Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling line rental within contract

Options
  • 16-08-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

I have UTV broadband and for a number of reasons, namely its crap and I'm moving and wont be able to afford it, I want rid of it.

Problem is they want me to pay a cancelation fee of 60e for the broadband and then pay the rest of the line rental charges upfront for the remainder of the contract peroid which amounts to 230e. They say this is due to UTVTalk and not the broadband. I got a bundle cuz it was cheaper and its looking like its gona cost me 290e, in one lump sum, to get rid of it.
    That can't be right, can it?

My question is, how can I get out of paying the rediclious line rental charge for the contract peroid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Were you informed of a 12-month contract at the signup (even if that signup was over the phone)? Were you sent T&C a short while afterwards? If not, I'd suggest contacting a consumer/citizen advice centre, or a solicitor. In my opinion, it's reasonable to assume that all utilities come with a minimum service contract, so I'm not sure how far you'll get, but if you weren't adequately informed of what you were getting yourself in to, then you may have some chance.

In more general terms, the 12-month minimum line rental agreement is completely unjustified and designed, in my opinion, solely to be anti-competitive. If there was an associated cost to be offset over the minimum term, then why has this only become an issue now? Even more ridiculous for soft dial-tone reactivations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

cgarvey wrote: »
    Were you informed of a 12-month contract at the signup (even if that signup was over the phone)? Were you sent T&C a short while afterwards? If not, I'd suggest contacting a consumer/citizen advice centre, or a solicitor. In my opinion, it's reasonable to assume that all utilities come with a minimum service contract, so I'm not sure how far you'll get, but if you weren't adequately informed of what you were getting yourself in to, then you may have some chance.

In more general terms, the 12-month minimum line rental agreement is completely unjustified and designed, in my opinion, solely to be anti-competitive. If there was an associated cost to be offset over the minimum term, then why has this only become an issue now? Even more ridiculous for soft dial-tone reactivations.
    I have not recieved a copy of the contract from them or any trems and conditions. I cannot recall if a contract duration was mentioned on the phone.
    Citizens information are telling me that its still a legally binding contract so I might try and get to their free legal advice thing and see.
    I assumed that it was a 12 month contract but I only saw that for definite on their website on friday, I don't ever think they made that clear to me.

I would be ok with paying a penalty for leaving within the first 12 months but the line rental cost for the remaining duration is redicluous, who has that kind of money to give them? They're just preying on the low paid workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The line rental issue is legal but anti-competitive and within the power of Comreg to stop. It's not like cost of a subsidized Sky box + dish install (which you own and can be used for Free TV when you cancel).

Likely you have to pay, but the Line rental is unfair and unreasonable.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0308.html

Regulation 17.
    Contracts

17. (1) An undertaking that provides to end-users connection or access or both connection and access to the public telephone network shall do so in accordance with a contract.

(2) A contract referred to in paragraph (1) shall specify, inter alia —

(a) the identity and address of the supplier,
    (b) services provided, the service quality levels offered, as well as the time for the initial connection,
    (c) the types of maintenance service offered,
    (d) particulars of prices and tariffs and the means by which up to date information on all applicable tariffs and maintenance charges may be obtained,
    (e) the duration of the contract, conditions for renewal and termination of services and of the contract,
    (f) any compensation and refund arrangements which apply if contracted service quality levels are not met, and
    (g) the method of initiating procedures for settlement of disputes in accordance with Regulation 28.

(3) Where a contract is agreed between an end-user and a provider of electronic communications services, other than one providing connection or access or both to the public telephone network, such contract shall include the information specified in paragraph (2).

(4) An undertaking referred to in paragraph (1) or a provider of electronic communications services referred to in paragraph (3) shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service —

(a) of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and
    (b) their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification.

(5) A subscriber referred to in paragraph (4) may withdraw from his or her contract with the undertaking or provider, without penalty if he or she does not accept a proposed modification referred to in paragraph (4).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

I'm guessing that the landline rental has to be paid to E**c*m so they likely won't let you off that. If you can show that you are moving out of the country altogether or to a place where no landline is available - or have your landline disconnected - you should stand a good chance of being let off it... otherwise not. Worked at a call centre for a similar UK set up and that's how they handled this type of issue but it was always contentious with customers who hadn't read the small print when they signed up.

If you are just changing providers and still renting a line from E**c*m then you prob still have to pay the line rental but it means you won't have to pay the installation fee at the new address. I think. Don't quote me on any of this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You can simply change provider without telling UTV. UTV can then argue the toss afterwards.

Advertisement