Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why doesn't every pub have a breathalyzer?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

What would you think if every licensed premises was required to provide a breathalyzer for patrons to check if they where still legally permitted to drive?

I had a look at the cost of breathalyzers to check how much they cost and there only around 70 euros! Surely every pub could afford to spend this to incentives people not to drink and drive.

Not only that but if someone was obviously too drunk to be served anymore but still demanding drink the staff could ask him to blow into the breathalyzer to prove that he wasn’t too drunk.

I really don’t understand why pubs don’t have them. I’m sure if people actually knew that they were over the limit a lot less would drive home drunk.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Really think a pub wants to give people a reason not to buy more drink...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

That's a pretty naive view of people you have there, drunk or not.
    It would instantly become a game of scoring the highest blood alcohol level.

A very fun game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I dont even know where to start...

Just wow. WOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This would only encourage people to drink and drive!

IMO, the limit for Drink Driving should be 0 drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I’m sure it wouldn’t stop most people drinking but at least you would know that you were over the limit or know that you weren’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

If you can't remember which way the claymore is pointing, it's towards you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Your pretty much at the limit with one drink. Two and your dicing with your licence/life.

COMMON SENCE!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Breathalyzer? Cup you hand over your mouth and nose and smell!

FearDark wrote: »
    Your pretty much at the limit with one drink. Two and your dicing with your licence/life.

COMMON SENCE!

And not only your life, but other people's lives who shouldnt have to pay for your f*cking stupidity!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

A pub in London I used to frequent, had such a facility, think might have had a small charge for using, essentially pay the small charge, it would dispense a small straw like device and you blew into the machine which was attached to the wall and it gave you a reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

cos the why is why the what un the who and you need to realise taht ytiy neeed yi control your alcohol consumption

Why is it such a stupid idea?

Say you go for a meal at a bar and have a couple of drinks with your meal. Before driving home you decide to check to make sure you’re under the limit. You discover you are not and get a cab home instead.

Why would this be a bad thing???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Alphabet backwards always worked back in the day.

Doc wrote: »
    Why is it such a stupid idea?

Say you go for a meal at a bar and have a couple of drinks with your meal. Before driving home you decide to check to make sure you’re under the limit. You discover you are not and get a cab home instead.

Why would this be a bad thing???

You decide to go for a meal

You want to have drinks with the meal, you get a cab there. Because, by drinking and driving, you are putting lives at risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

its not up to pubs to uphold road traffic laws. pubs are there to serve adults who are responsible for their own actions off the premises.

the idea of asking someone who has had too much to blow into a breathaliser would not work either because the device merely states if someone is over the legal driving limit. not by how much and just what is too much? I am a bar man and if someone in my opinion has had enough then that's final.

I've seen in some pubs a breathaliser on the wall which you pay to use. pointless Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

........ but guard the bloke down the pub said I was under the limit, I didnt mean to kill that little girl on her bike .....:rolleyes:

Alphabet backwards always worked back in the day.

Tebahpla?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You decide to go for a meal

You want to have drinks with the meal, you get a cab there. Because, by drinking and driving, you are putting lives at risk!

No lives where put at risk in my scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Breathalyzer? Cup you hand over your mouth and nose and smell!

The fap I had earlier would spoil the results though :(

congo_90 wrote: »
    its not up to pubs to uphold road traffic laws. pubs are there to serve adults who are responsible for their own actions off the premises.

the idea of asking someone who has had too much to blow into a breathaliser would not work either because the device merely states if someone is over the legal driving limit. not by how much and just what is too much? I am a bar man and if someone in my opinion has had enough then that's final.

I've seen in some pubs a breathaliser on the wall which you pay to use. pointless Imo.

I never said the pub should have any responsibility to uphold the traffic laws. All I said it that people should be able to find out if they are over the limit to drive or not. If they then decide to go and break the law then they are idiots.

As the law currently allows for someone to have a blood alcohol level at a certain limit why shouldn’t people be able to find out if they have passed the limit or not?

• Advertisement

No lives where put at risk in my scenario.

You shouldn't need a machine in the pub to tell you you're under the limit, you should be responsible enough not to drink and drive.

My local shop doesn't have a sign telling me not to piss on the floor, i just don't piss on the floor!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You shouldn't need a machine in the pub to tell you you're under the limit, you should be responsible enough not to drink and drive.

My local shop doesn't have a sign telling me not to piss on the floor, i just don't piss on the floor!

The law allows you to drink and drive but sets a limit on your blood alcohol level if you want to campaign for the legal limit to be set to 0 then fine but as it is not why should people not know if they have passed the legal limit.

There are many factors that will come into affect to determine if you are over the limit someone who just has one drink might be while someone else who has 2 or 3 might not.

The simple fact is lots of people go out have a few drinks and think there fine to drive but are not. If they had a device that told them that they were fine rater then there own intuition it might stop them getting into their cars! How could this be a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

This would only cause people to drink and drive. More accdients! :eek::eek::eek:
    We have enough of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's not realistic because of how much work is involved in keeping them calibrated etc.
    Would you like to run the bar that gave someone a false under the limit reading who then went on to kill someone on their drive home. There could also be legal ramifications of having them in pubs.

It really just isn't worth the hassle for pub owners. If you have a drink, don't drive, simple as that really.

cooltown wrote: »
    This would only cause people to drink and drive. More accdients! :eek::eek::eek:
    We have enough of them!

Now would it cause people to drink and drive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I can hear it now; So whos going to be the DDD? Designated Drunk Driver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

There shouldn't be a need for these machines. The limit is at one drink. If you plan on having any more than that, leave the car at home. Don't rely on some machine to tell you what to do

Now would it cause people to drink and drive?

You honestly have to ask this question? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

It would basically turn into a competition to see who can drink the most and then still be under the limit, only to be drunk, kill hundreds of people on the way home and claim to be under the limit.

Might have blown it out of proportion a small bit, still a fairly stupid idea though tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Drink Driving Laws don't apply down the country and the guards are more lenient, ask Jackie Healy Rae and he'll tell ya all.

Advertisement