Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greystones Slipway disaster

• 16-08-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I live in Greystones and am delighted with the new slipway to launch my fishing boat, the problem I have is the Sailing club blocking the slipway for anything up to an hour. The fishing boats arrive and get the boats ready outside the harbour and when there ready the reverse down the slip and are out in the water in minutes and the trailers parked out of the way.

The Sailing club (Who have there our compound around the the corner) bring there boats to the top of the slip and start getting them ready there and no one can get in or out until there gone. Even when there are out sailing and I have come back into the harbour to get my boat out of the water and the slip way it blocked with there little trailers..

Is anyone else having problems and has anything been said to the Sailing club??:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

have they got a website or something that you can complain

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

I dont think so, I have had a run in with a few of the instructors who think they own the place, its a public slipway for all to use and enjoy, its common manners in any form of boating or sailing not to block the slipway

thats only a new harbour if i can recall,TBH if that was me i would march straight up to the sailing club and give them a piece of my mouth,don't forget money talks-rich families spoiled kids..

whats the name of the sailing club an i'll see if i can find a website for them

Its Greystones Sailing club.. In one off my run ins with the instructors/parents I asked if they could give me a time table of when they sail so I could avoid them, they basically told me to mind my own business.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://gsc.ie/

joeduke, this is google, google, meet joeduke ;)

• Advertisement

Took my boat out yesterday and had a lovely 2 hours on the water, a few fish and a good time had by all.. then the same old story at the slip way..
    the sailing clubs boat trailers not only on the top of the slip but on both sides leading down to the water. I think the fishing boats should block the sailing club and see how they like it!! Greystones Sailing club get it into to your thick skulls and try and remember the first thing you learn about sailing, Dont block the slipway!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Have a look at this, these guy,s have it sorted.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho1705vkc-k

fergal.b wrote: »
    Have a look at this, these guy,s have it sorted.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho1705vkc-k

exactly the way it should be ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

I would park behind the next one who blocks you and go off for a pint for a few hours. Come back and see the sailing club al waiting for you. "You, you mean you dont want me to block the slip then?"

Better idea.
    Film them next time they block it and post it on youtube. Link so we can all see.

Yesterday a sailing club member got hit by a boat trailer..

As usual the slipway had sailing club trolleys/trailers all over the place, as the last fishing boat was launching along comes paddy last sailing boat and had no room to launch because all his fellow club members trolleys were in the way, so instead of waiting the 2 or 3 mins it would have taken the fishing boat to launch and drive up the slip and park out off the way he decided to try and squeeze past and as the fishing boat was moving forward the dope stepped out into the path of the on coming trailer and wacked him on the leg.. I hope your sore today!!:)

Somone is going to get hurt and its the Sailing cub instructors/senior members who will be to blame..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Slipway users could complain to the Council if they are regularly blocked, and copy the sailing club in the message, plus take a picture and send it, then brief the local paper - nothing a local rag likes like a local row! I don't know if there's a local coastguard or lifeboat, but a blocked slipway could impede any emergency response.

But maybe the Greystones sailing folk are from the shallow end of the gene pool!

Advertisement