Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Plaques

Options
  • 16-08-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I could get a listing of all of the historic building plaques in Dublin? You know the round brown signs...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Not sure if such a list exists.

For all war memorials/plaques in Dublin. Check out:

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/html/places.php

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council have created a list of the plaques in their area:

http://www.dlharbour.ie/content/history/in_honour_and_memory/index.php

That's about it AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kersti

Have been on the phone to the Dublin City COuncil, who put me on to the Heritage department. Apparently there is no record of all of these plaques and the Heritage people "actively discourage them"

How woeful is that! They're a great insight into local neighbourhoods... me thinks we should try to put together a list of them all, post the plaque's details or a photo of it together with it's actual address...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

kersti wrote: »
    Have been on the phone to the Dublin City COuncil, who put me on to the Heritage department. Apparently there is no record of all of these plaques and the Heritage people "actively discourage them"

How woeful is that! They're a great insight into local neighbourhoods... me thinks we should try to put together a list of them all, post the plaque's details or a photo of it together with it's actual address...

That's very interesting - and well done on going to the trouble of actually phoning up DCC.

I agree regarding them being a great insight into neighbourhoods. Ones that I can think of are at:

Merrion Square - a house resided in by WB Yeats

North Great George's Street - houses resided in by Prof Mahaffy and also Alderman Thorpe

North Frederick St - Stained glass artist Harry Clarke's former studio

I'm sure we can think of more :)

Advertisement