Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air-born dog bug?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I was just speaking to a neighbour, who was told that there's a dog bug going around that is fatal to dogs. Apparently it started in Lucan. My neighbour didn't suggest that it kills dogs on the spot, but she thinks it could be harmful to dogs who never got their jabs, and that would include my dog. She's going to drop some info about it into me later, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

This seems a bit unlikely- or perhaps she is thinking of something like parvovirus, as that is one of the diseases that's covered in a standard 7 in 1 vaccine.
    Having said that, you should get your dog vaccinated as a vaccine costs a lot less than treating a sick dog, or losing your dog to one of these diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

My dog is thirteen, is it possible to still get her vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Yes, a dog of any age over 6 weeks can be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

i haven't heard of anything but your dog shoud be vaccinated as diseases like parvovirus can remain viable in the environment for up to a year, it's a very resistant virus and a very unpleasant disease your dog can get. Your dog should be vaccinated yearly as you can't guarantee that the other dieases eg: infectious canine hepatitis will not be present in the environment you are walking your dog in. It's exposing your pet to unnecesary risk and can result in a pretty hefty vet bill for you all for the sake of 35 euro a year. Flea and worm them regularly too. And dieases like leptospirosa can be transmitted to people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    My dog is thirteen, is it possible to still get her vaccinated?

yes it's never too late to start them. She will have to have two injections two weeks apart for the first year then its once a year after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would be wary of vaccinating a dog that old, particularly if she's never been vaccinated before. She doesn't have the robust immune system of a younger dog and the vaccinations could make her very ill. I would discuss it with your vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

boomerang wrote: »
    I would be wary of vaccinating a dog that old, particularly if she's never been vaccinated before. She doesn't have the robust immune system of a younger dog and the vaccinations could make her very ill. I would discuss it with your vet.

Definitely discuss it with your vet. There is a school of thought that dogs build up a natural immunity as they get older, and some people think that they don't need to be vaccinated after a certain age, usually around 8/9.

If your dog has lived for 13 years surrounded by all the various doggie diseases, and they are usually around, and not caught any of them, then I'd think she'd be okay. However, I'm not a vet, so definitely have a chat with yours and see what they recommend.

Advertisement