Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Calendar- Who is Best?

• 16-08-2010 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭

Once again, I am planning on getting calendars done as a Christmas Presents/Stocking Fillers.

I have done it for the last 3 years with 3 different calendar production outfits. I got 20 done each time.

All the recipients of the calendars 'express their delight'- but each year I have been disappointed with the photo quality.

What I'm looking for is a good quality simple design A3(that is the full page you see) calendar.

Also needed is kinda real time control - where the software allows you to pick and plant your own images and see them etc

Any ideas:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

for image quality and versatile design software you can't beat photobox.... er... apart from the price that is.... i was actually thinking of getting some done with them as i've been happy with their prints and after service... till i saw the price of them :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

I did calendars last year with Redbubble and was very happy with them, quality-wise and everything.
    The advantage (for me, anyway, with the family in a different country) was that they could order as they wished, and have it sent to them directly. I didn't have to deal with sending out packages to Germany/America/elsewhere, they did all that themselves. You can also set your own price, and get a certain amount of profit for each calendar sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

I got 2 A3 ones from Photobox last year and thought they looked great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I used photobox for one I did for my parents when I was away traveling last year. Having seen it in the flesh now, I thought it was very good quality. They're a great idea for a present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Thanks to all who replied -much appreciated:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Another vote for photobox but then I'm a big fan. Love their books and calendars.

Keps with stunned look:eek:

Photobox is €26 per calendar- so for 20 (reaching for calculator) that would be €520!

I like my family in friends - but not that much:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

at christmas they usually do a 2 for 1 offer but it's still a lot of love :D I give one to each granny for Christmas with pics of the grandchildren and drawings they've done. Usually good for a few Sunday dinners.

Buy 20 of anything and things start getting expensive... except for penny sweets. They're still cheap.

You did ask for 'good quality' recommendations. Quality comes at a price. How much has it cost in previous years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi Keps, don't know about quality at all, but I remembered this link I found interesting from someone who asked where to get photo mugs printed a little while ago, might be worth a look ? For their price you could get one printed and make up your mind before Christmas comes :D.
    Actually I took note of that link because I quite like all the tacky bits and pieces, thinking of getting a few coin purses as presents for the grannies or aunties this Christmas :D. Fact is, they'll probably love them. ;)

http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/cat0504

• Advertisement

Hi Keps, don't know about quality at all, but I remembered this link I found interesting from someone who asked where to get photo mugs printed a little while ago, might be worth a look ?

:) That'd be me. Mugs should be arriving this Thurs/Fri.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Buy 20 of anything and things start getting expensive... except for penny sweets. They're still cheap.

You did ask for 'good quality' recommendations. Quality comes at a price. How much has it cost in previous years?

Yeah I know - and maybe if I put a tenner a week away from my Guinness budget I could afford Photobox.

In previous years I got A4's but have come to hate that size- average price about 11 euros each calendar.

I came across this site - and think I may get one done to test the water - even though there is a £40 set up charge.

http://www.askgroup.net/calendars/stage1.php?id=a3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Shakespeare Photobooks do calendars as well, don't know what they're like but the books are good quality.

http://www.shakespearephotobooks.com/calendars.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

+1 for photobox.

Get it all loaded up and prepared. Then wait and order when the special 2-1 offer comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I got one done for 2009 (for friends and family) and it was the first time I did it. I used (I thought) Spectra Photo, but as it turns out they sub contract out to Tic Tac Photo, the quality was fine but the delivery and service was appalling. They shipped them by post from Belgium (I thought they came from Kerry) which would have been ok, if they had not put them in the post in the middle of a postal strike in Belgium. I'd never use Tic Tac Photo again.

+1 for photobox.

Get it all loaded up and prepared. Then wait and order when the special 2-1 offer comes up.

Do you think that you could rely n a 2-1 offer coming ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Artscow quality is shocking. I got a free mouse pad and I certainly wouldn't buy from them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

another one for photobox, I get calendars done by them every year (Christmas presents too) and all recipients have been happy. their offers can be good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

With photobox can I put multiple images on each page (differnet sizes) and little images on specific days in the calendar 'month' section?

• Advertisement

yes you can (99% sure about this)

IIRC, there are a few templates for the calendar available. I had some pages with 3 images on them and a few with just one nice big image on it. it's quite flexible. You can personalize the dates too (e.g. put in birthdays). I remember being able to put photos on specific days too. I think they may cost a bit extra though.

Just checked it there. It's €2 extra to put photos on specific dates. That's per calendar, not per photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Photobox are doing an offer on calendars at the moment. Here's the offer page 15% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

+1 for Shakespere photobooks. They are good quality but think you are limited to only 2 sizes

http://www.shakespearephotobooks.com/calendars.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Would anyone have a calendar template for 2011??

I'm just looking for a template, so I can build my own.

2011, with Irish holidays seems quite difficult to find, for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

After trying other printers ( I found snapfish to be particularly mediocre) I have used photobox regularly for prints & photobooks.

- They are a bit expensive
    BUT
    - They keep you informed as to when you can expect to receive your photos
    AND
    - they deliver pretty quickly
    -AND
    - they have reasonably good customer service

- I ordered a photobook from them earlier this year( eu 60) , wasnt happy with the quality, and they reprocessed & sent me another one ( that I was happy with) no quibble. Took me about 5 weeks in total, from time of ordering book , to receipt of a book I was happy with. So definitely not suitable for pros or people on a deadline, but if you are flexible regarding time, they are very, very good.

Now for 20 calendars, I would struggle with their prices. It might be worthwhile identifying say 2-3 providers & ask each to print say a 10x15 photo for you. That should cost less than eu20. Then you can decide which one to go for.

- FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I have used Photobox for coffee table books and calendars and the quality is perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

I'm using lulu.com just to see what it's like. I made two calendars yesterday and if I like them enough I'll sell them directly from Lulu rather than trying to shift copies myself. Postage is cheap enough so I don't think people will have a problem buying from the site if they want one.

I bought a calendar from another photographer off there last year and really liked it so thought I'd give it a try this year myself. My only issue so far is that the site is pretty slow to load.

One of the two features a LOT of cupcakes! :D

Thanks *Eadaoin and all the people who have taken time to respod

*Eadaoin- you might just give some feedback on lulu when you see the results:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Will do keps, I will hopefully have the calendars in my hand in the next week or so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nextbigthing

Is there a calender package offered through I Photo ?

I taught i heard there was :confused: ?

If it exists is it any good ?
    or are you just paying for the Apple brand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

I have iphoto on the lap top
    I think I used it once :D

its not worth all the hype that Apple waffle on about :rolleyes:

Re Calender I think they do offer something alright but if i remember correctly Its US residents only (I stand corrected on that !)

Photobox looks the best to me

I used that tic tac Crowd for a book once and was waiting an age
    quality nothing great either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nextbigthing

Cheers for that
    the reason I asked my friend has one of slim shiny things with the half eaten apple yoke :D:D

I was going to give the pictures I had in mind to her
    and let her do the Biz :P

But having looked at the photobox thingy it looks straight forward enough :p

Hopefully I wont be back !!

P.S
    Does anyone know when the closing date for the Christmas is ?
    couldn't see any dates earlier:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There are calendar blanks in Lidl, so get the empty ones and just glue on your regular prints ;)

+1 for photobox.

wow - this has happened- Photobox now have a 2 for 1 offer finishing on the 21st October

I know what I will be doing tomorrow!:)

Thanks for the heads up the_tractor and Baachus!

oops here is the link

http://www.photobox.ie/shop/calendars-and-diaries

I thought the 2 for 1 promo was a little vague- it just mentioned - 2 for 1 but was not clear about higher numbers.

Anyway I have clarified to my own satisfaction with them

If you order 20 you pay for 10

If you order 100 you pay for 50

I know that may seem obvious - but the words in the promo were a little unclear to me:pac:

• Advertisement

Just to let anyone who is interested know- I dispatched an order for
    30 x A3 calendars just now.

The total price was €272 including postage(trackable online) - which is great value I think

The 2 for 1 offer closes on Thursday night

For anyone who is interested- the calendars arrived today.

I am totally blown away by the quality of the calendars
    (nothing here about the photos)

The paper quality, the reproduction- the packaging -all just 1st class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

FWIW if anyone else is doing this, snapfish.ie currently have 50% off on Calendars.
    use coupon code 50DEC10 at the checkout by midnight Sunday 12th December 2010

No idea about quality or anything like that, I'm afraid, I've just taken a punt on it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

FWIW if anyone else is doing this, snapfish.ie currently have 50% off on Calendars.

No idea about quality or anything like that, I'm afraid, I've just taken a punt on it myself.

Feck, I only saw this now. 1 day too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Quick question for anyone producing their own calendars this year; what is the most important factor when choosing a calendar supplier? Reputation, price, online editing?

• Advertisement

JustinOval wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone producing their own calendars this year; what is the most important factor when choosing a calendar supplier? Reputation, price, online editing?

For me it was:

Layout Management > Price

That was about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

For me it was:

Layout Management > Price

That was about it.

Thanks. How much control over layout did you need/want? Template based?

JustinOval wrote: »
    Thanks. How much control over layout did you need/want? Template based?

Yeah, I wanted multiple photos (portrait & landscape) on different pages, and the snapfish software let me do anywhere between 1 and 5 or 6 (most I did was 3 so can't recall max number) photo's on a given page, with a variety of layouts for each one. I would have like a couple more options, but I was pretty happy with the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Just to throw in my 5 cents.. I'm using Vistaprint at the moment and they turn out a good product. Had a few bits lost with Photobox in the past and decided to use someone different just for the calendars, very happy with the product and the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I did calendars last year with Redbubble and was very happy with them, quality-wise and everything.
    The advantage (for me, anyway, with the family in a different country) was that they could order as they wished, and have it sent to them directly. I didn't have to deal with sending out packages to Germany/America/elsewhere, they did all that themselves. You can also set your own price, and get a certain amount of profit for each calendar sold.

Am i reading this right? You sold gifts to your family? And not even at cost but to make a profit?:eek:

Advertisement