Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indexed vs friction

• 16-08-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

I was out yesterday on my tri bike and the the rear deraileur was clicking in certain gears, too lazy to fix it I swapped the shifter (7800 bar end) to friction from indexed... and I don't think I will ever go back. Anyone else running friction over indexed... should we dump STI in favour of a down tube mounted friction shifter :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I'm still friction shifting. You gain a lot in terms of convenience with integrated shifters but you do lose a bit of flexibility, and there's very little that can go wrong with a downtube or bar-end shifter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I changed to friction on my old road bike a few years back. It was mainly to tackle a mismatch between rear mech and cassette that I lazily never got round to resolving properly. For the first few months it was fine, but I missed the convenience of being able to basically just hit the lever and know that it was going to click solidly into gear. This became more of a problem after my friction levers started losing their (admittedly minimal) friction until they eventually became smooth, and from there things went rapidly downhill and applying pressure on the pedals sometimes caused an involuntary gear change.

Mechanical wear-and-tear issues asides though, friction is fine so long as you don't need to be sure of a quick and reliable gear change, I think, and then indexed wins hands down. I finally "resolved" my bike's gearing issues by converting it to fixed/singlespeed so you may be on a slippery slope yourself :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have friction shifters on my road bike, I just prefer them, no idea why as I can see many problems, but they suit my ad hoc style of bike repair. Also when I change anything on the bike (derailleurs, cassettes etc.) I know they will work perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I use friction too and I don't think I would ever change back to indexed. Good flexibility (can do any speed, really) and good reliability (like rottenhat says very little can go wrong). Also they are cheap as chips (50 euro for the Dura Ace 9 sp model).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

STI FTW Granddads.

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    STI FTW Granddads.

Listen here young whipper snapper, sometimes the old ways are the best ways
    STI and Ergopower have largely displaced downtube shifting, even though some cyclists still use downtube shifters for various reasons, including less expense, less weight, more flexibility, and better reliability. A compromise is to use bar-end shifters or Barcons. This type places the shifters closer to the hand positions, but still offer a simple reliable system, especially for touring cyclist. Drawbacks to STI and Ergopower systems include the higher weight, the higher price and the failure rate. There are many more parts in an STI or Ergo lever than in a downtube system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There are two types of indexed bar end shifters. The cheaper ones just click through different positions in the normal sweep, the expensive ones work like STIs with return to centre. I'd rather have RTC than friction shifters, as you don't end up with the shifters at funny angles - better for ergonomics and aerodynamics.

As for normal road bike shifting, for remote beardy sandal touring I can see the benefit of downtube shifters, but that's a pretty small niche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Lumen wrote: »
    with the shifters at funny angles - better for ergonomics and aerodynamics.

I dunno about funny angles - sometimes it's good to be able to "feel" or "see" what gear you are in by just looking at the shifter (I use bar ends)˙

As for RTC, I wouldn't be a big fan of that. Might as well just go STI in that case. Using bar end friction shifters, I can go from big to small on my cassette with one movement of my little finger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lumen wrote: »
    There are two types of indexed bar end shifters. The cheaper ones just click through different positions in the normal sweep, the expensive ones work like STIs with return to centre. I'd rather have RTC than friction shifters, as you don't end up with the shifters at funny angles - better for ergonomics and aerodynamics.

As for normal road bike shifting, for remote beardy sandal touring I can see the benefit of downtube shifters, but that's a pretty small niche.

I would like some of the SRAM rtc ones but at €350 I would be in no rush :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mloc123 wrote: »
    I would like some of the SRAM rtc ones but at €350 I would be in no rush :)

They're under £200 now. Bargain!

• Advertisement

I got these ones on sale:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13649

They were 24euro at the time. My cassette at the time was 8 speed but when I upscaled to a 10 speed I just flicked them to friction and they have worked perfectly ever since, not that I'd ever need Granny gear on the back (well thats a lie but we won't go into that right now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I used to have friction shifters, and I found them fine. I guess that you had to develop one skill -- judging how to make a smooth gear shift with a continuous spectrum of chain positions -- but didn't need to develop another -- tuning an indexed system.

Advertisement