Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which dog Flea / Worm treatment?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering which Flea / Worm treatment people think works best.

We have a Cairn Terrier who is 10yrs, & for most of his life he's had Stronghold & drontol. He never really liked the Stronghold, as whenever we put it on him he'd run round the house for a few minutes like a nut case & try to rub it off. We told our vet about this & they assured us that it shouldn't be irritating him.

Over the last couple of years we have had to change vets a couple of times & each one has then recommended (or only stocked) different brands, firstly advocate, which he didn't react to:) & recently Frontline & Zantec, (again no reaction)

They all seem to be approx the same cost & I would just like to know which combination is best.

Fortunately so far (touch wood) he's never had any flea, worm or tick problems as far as we are aware, so either we have been lucky or they all work as well as each other.

your views much appreciated.
    Regards
    Myles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think Advocate is the best - it covers the greatest range of parasites (fleas, mites, ticks, worms) and I've found it to be extremely effective. The only parasite it doesn't kill is the tapeworm.

Tapeworm wouldn't be as common as roundworm, and you can usually see if your dog is heavily infested as there will be little pieces of tapeworm around the anus. But for peace of mind I always dose my dogs with Drontal tablets as well, as Drontal does kill tapeworm.

I would leave a week or two between giving the Advocate and giving the Drontal so as not to overload the dog's system. They're great products but all wormers/flea products take a toll on the liver. ;)

Some of the products advise to treat monthly but I do think that's excessive. Every three months or so is fine. :) Fleas and ticks are really only a menace in the summer months mostly but worms are a problem all year round - particularly if your dog goes to places where there are a lot of other dogs and people don't clean up after them - such as the park!

Advertisement