Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next ten years in ground based and space based Astronomy.

Options
  • 16-08-2010 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭

Every ten Years after consulting with 100's of Astronomers and accepting submissions from same the National Resarch Council release a report in to what projects should be given priority for the next ten Years.
    Their recommendations are usually acted upon.
    In the last few days they have released their final report.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2010-08-16-astronomy16_ST_N.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

"We've been celebrating the good news all afternoon"
    Indeed.....what a life! Staggering figures re the new telescopes and their capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

eilejh wrote: »
    "We've been celebrating the good news all afternoon"
    Indeed.....what a life! Staggering figures re the new telescopes and their capabilities.

eilejh, Great that somebody replied,I was wondering was I talking to Myself again!:D

The only sour note seems to be how much is being spent on the James Webb Telescope,Many saying it is sucking up too much of the available budget.

It will carry on the Great Work Hubble began!

Don't Ya just hate people who only think about money and cannot see beyond next week?

Ha! I was just on another thread sayin' how extortion seems to rule the day lately. All I can say is.....can't wait for the next Presidential Election to tip some perceived balances.
    James Webb.I am going to read up on him. And his telescope. Thanks for posting such a fascinating article! Hats off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Hope the wfirst telescope finds some evidence of dark matter/energy, its a lingering problem with current theories and so far deep underground included we've found nothing!

'evidence of dark matter/energy'
    Me too!

(At that price I am sure they held the secret for a long time; hence the celebrating.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I really hope that someone manages to take an image of a habitable earth in my life time - that would be fantastic.

Hope the wfirst telescope finds some evidence of dark matter/energy, its a lingering problem with current theories and so far deep underground included we've found nothing!

you were watching the docs by Cox and Hawkings as well so?:)
    Hate it,just getting head around the big bang theory when so many brought it into dispute!

Really at risk of repeating Myself if research teams would work together more,all the results of space probes already collected and those still to come,i would bet the answers are if not already here then at least very close to the 'missing links' of the big bang theory.

Hawkings said to prove the Big bang theory the particle accelarator would have to show one particular element was created at the moment of collision.

I know it is out of action until? but did'nt it have two tests already?
    Any results been published does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

ynotdu wrote: »
    you were watching the docs by Cox and Hawkings as well so?:)
    Hate it,just getting head around the big bang theory when so many brought it into dispute!

Really at risk of repeating Myself if research teams would work together more,all the results of space probes already collected and those still to come,i would bet the answers are if not already here then at least very close to the 'missing links' of the big bang theory.

Hawkings said to prove the Big bang theory the particle accelarator would have to show one particular element was created at the moment of collision.

I know it is out of action until? but did'nt it have two tests already?
    Any results been published does anybody know?

No i think i saw it on the universe series on the science channel aswell as youtube, the poor guy has been deep underground for 4/5 years now trying to find some dark matter and nothing, can get a link if needs be!

Edit-just saw this in my subs on youtube about the new equiptment heading into space for the search.

the poor guy has been deep underground for 4/5 years now trying to find some dark matter and nothing,

and there was i thinking Osama Bin Laden spent ALL his time up to no good!;)

Advertisement