in the book

But it's such a distinctive bass outro, it's like they've gone: [xx1] 'you know what? that would make a good song', [xx2] 'you're right, let's do it!', [all xxs] 'yay!' [Mercury Music Man] 'well done chaps, you've just been nominated for a mercury' [all xxs] 'yay!'.*

*This is a dramatisation of the xx's songwriting methodology and their subsequent Mercury nomination.

this is a whole diferent argument for another thread that i would like to start :) i get what your saying man but i do have my defences for them as well should w start a thread ??

• Advertisement

this is a whole diferent argument for another thread that i would like to start :) i get what your saying man but i do have my defences for them as well should w start a thread ??

Sorry, I'm derailing your thread, no need for a new one. It was bugging me, I've got it out of my system. Carry on.

cheers pal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

I wouldnt knock squiers .I have one from the 80's which is a made in japan which at the time would have been entry level guitar but now because they were so well made, are collectors items.

My own experience is go what feels right .I have 2 custom shop strats one a collectors item and my favorite guitar is a white mexican strat which I got for 250 dollars for a gig in the USA. Its pretty well built but the hardware is loose.

I also have an s1 switching Fender P bass which I love .I don't even play bass but the tone off it is gorgeous a real beaut.

The problem with the cheapo ones is they tend to be made out of plywood and wood pulp.The more dearer ones would be made in 5 pieces glued together. I think as a player of six years you should be pretty good and owe yourself something more proffesional.

hey buble

hmmm iv had a fender mexican jazz bass and i didnt like it , i only played it because it was a bass, as strange as that sounds , its true :P im not quiet sure if im contradicting myself but i think any one would get an american fender bass/ guitar , just like if any one had the money they would get the best car etc ???:S:S :P
    but that car may be the best car in the world but may not feel right ?? that make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

hey buble

hmmm iv had a fender mexican jazz bass and i didnt like it , i only played it because it was a bass, as strange as that sounds , its true :P im not quiet sure if im contradicting myself but i think any one would get an american fender bass/ guitar , just like if any one had the money they would get the best car etc ???:S:S :P
    but that car may be the best car in the world but may not feel right ?? that make sense
    your biomechanics palys a huge role. I personally detest short scale guitars even though they sound sweeter to the ear. I also hate guitars with incredibly flat radiuses .I go over feel than sound because you can make any guitar sound good with technology and I have that .Personal choice really.

well cheers for the input :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

i've a mex strat that's been upgraded that plays as good if not better than a few american standards. i have lads who own the us strats play it and were almost in disbelief when they found out it was a mex.
    i've played affinity squire basses that are better sounding and feeling than ex fender's too :rolleyes:

Advertisement