Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My repeat story + Advice to people who want to

• 16-08-2010 7:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hey everyone, my names Eoin, long time forum stalker so I decided to make an account. The results of the leaving will be coming up this Wednesday :eek: and for some of ye, your results will not meet up to your personal goals or preferred course. End of your world right ? Wrong. I had that mentality when I recieved 260 last year, but I deserved it. Typical case, lazy, too much gaming, too many days off school ect. Needless to say I really got a good kick up the ass when I opened up the results( at home ) and I realised I had really screwed up big time. So I decided to go back to school and repeat the LC ( in my old school )I got my second level 8 course but I wasn't happy with it . As an overall view of my repeat I found it to be one of the biggest eyeopeners and one of the most satisfying things I have ever done in my life. And remember, your first choice is your first choice for a reason. Are you really happy with that course which is lower down ? I know people last year that basically took the course that they got even though they didn't really want it as it was no.6 or something, and they ended up leaving the course and now have no motivation to do a course which is a pity :( And needless to say, if you want to repeat and you're not the one spearheading your motivation to improve your grades in school, you could easily slip back into your old ways.

So basically when I went for my repeat, the Xbox and everything like that went out the door ( or in a box :L ) I decided to take an extra HL subject. I was welcomed back in my school with open arms as i wasn't a troublemaker.... Just a 'lil lazy :P Teachers didn't give a crap and they liked that I was trying to make amends for the year before and i got on well with them all :) I studied which was unusual for me and got 350 in the Pre's ( laughable to some of ye I know, sure my girlfriend got 520 which was double my points :L ) My course I have applied for in Comp. Sci. in UCC ( CK401 ) and I think I'd have a good interest in this course, well I have to don't I if I'm repeating the whole year for it :) So this year I'm looking for 370+ or maybe 400 but If I get my course it will be worth it

So basically it was a tough decision, and I couldn't have done this year without my great friends, amazing mother and Fiona whom I love :D;)

So for any of ye that have the will and dedication to go through and repeat the leaving cert to get that #1 CAO spot, go ahead, you won't regret it... you get a whole new view on hardwork and how satisfying it is to see your hardwork turn those C's and D's into A's and B's :)

Don't hesitate to repeat if you're having doubts about the course, seriously, it's worth spending one year extra to get your course than spending 4/5 in a less desirable course :)

All the best on Wednesday :) EoinD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Great post, Eoin. I thought I would have to repeat for most of sixth year (and I may still have to) but your post was an inspiration, probably the best I've seen on this forum. I hope you get your course in Computer Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

brian1991 wrote: »
    Great post, Eoin. I hope you get your course in Computer Science.

+1 :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Fantastic post - thanks for sharing. It makes me feel a lot less nervous about the results!

Best of luck on Wednesday (and next Monday). I really hope you get your course!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

Ever since I finished the LC I'm convinced I'll have to repeat and I was really upset and freaking out (stupid I know since I havn't even gotten my results yet!), but your post has made me realise it won't be the end of the world if it gets me where I want to be :D so thanks Eoin and fingers crossed for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Good luck, hopefully you'll get your course, you deserve it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

well guys

I did the leaving three years ago 2008 for the first time, I did not get into TCD
    so I repeated again in 2009 , I still did not get in TCD
    So i repeated for the third time this year 2010 and hopefully i will get into TCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Honestly, repeating was the best decision I've ever made. And this is coming from the girl who, on results day last year, cried for hours straight and thought her life was over.

If you're not happy with your results and repeating is a viable option for you, I'd say go for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

When I got my results last year, I sank into a despair that I had never experienced before. I felt I had no future or, at the least, the future that I was going to have was not one that I wanted.

Choosing to repeat was very difficult, but, having done it, I can say it was one of the best decisions I had ever made. I grew up a lot more in that time, became more sure of who I was and built up a lot of confidence from last year.

Hopefully the personality-building hardship was worth it. Won't be long until I see the extent of my improvement. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Excellent post Eoin, best of luck to you and everyone else on the forum on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

A Changer wrote: »
    When I got my results last year, I sank into a despair that I had never experienced before. I felt I had no future or, at the least, the future that I was going to have was not one that I wanted.

Choosing to repeat was very difficult, but, having done it, I can say it was one of the best decisions I had ever made. I grew up a lot more in that time, became more sure of who I was and built up a lot of confidence from last year.

Hopefully the personality-building hardship was worth it. Won't be long until I see the extent of my improvement. :)

Wow you had the same experience as me. I just wish that people would see repeating as a good option to take if you weren't happy first time. Very good reply :-) seems others are in the same boat as me

• Advertisement

And remember, there's no shame in repeating. :-) no matter how your own pride or whatever tries to get in the way, just resist it and make sure that you are getting the best chances for yourself. It will pay off in years to come :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kezza

Im_EoinD wrote: »
    And remember, there's no shame in repeating. :-) no matter how your own pride or whatever tries to get in the way, just resist it and make sure that you are getting the best chances for yourself. It will pay off in years to come :-)

Eoin Dizzle , Fancy meeting you here ;) ,I'll take it you know who i am from Xbox ,Was surprised when i found your post but anyway , Eoin My Boy I'm kinda in the same spot as you were except i want to repeat 5th year ( I'm supposed to be going into 6th year starting Aug. 30th ) , But i Honestly I am not ready , I Picked horrible subjects , Honestly they're a joke , I missed a LOT of Days in both TY and 5th year! ( Over 100 in TY ) Mainly because of the same as yourself... The Xbox , Must say i enjoyed your Post though. Now i need advice as to what i should go about doing , I've heard you cannot do more than 6 years in a secondary school, And seeing as TY Is Compulsory in my school i've already under gone 5 , So this 5th year would be my 6th and , Next year's leaving 7th. I'm not too sure what i should do , If i sit the Leaving this year i will not do as well as i want to do , Even with study! Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks,
    ~ Kezza.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

could someone give examples of schools where could you repeat 3 subjects or all subjects,what about english u need to do new poems etc?

Just so everyone knows, i went up from 260 ---> 375 and just accepted my course in Computer Science in UCC. So glad i repeated now :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Woop. Went up from 395 to 560. Just accepted my place in medicine in Trinners. Repeat for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

theowen wrote: »
    Woop. Went up from 395 to 560. Just accepted my place in medicine in Trinners. Repeat for sure!

omg thats amazing! but may i ask how you did it?? like where did you repeat and cic you change subjects?? i got offered primary teaching this morning but it is veterinary that i want :( i got 495 and vet was 560 this year i dont know where im going to pull an extra 65 points out of! :( and im not to sure whether to repeat or not? any words of wisdom? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tara1993

Just so everyone knows, i went up from 260 ---> 375 and just accepted my course in Computer Science in UCC. So glad i repeated now :L

Hey,I've been coming on this site for a bit now,just browsing i suppose,but after I read your post I thought what harm could come if I tried it,it might even help..I dunno if you can help,but I think I'm so confused about what to do now I just maybe want to hear another persons outlook and right now I think I'll give anything a shot.Okay well the story is I got offered a course but but iv always kinda wanted to do medicine but in my last two years of school to be honest I didn't work as hard as I could...
    So in my head I've come to the idea to two things.
    1-should i just go to college and if i feel that strongly bout doing medicine after four years then i will do it some day.Cons-so would it be like the biggest waste of money and time to do maths when i thought i wanted to do something else...?
    2-should i repeat,like give a stab at it and like try as hard as i possibly can.Con-so i dont really think i would get it,even if i studied really really hard,like and with some course changes i dunno would i just really be setting myself up to do bad...?

I thought maybe if I wrote it down it might help.I suppose I'm open to any advice right now,thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

tara1993 wrote: »
    Hey,I've been coming on this site for a bit now,just browsing i suppose,but after I read your post I thought what harm could come if I tried it,it might even help..I dunno if you can help,but I think I'm so confused about what to do now I just maybe want to hear another persons outlook and right now I think I'll give anything a shot.Okay well the story is I got offered a course but but iv always kinda wanted to do medicine but in my last two years of school to be honest I didn't work as hard as I could...
    So in my head I've come to the idea to two things.
    1-should i just go to college and if i feel that strongly bout doing medicine after four years then i will do it some day.Cons-so would it be like the biggest waste of money and time to do maths when i thought i wanted to do something else...?
    2-should i repeat,like give a stab at it and like try as hard as i possibly can.Con-so i dont really think i would get it,even if i studied really really hard,like and with some course changes i dunno would i just really be setting myself up to do bad...?

I thought maybe if I wrote it down it might help.I suppose I'm open to any advice right now,thanks...

Well have a look at some of the facts first. You said you didn't really try in the last two years. So are you saying that you got lets say 520 in the LC, but could have got 570, or are you saying you got 375, but realistically could have got 450? You've also mentioned that you don't think you'd get it on the repeat anyway. Now you'll probably hear a lot of opinions saying 'repeat, if you pick the right subjects and work hard enough you'll get it'. However even with the HPAT, Medicine still requires a near perfect Leaving Cert. Do you think if you put your head down next year that you can get at least 6A grades, some of them A1s? That is the reality of applying for Medicine unfortunately. You will also have to fulfill all the requirements from one sitting of the LC, so you will need to take English, Irish, Maths and a language where it applies, and of course the relevant science subjects.

Now ask yourself why did you put Maths on your CAO, do you want to study it for the next four years and will you be happy studying it? Maybe you will, but also maybe another course more medically related might be more suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

HOBO123 wrote: »
    omg thats amazing! but may i ask how you did it?? like where did you repeat and cic you change subjects?? i got offered primary teaching this morning but it is veterinary that i want :( i got 495 and vet was 560 this year i dont know where im going to pull an extra 65 points out of! :( and im not to sure whether to repeat or not? any words of wisdom? :confused:
    Went the tute...though it's not all it's cracked up to be:rolleyes: Well, I just worked reallly hard from September. That's it really sorry :). I picked up two extra honours subjects and dropped pass Irish. Business and science, both fairly easy imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kezza

Well done Eoin!

• Advertisement
Advertisement