Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cladding or Hot dip galvanise

• 16-08-2010 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I'm blocking my garage at the moment and next step is to source the roof. Not sure what to go for yet, cladding or hot dip galvanise.

I know you can get non drip on the cladding, not sure about the galvanise, but does this really work. I will have a low pitch roof though!

I plan to keep a clasic car/turf etc in the garage & hope to put a small stove in at some stage but won't be lit on a regular basis over the winter, only when I'm working on the car.

So two questions for ye.....

1. Does non drip really work?

2. What would you use , cladding or hot dip galvanise?

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I would use cladding and felt it underneath. The non drip is very expensive, yes it does work, but im a creature of habit, and it it aint broke dont fix it

The cladding lookes better in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rob555mark

snyper wrote: »
    I would use cladding and felt it underneath. The non drip is very expensive, yes it does work, but im a creature of habit, and it it aint broke dont fix it

The cladding lookes better in my opinion

Thanks, what felt should I go for, that blue stuff used nowadays on house roofs?

& yeah, does look better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I have a CGI roof in the garage (nice if it was a garage ;) its become a workshop/store room) and it has a layer of woven black material (the very heavy grade type used to suppress weeds in the garden) then a layer of 2inch polystyrene with Corrigated Galvanised Iron on the top. Never drips, but if I was doing it I'm not sure I'd have used polystyrene and might have used more expensive foam insultation.

Edit> Also On a low pitched roof I'd think of double lapping the CGI because the rain sits there longer the wind can blow it up between the joints.

rob555mark wrote: »
    Thanks, what felt should I go for, that blue stuff used nowadays on house roofs?

& yeah, does look better.

That "blue stuff" is a fully breathable (<- cant spell it!) felt, but its not necessarily required for a garage, The fully breathable is between 80 - 130 / roll, it depends on brand and size.

You will be fine using a non tearable felt, the previous poster referred to it as similar to "weed block" which it is except its not as soft. Its about 38 euro a roll.

The fully breathable is more important in a house, a house will have alot more timber in the roof, but the shed shouldnt, the rafters arent as close togeather.. 30inch centers would be fine, using 3 by 2 as the battons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You could probably pick up odd lengths of double skin insulated cladding for small money from a cladding supplier or fixer. No worries about condensation there and its quick to fix with (I thinking about Kingspan panels).

• Advertisement

You could probably pick up odd lengths of double skin insulated cladding for small money from a cladding supplier or fixer. No worries about condensation there and its quick to fix with (I thinking about Kingspan panels).

I had thought of that too, however, its very common in a cream or light grey colour which in my opinion would look terrible on a garage roof, and on top of that it will cause a few problems i think in the finishing detail of it, particularly along the eaves. You will need an over hand of usually an inch or two to reach the gutter with any roofing system, nomal clad / slates/tiles, but with this stuff im not sure how it will look / work as the thickness might leave it in such a way that it will look "out of place"

Advertisement