Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like a tomato on potato plant??

Options
  • 16-08-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any ideas what this is growing on my potato plant?

33cowmt.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

The potato and Tomato are same family... what you have is the new seeds developing for the potato plant ..

Allow the seed to mature and sow next Spring to see if you are lucky and have a Better new cultivar. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Potatoes and tomatoes are both in the same family (Solanaceae) and what you are looking at is a potato fruit, however it is POISONOUS but can be used as seed.

These fruits contain an alkaloid similar to strychnine and should not be consumed.

When nurseries are cross breeding varieties this is where the new variety starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've not come across this before. Is the potato fruit a common occurence?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Often happens in very dry years, or if the potatoes are planted in a very dry spot (eg. beside a wall ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Thanks for replies.

@Skrynesaver It's in a grow bag behind my house. :)

@jezko Well u learn something new every day. Same family as tomato. I will sow these next spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I've seen the same thing on my own potatoes this year. It's only my 2nd year growing them but I was unsure of what they were too. Thanks' for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I found a good few on mine too.
    Didnt know you could keep them for seed though. Must try that if I come across any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I found a good few on mine too.
    Didnt know you could keep them for seed though. Must try that if I come across any more.

Don't mistake them for "seed" Potatoes.. inside these "fruits" you will find seeds .. sowing them may produce New cultivars but very few if any will be as good the Parent. unless you are indeed very lucky. But if you have the time and Space do try it!

Advertisement