Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable sawmill in Clare

• 16-08-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I've dropped a few pretty big pine trees recently and was wondering if there is anyone in/near Co. Clare operating a portable sawmill (Woodmizer, etc.)?
    I'm considering buying an alaskan mill and ripping chain for my chainsaw but thought I'd see how much it might cost to have somebody else do the work first ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

cmac wrote: »
    I've dropped a few pretty big pine trees recently and was wondering if there is anyone in/near Co. Clare operating a portable sawmill (Woodmizer, etc.)?
    I'm considering buying an alaskan mill and ripping chain for my chainsaw but thought I'd see how much it might cost to have somebody else do the work first ;-)

There's not that many portable sawmills in the country, contrary to the rumours. And its very hard to get a good operator. We sold hurley ash off the land a couple of times and got a lad from Laois to do the sawing - he had no problem travelling once he knew that we had 2 days work for him each time. He was recommended by the hurley buyer and he charged us €1 per board. There are no mobile sawmills advertised on line for county clare, but there are a lot of hurley makers. if you contact any hurley maker, they will be able to give you details of people with mobile sawmill in the area - they tend to be the main suppliers of hurley ash to manufacturers anyway.

Another option would be to load the trees onto a tractor and trailer and bring them to a local fixed sawmill.

Not a fan of the alaskan mills. They're hard on the saw, the chain and the engine from continuous running. You lose a lot of wood from having the thicker blade. They are very difficult to have 100% straight boards with and they are hard on the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

Thanks for the info. I was thinking mobile sawmills are like hen's teeth alright.
    I understand what you're saying about the alaskan mills, but most of my timber goes to firewood so a few hard days work for both saw and man doesn't seem like a bad trade-off for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You could get a Logosol instead of an Alaskan mill, probably do a lot more with an M7 as well.
    They also sell their own brand ripping chain which is narrow kerf, you lose a lot less timber and get a better finish.
    You would want a decent saw though at least 70cc but preferably as big as you can get (120cc). Its very hard on the saw cutting end grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You could get a Logosol instead of an Alaskan mill, probably do a lot more with an M7 as well.
    They also sell their own brand ripping chain which is narrow kerf, you lose a lot less timber and get a better finish.
    You would want a decent saw though at least 70cc but preferably as big as you can get (120cc). Its very hard on the saw cutting end grain.

Thanks for the Logosol lead. I hadn't really looked in years and had forgotten all about them. Any idea what kind of money is needed to get an M7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks for the Logosol lead. I hadn't really looked in years and had forgotten all about them. Any idea what kind of money is needed to get an M7?
    Not sure now, they had a promotion recently, I think they were around the 2k mark. The older model was cheaper but not as flexible as well.
    They seem to be a very good system to me, lots of accessories if you need them. Their website is very good and has some cool stuff. Make your own solid floorboards and T+G log house beams!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 terry goggin

Hi there i have a LOGOSOL M7 MILL, I also have the BIG MILL SYSTEM and the LOGOSOL L S G . I have 3 chain saws 2 STIHL,s and an ECHO single handed saw for the climbing jobs. The BIG STIHL is a 660.. 90cc i think i was going for a HUSKY at the time but was told the STIHL had more bottom end power and it has ( IT EATs TIMBER ) I have it now about 1 and a half years it works about 10 hours a week FLAT OUT and no problem with the 20 or 24 or 36 or even the 48 inch bars. One gallon of petrol a day is all it uses ( and after burning it you will sleep no bother ) Tee secret with any chainsaw is to use proper chainsaw 2 stroke oil and not boat out board or motor bike 2 stroke if you do your engine will be gone in no time. you must also use proper chain oil this oil hase grease in it to carry the oil all the way around the bar.The cost of the M7 the L S G and the BIG MILL SYSTEM was about 4500 eure delivered to my door from SCOTLAND the uk vat is a killer now. Saying that there is no tree to big for the kit i now have a 6 or an 8 ft trunk is no prob, i might not be the fastest in the world but every plank as unique ( THERE WILL BE NO PLANK LIKE IT IN THE WORLD ) So i know there is i few months gone but do not hesitate to contact me.. I do not kill trees i bring dead trees back to life... irishchainsawmills.com

Advertisement