Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismissal.

Options
  • 16-08-2010 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, i've just been given the news that i and a co-worker are to be dismissed from Work. I'm pretty upset right now but i'll try to give some background information.

Basically, i work in a pub and have done for about 10 years. The current owner bought it about 8.5 years ago. He has had the pub leased out to a man for about the last 6-7 years. The owner drinks in the pub too as do myself and co-worker. I'm not part of a trade union, don't have a contract of employment (legal/illegal?) and work on a casual basis - ie. some weeks i could work for 40 hours, the next, 10 hours, and some weeks not at all. I am however paid "through the books."

I had a quick look a few minutes ago at the grounds for fair/unfair dismissal and there is nothing there. In fact i have never been brought up for lateness, dress code etc. I've always done my job competantly, and even if i wasn't i was never told.

I know it's largely irrelevant but i always go outside my duties, i always drive my customers home, including the owner, and even give him late drink 95% of the time when he asks for it (i know!) It's a local pub and i'm generally popular with the customers. I unfortunately haven't really spoken to my boss (the leasee) yet but my understanding is that the owner has a problem with some of his work practices, such as not cleaning the pub enough/properly. Of course it's also a part of my job to clean the place but i always do what my boss tells me to. I get on pretty well with my boss, we're actually pretty good friends so i'd hate to go down the Unfair Dismissals route with him etc.

I'm sorry if this is all over the place or doesn't make sense etc, but i'll answer any questions ye have and i'd really really appreciate any help.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You don't actually have to have a signed contract of employment to be entitled to the rights that a contract confers. If you have been working regular hours for a sustained period of time, then a signed contract is not required.

Contact NERA immediately, and seek advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hi all, i've just been given the news that i and a co-worker are to be dismissed from Work. I'm pretty upset right now but i'll try to give some background information.

Basically, i work in a pub and have done for about 10 years. The current owner bought it about 8.5 years ago. He has had the pub leased out to a man for about the last 6-7 years. The owner drinks in the pub too as do myself and co-worker. I'm not part of a trade union, don't have a contract of employment (legal/illegal?) and work on a casual basis - ie. some weeks i could work for 40 hours, the next, 10 hours, and some weeks not at all. I am however paid "through the books."

I had a quick look a few minutes ago at the grounds for fair/unfair dismissal and there is nothing there. In fact i have never been brought up for lateness, dress code etc. I've always done my job competantly, and even if i wasn't i was never told.

I know it's largely irrelevant but i always go outside my duties, i always drive my customers home, including the owner, and even give him late drink 95% of the time when he asks for it (i know!) It's a local pub and i'm generally popular with the customers. I unfortunately haven't really spoken to my boss (the leasee) yet but my understanding is that the owner has a problem with some of his work practices, such as not cleaning the pub enough/properly. Of course it's also a part of my job to clean the place but i always do what my boss tells me to. I get on pretty well with my boss, we're actually pretty good friends so i'd hate to go down the Unfair Dismissals route with him etc.

I'm sorry if this is all over the place or doesn't make sense etc, but i'll answer any questions ye have and i'd really really appreciate any help.

Thank You.

You've given us the beginning and the end, but no middle.
    Why, when and how were you let go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

are you looking for advice?

it might be that you were let go cos of the economic downturn. I've heard pubs aren't doing the trade they used to back in the boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Slydice wrote: »
    are you looking for advice?

it might be that you were let go cos of the economic downturn. I've heard pubs aren't doing the trade they used to back in the boom

That would be redundancy, not dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dvpower wrote: »
    That would be redundancy, not dismissal.
    I'm thinking they're dismissed, so no redundancy has to be paid when the pub closes? Sounds very dodge, and you should contact NERA, as it sounds like your "friend", the manager, is screwing you over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭davocesque

jobs in pubs are always funny like that, very casual. you need to contact citizens advice or someone like that, and see where you stand, sounds to me that the boss doesnt think you'll follow up your dismissal, and that if you did he's just claim that without a contract you have no legal stance to apeal, but that is not true!!

Advertisement