Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't you think you've had enough?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

We've all seen it in the movies, a character is having a lot to drink, induced by sorrow or otherwise, and the bartender tries to gently get this character to stop. Often the bartender asks "Don't you think you've had enough?"

Everyone should know their limit, drink sensibly and look after themselves on a night out (and generally your friends will have your back too) but what I was wondering is, what is the 'bartender code' on this sort of thing?
    Does it depend on the bartender/customer relationship as to whether or not they keep an eye on you? I'd expect the bouncer to step in before the bartender these days tbh.

I think the days of a bartender telling you that you've reached your limit or that you should slow down have gone, perhaps they're too busy and/or would get a slap on the wrist for refusing custom, but is it the same everywhere?

I've only seen this happen in Dublin city centre once, at Christmas time and the bartender knew the customer in question and refused to serve the drink in question to anyone who attempted to buy it for that person.

Have you ever been simply refused any more drinks because you were too drunk? or would the bouncer be called immediately?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Why would a barman refuse business?

And i'll have a Heineken if your buying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ColaBeDamned

In October 2009-

Barmen charged as hotel guest dies from alcohol intoxication

Thursday October 29 2009

TWO barmen working in one of the country's most famous hotels have been charged with the unlawful killing of an Englishman who died from acute alcohol intoxication on the night of his birthday.
    The criminal case, the first one of "liquor liability" in Ireland, has been brought against two staff at the landmark Hayes Hotel in Thurles, Co Tipperary, following a lengthy investigation by gardai.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/barmen-charged-as-hotel-guest-dies-from-alcohol-intoxication-1927506.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

More an American thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Wouldn't bother saying that line as such. I'd just say "You are cut off lad!"

In New Zealand if you get caught serving someone who is clearly intoxicated the bartender themselves would get fined up to 10 grand! So by god we cut them off and got rid off them.

In New York we would keep serving them until they got sick on the floor or outside. Didn't affect us as we need them there buying drink....more drink = more of a tip :cool:

If you are working in a wee local pub where there would be no bouncers it might be more difficult to refuse someone. But if they get ignorant/violent I'd simply stop serving them and say nothing and let them sulk and huff. :pac: Actually that would be one of the perks of the job cutting folks off

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I've never seen a bouncer tell someone they've had enough, they generally just kick drunk and disorderly people out.

I work in a bar and if people are drunk but merry, I'll have some banter with them about how much they've had and keep my eye on them. In fact the only time I've had to tell people they've had enough is during the day and I'd never seen them there before or since.

Really though I don't think it happens much here unless someone's rowdy and most people get very drunk in nightclubs where they rarely cut you off

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I worked in hotels before and would often take over the bar on the late shift and I had a guy in once who was totally flootered and I asked him was he al right and did he think he could handle another drink. I gave him one more and thankfully he went up to bed and was fine the following day. I had decided after that to never again serve a customer when I was unsure of their ability to consume it. My manager later told me to use my discretion but when in doubt kick them out and stop serving.

The funniest was making coffee for a guest all night when she decided she wanted to sober up and she then decided she wanted to get a leg over with me despite being about 44. :eek: Needless to say I did not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

I've had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The bar staff are the first point of contact with a customer.
    If a person is only drunk and with mates, cut them off. Explain to them. Offer water and tell their mates and your staff. If the customer doesn't agree or tries to get more drink, ask them to leave.
    If you don't have a bouncer, it is still possible to remove them easy enough. Never bargain with drunk.
    Ask them can you have a word outside, its too loud in the bar. When the get to the door explain they're not allowed back in. They are now outside your premise. So much easier to keep them out.
    If a drunk won't leave, ignore all requests. A drunk not getting attention will leave after a while.
    A bouncer shouldn't forcibly remove a drunk if possible. It creates a scene. Calm is better and easier. Customer comes back next time with no hard feelings and will watch his intox next time.
    Its up to the bar staff to not serve drunk people. If they do, then they're stupid and have no common sense. Drop them, get better staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ive got it a good few times:mad: espically in the States, was not impressed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Having worked in a bar for a considerable amount of time. I often refused people for being too drunk. Now saying that if every drunk person was refused then there would have being no business at the weekend. You'd call the line when you know somebody is not able to handle another drink out of concern for their safety. However the best option was to say, jasus lad i'd say you've enough in ya now have a pint of water and see how you get on in a while.

Most took it well and drank the water a few got aggressive those you have to remove. By getting them to drink water your helping the sobering up process but they would never have got another drink. Also a suggesting here go get yourself a burger, they usually never came back although the odd fecker whould come back in with the burger and eat it in the bar:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Is it not now illegal to serve someone who is too drunk, or did I imagine that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Terry wrote: »

As far as i am aware its always being illegal to serve somebody that is too drunk. Don't think its a new thing at all. Just policing it is the trouble. Different people will have different interpretations of what is "too drunk"

Terry wrote: »
    As far as i am aware its always being illegal to serve somebody that is too drunk. Don't think its a new thing at all. Just policing it is the trouble. Different people will have different interpretations of what is "too drunk"

Think it always has been.

Over here the cops try to get you on it if they do a visit.. and they try hard.

Always try to drop a charge of moderate intox customer to low intox and get a high intox to moderate intox :)
    Play nice with the cops and they'll be nice too. But what you have to factor in is the customer. If they play up, you're in trouble. I've only been done once for an intoxicated person on premise. He argued with the cops, wouldn't give his name or ID over.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In October 2009-

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/barmen-charged-as-hotel-guest-dies-from-alcohol-intoxication-1927506.html
    Remember seeing that. Thought it was a load of bo||ix then, and still think it now. Not for them getting charged, but them getting charged with manslaughter for someone vomiting after they left.

A load of bo||ix, as I never saw the amount that he drank. Some people can stagger home after a skinful of drink and shots, and some can get sick after 4 pints.

Both would be drunk after the 2nd pint.

I know those guys.
    One is a good friend of mine.

Sh!t spot to be in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Back in the 70s/80s it was easier or safer for a bar person to tell someone that they'd had enough to drink and that it was time to go home. Nowadays it is safer to leave it to the door men.

Man dies after drinking contest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

AFAIK it's the law in America for bartenders to ask that. Also, they are not supposed to knowingly let someone drive home drunk. If there is an accident they can be held partially responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Yourself

In October 2009-

Thursday October 29 2009

TWO barmen working in one of the country's most famous hotels have been charged with the unlawful killing of an Englishman who died from acute alcohol intoxication on the night of his birthday.
    The criminal case, the first one of "liquor liability" in Ireland, has been brought against two staff at the landmark Hayes Hotel in Thurles, Co Tipperary, following a lengthy investigation by gardai.

Rabies wrote: »
    I know those guys.
    One is a good friend of mine.

Sh!t spot to be in

Is this case still on-going? I think manslaughter is a very harsh charge. If it was this man's birthday chances are that his friends had been buying him drinks too and in a busy pub how closely can you manage that? also who's to say how much he had after he left the bar? Its a tough one feel sorry for anyone involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

we cant even get bollixed in peace anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Few years back, myself and a friend had been doing a weekend nixer, near where he lived. We finished up, went to his place, showered, changed and into hanlons pub. I walked up to the bar and ordered two, much anticipated pints, only for the bar man to say "can't serve you son, you've already had a skinfull!"I calmly pointed out that he must be mistaken as i hadn't had a drink in about 2 weeks, but he wouldn't have any of it!
    I'm still baffled by it!:mad:

• Advertisement

Yourself wrote: »
    Is this case still on-going? I think manslaughter is a very harsh charge. If it was this man's birthday chances are that his friends had been buying him drinks too and in a busy pub how closely can you manage that? also who's to say how much he had after he left the bar? Its a tough one feel sorry for anyone involved

Case is still going. Not going to talk about it on here.

But I've seen it in my line of work.
    People can arrive in looking sober and be smashed drunk with a few drinks.
    I often see younger people knocking back bottles of wine in alley ways or have coke bottles pre mixed on the streets.
    We try to control intox and the rate of alcohol when the customer is under our roof. But what the do before and after our venue is beyond our control.
    It can lead to a messy situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I've seen it happen a few times in the pub/off licence where I work. We have no bouncers so it's up to the bar staff, normally the most senior one on shift, to sort it out. Normally it's with a regular where the staff know him/her well enough to know when they shouldn't have another. There's a fine line between letting someone get 'happy' drunk and 'agressive' drunk. Thankfully most people don't cause problems so it doesn't happen all that much.

Advertisement